PCSX2 slower than expected.
I'm currently trying to run Dark Cloud 2 and Yu-Gi-Oh: The Beginning Of Destiny but it's fairly slow and the sound is distorted on both. I get around 40-50 FPS on menu's but during cutscenes and actual gameplay I get anywhere from 16-30fps. Have tried different graphical settings but I can't figure out what might be causing the problem, or if the games just arent supported terribly well.

I was able to run FFX with none of the above issues so I'm wondering if there's something I'm doing wrong.

Graphics Plugin is GSdx 883 (MSVC 15.00 SSE2) 0.1.13

I've tried switching the renderer from DX9 to DX10 with 0 improvements. Have tried using a speedhack (1.5x) but it doesn't help at all. Currently using Aspect Ratio 16:9 with texture filtering turned on and NLOOP hack turned on.

Sound plugin is SPU2-X 1.1.0

Havn't really tried alot with these as I'm not entirely sure what the settings do. Have switched from Linear to Nearest and back in the interpolation settings with 0 improvement. Tried switching the module from Xaudio to Directsound with no improvement and toggled the disable time stretching field on and off with no improvement.

If anybody would like more info let me know and I'll supply it.

My hardware setup is as follows:

AMD Phenom 9950 2.6Ghz Quad Core Processor
6GB DDR2-800
Galaxy GTX 260

If anybody has any suggestions or info as to what I might be able to do to diagnose the problems feedback is appreciated Laugh

Sponsored links

Some games are more demanding than others, and FFX is a fine example of a game that runs fast even on weaker hardware.
The main issue is the low clock speed of your cpu.

There are a few tricks to try though, mainly the speedhacks. Try the INTC and idle spin hacks first, if that's not enough, add the EE x2 hack.
Only in bad cases of slowness try the vu cycle steal one.
Remember: All the speedhacks have the potential to break the game, so theyr'e not the ideal solution Wink
(10-15-2009, 11:26 PM)rama Wrote: Some games are more demanding than others, and FFX is a fine example of a game that runs fast even on weaker hardware.
The main issue is the low clock speed of your cpu.

There are a few tricks to try though, mainly the speedhacks. Try the INTC and idle spin hacks first, if that's not enough, add the EE x2 hack.
Only in bad cases of slowness try the vu cycle steal one.
Remember: All the speedhacks have the potential to break the game, so theyr'e not the ideal solution Wink

Doesn't the software support Multi-threading though? While I realise the low clock speed is an issue, it's still got four cores to spread the load with.

I edited my original post with a bit more info as to what I've tried. But will try a faster speedhack to see if that helps any.
PCSX2 only uses 2 cores, so your other 2 cores are basically idle (apart from running any background services or programs). PCSX2 would run better on a higher-clocked dual-core than a lower-clocked quad-core. Effectively, it's like you're running a dual-core at 2.6Ghz. Many games require a dual-core at around 3Ghz+ to emulate at full speed.
[Image: yunacopy.jpg]
You're using pretty old plugins and I also guess 0.9.6. Use the latest beta, that will give you a pretty good speed boost. For problems using that, post here again.
http://pcsx2.net/files/21377

(You'll probably need this one: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/detai...02B2AF5FC2&displaylang=en )
[Image: newsig.jpg]