PS2 CGI scenes look grainy?
I've been messing with settings forever trying to figure if there is a way to fix this. I set my internal resolution to 1920x1200, and the games all look AWESOME. However, when there is a CGI cutscene like in FFX or kingdom hearts, it always looks like is playing in 640x480. Is there a way to fix this?

Sponsored links

The FMVs are prerendered, you can't really do much about it. And it also depends on the game, some games have beautiful FMVs but in others they look really pixelated and blocky and that's just the way they were recorded.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
It tends to do with compression. You can really see it in games like Xenosaga which when rendered in higher res look beautiful. However the CG's in the game are noticeably artifacting with macro blocking and pixelation. You can filter the movies in an attempt to clear that up but that will just blur away the artifacts not make it look all that much better. It makes the transitions in some games from prerecorded cutscene to in game cutscenes very jarring like the opening of Dragon Quest VIII. I also used to be a big fan of prerender CGI cause it tends to look better then anything the system could put out but I'm turning into a big fan of ingame cutscenes with PCSX2.
Can you tell rendered on-the-fly cutscenes from pre-rendered one?
(07-26-2011, 06:46 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: The FMVs are prerendered, you can't really do much about it. And it also depends on the game, some games have beautiful FMVs but in others they look really pixelated and blocky and that's just the way they were recorded.

the difference is prerendered cg vs scripted (realtime) cg

KH1 and 2 uses realtime CG
KH:CoM is prerendered.
(07-26-2011, 12:27 PM)Livy Wrote: Can you tell rendered on-the-fly cutscenes from pre-rendered one?

yes, easily.