PS one game compatibility
So just for clarification, PSX emulation is actually a planned long-term goal or just "a nice feature to have"?

Because as far as I can tell the current state of PSX emulators development is moreless dead (or maybe I'm just tracking the wrong projects?), specifically on the graphics side. I know that GSDX can be used as a PSX plugin but the configuration is very limited and software-mode only.

So it would be definitely nice to see an already experienced team behind it, even if it'll probably take some time until it happens Tongue

Btw are there any documentations for the PSX/PS2 platform online (regarding hardware details, architecture, etc, basically eveything that one would need to emulate the platform)?

Sponsored links

Triver:
The PSX is nicely documented. Some parts are down to the transistor level Tongue2
http://problemkaputt.de/psx-spx.htm is probably the nicest.

There are kind of a lot of PSX emulators around these days. The best ones are fast
and accurate to the point I believe they run every game there is with maybe 0.1% of them having slight glitches.
Now these good ones are usually pc only and for other platforms, the millage varies.
Improving the graphics has been fully done 10 years ago and there's no point reviving that, other than portability maybe.

Lastly: Yes, PSX support is a planned feature Smile
(12-01-2014, 12:45 PM)rama Wrote: There are kind of a lot of PSX emulators around these days. The best ones are fast
and accurate to the point I believe they run every game there is with maybe 0.1% of them having slight glitches.
May I ask which ones you consider best to use (and if they are plugin dependent, which plugins would you recommend)?

Because the ones that I had the best experience with so far are PCSX-R and ePSXe where I prefer the first due to lilyPad support and it being open source (though most updates currently only target OSX).
But both still have their compatiblility issues with some games (not sure how many, sadly there is no game compatibility database like PCSX2 has) and even crash from time to time on my PC, though I'm not sure if thats the fault of the plugins that I use (Pete's plugins for sound/graphic, lilyPad for control).

(12-01-2014, 12:45 PM)rama Wrote: Lastly: Yes, PSX support is a planned feature Smile
Thats good news Smile

And thanks for the link, I was always a little curious about emulation development, hopefully this will clear up some things so I can try to code/patch some stuff on my own.
(12-01-2014, 02:18 PM)Triver Wrote: May I ask which ones you consider best to use (and if they are plugin dependent, which plugins would you recommend)?

Because the ones that I had the best experience with so far are PCSX-R and ePSXe where I prefer the first due to lilyPad support and it being open source (though most updates currently only target OSX).
But both still have their compatiblility issues with some games (not sure how many, sadly there is no game compatibility database like PCSX2 has) and even crash from time to time on my PC, though I'm not sure if thats the fault of the plugins that I use (Pete's plugins for sound/graphic, lilyPad for control).

Thats good news Smile

And thanks for the link, I was always a little curious about emulation development, hopefully this will clear up some things so I can try to code/patch some stuff on my own.

Indeed it is good news I am so happy Laugh
(12-01-2014, 02:18 PM)Triver Wrote: May I ask which ones you consider best to use (and if they are plugin dependent, which plugins would you recommend)?

If you want upscaled graphics and prettyness, PCSXR and ePSXe are probably the best.

There are other, more accurate emulators, but they don't let you upscale and what not.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Heh, honestly I gave up on upscaling PSX games. There are some cases where it works without glitches but they're rare and
even then it still looks just like a really old game. So what have I gained for the trouble? Tongue2

Instead I go with the authentic look on my TV. Take a good software rendering emulator and put the output directly onto an
old TV via RGB Scart. (Easy only if you're in Europe / PAL land). It's instantly perfect.
The other, easier way is using fancy CRT emulation shaders such as "CRT Royale" that you can find in Retroarch. It also happens
to use one of the most accurate (software only) PSX emulators Smile

The authentic look doesn't really improve your old games but rather it "fixes" them to be at least as nicely looking, as they were intended to be.
Without the whole analogue stuff over them, ambiguous graphic elements do not work (stuff in shadows, for example), the low resolution is clearly
standing out, and much pixel art is simply lost.

In this example, don't compare the 2 from first impression but rather if the art intention works, or not. This is dithering. It requires low res and bad cables and is totally unintuitive to our HD-ified minds of today Tongue2

[Image: 1396005871035.jpg]
(12-02-2014, 12:38 AM)rama Wrote: Heh, honestly I gave up on upscaling PSX games. There are some cases where it works without glitches but they're rare and
even then it still looks just like a really old game. So what have I gained for the trouble? Tongue2

Instead I go with the authentic look on my TV. Take a good software rendering emulator and put the output directly onto an
old TV via RGB Scart. (Easy only if you're in Europe / PAL land). It's instantly perfect.
The other, easier way is using fancy CRT emulation shaders such as "CRT Royale" that you can find in Retroarch. It also happens
to use one of the most accurate (software only) PSX emulators Smile

The authentic look doesn't really improve your old games but rather it "fixes" them to be at least as nicely looking, as they were intended to be.
Without the whole analogue stuff over them, ambiguous graphic elements do not work (stuff in shadows, for example), the low resolution is clearly
standing out, and much pixel art is simply lost.

In this example, don't compare the 2 from first impression but rather if the art intention works, or not. This is dithering. It requires low res and bad cables and is totally unintuitive to our HD-ified minds of today Tongue2

[Image: 1396005871035.jpg]

I tried running PS one emulator on my modern PC all I got is a BSOD by the way I am running windows 8

Thats good news Smile

This is a PSX compatibility database I found:
http://ks23364.kimsufi.com/psxdata/datab..._list.html
(12-02-2014, 01:53 PM)dhillel Wrote: This is a PSX compatibility database I found:

What is that about...?
(12-02-2014, 12:38 AM)rama Wrote: Heh, honestly I gave up on upscaling PSX games. There are some cases where it works without glitches but they're rare and
Well I don't really care if the game looks dated as long as its an improvement over the original (or at least a higher resolution).
And considering the original PSX resolution is relatively small (pretty much everything below 800x600 is a pain to look at on a 1920x1080 display Tongue), I would say its very well worth the effort to try to improve that.

dhillel Wrote:This is a PSX compatibility database I found:
Thanks, I found this as well some time after I wrote my post but this database is only targeted towards ePSXe which as I said, I try to avoid to use due to closed source and no support for lilyPad plugin.