User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
PS2 Character model swapping.
Asmodean Offline
★( `_´)乂(`_´ )★

PS2 Character model swapping.
Edit: This thread is over a year old, it got necro'd

So,

I started playing Final Fantasy X again recently, as i've not played it properly in about 9/10 years, and didn't remember the character models looking so gnarly, in comparison to the HP ones, and it got me thinking.

This is all for personal use by the way.

Does anyone know how to actually gain access to all the 'hidden' files on a PS2 disc, correctly? (programs to do this, don't do it right) eg, the meshes, texture's locations on the disc etc. Basically, what i'm trying to do is swap the low poly main character models for the high poly models of the same type, so when the game calls on the low poly FFB files during gameplay, it will call the high poly FFB with the low poly identifier. I've already added the missing animations (swimming/combat) to the hq ones.

This means I need to gain access to these files in order to 'swap' them?, but everything i've tried so far has been fruitless, I've also tried hex editing, but I'm not spending a year looking for the right addresses.

So, I stuck my disc on an iso, to try have a root around for the 'high quality' versions of the main characters and managed to get them extracted with a dos tool called ffxdumper, but I have yet to figuire out how to get the edited models back into the game's hidden archives.

They had some sick HQ models in this game, especially considering how old it is now.

[Click images to enlarge]

[Image: Lulu.png]

[Image: Rikku.png]

[Image: Tidus.png]

[Image: Yuna.png]

[Image: Wakka.png]

[Image: Kimahri.png]

PCSX2: Widescreen Patches
GSDX: GSdx FX Shaders
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2013 08:20 PM by Asmodean.)
01-30-2012 03:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Sponsored links

miseru99 Offline
Translator

RE: PS2: Character model swapping, ..possible?
If that was pc game, no problem, but console games have different models for a reason;P, hi-poly models most likely will slow down those scenes low-polys are used normally. Have no idea about existing program which would be able to help you, probably couse there's none, maybe somebody over qhimm forums would know better. Althrough the community there is modding VII/VIII(and pc versions), but at least it does have a bunch of information about file formats used by square which could potentially be usefull if it didn't changed too much on ps2.

01-30-2012 05:08 PM
Asmodean Offline
★( `_´)乂(`_´ )★

Thanks for the reply, I understand why thery're not loaded Smile but speed aside, for the moment. I figuired it would really refresh the game for a replay. It's just frustrating that they are IN the game, yet I can't utlize them lol, I'll check out the forums you mentioned. I'm probably chasing my own tail with this though of course, but it's very tempting, if I could manage it.

Thanks again for the responce.

(This post was last modified: 03-23-2013 04:52 PM by Asmodean.)
01-30-2012 05:30 PM
Mkilbride Offline

I think the models still look incredible, so I find the gnarly comment weird.

A 2001 game with models that look better than 2012 console games models. I'd say they look great.

Only Nintendo consoles ever support this. From Gamecube to Wii, you can have high res texture packs. Tongue

Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHZ, 8GB RAM 1866MHZ, GTX670 SLI OC'ed 30%(Increase Voltage), 128GB Samsung 830 SSD + 2 1TB HDDs.) Windows 7 64-bit Professional
01-30-2012 05:40 PM
miseru99 Offline
Translator

Actually speed could still be an issue, at most pcsx2 can run the game only as smooth as original ps2, even if the game have low requirements in case it uses fully EE/VU, it'll not really use more just couse pc can give it, at least not without negative slider hacks which increase EE/VU cycles instead of taking them, but that's pretty much future plans(if that's even not pre-plans stage, couse from simple hack tries it turns out very buggy).

01-30-2012 05:55 PM
Asmodean Offline
★( `_´)乂(`_´ )★

These arn't custom textures, these are Square's official FFX models/textures lol (they are already in the game, just not used, ps2 power limitation), they are only used during certain cut scenes in the game. What I was trying to do is find a way to override the low quality ones with the high quality ones in the iso copy of the disc, so there is no low/high transition, but just high, ..if you get my meaning? Smile

Oh, and the gnarly statement, was the difference between the two types, you have to admit, after looking at the high poly ones for a few minutes, then returning to look at the low poly ones, they make them looks like sh*t lol

Thanks for the responce btw.

(This post was last modified: 03-23-2013 04:53 PM by Asmodean.)
01-30-2012 05:56 PM
Mkilbride Offline

Eh, I don't think they look like *****. Also, the PS2 is being emulated. If the PS2 couldn't handle them, then PCSX2 can't either, as it is emulating the PS2, hence why some games get slow-downs, even when your PC isn't being maxed out.

I also highly doubt you can run it @ 4096 x 4096 @ 2xAA...as there is a simple limitation here you're messing with. I think you're expecting a little much here.

The game looks amazing compared to how it looks on the PS2. You got higher resolution, AA, AF, save states, ectera.

Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHZ, 8GB RAM 1866MHZ, GTX670 SLI OC'ed 30%(Increase Voltage), 128GB Samsung 830 SSD + 2 1TB HDDs.) Windows 7 64-bit Professional
01-30-2012 06:08 PM
xstyla Offline
hobby coder

I doubt the highpoly models would work in the standard flow of the game. they use much more memory. I'd think you'd loose a good bit of performance when the models are on screen with all that data. or must certainly the main memory just flows over and the game crashes on the emulator.
01-30-2012 06:11 PM
Asmodean Offline
★( `_´)乂(`_´ )★

(01-30-2012 06:08 PM)Mkilbride Wrote:  Eh, I don't think they look like *****. Also, the PS2 is being emulated. If the PS2 couldn't handle them, then PCSX2 can't either, as it is emulating the PS2, hence why some games get slow-downs, even when your PC isn't being maxed out.

I also highly doubt you can run it @ 4096 x 4096 @ 2xAA...as there is a simple limitation here you're messing with. I think you're expecting a little much here.

The game looks amazing compared to how it looks on the PS2. You got higher resolution, AA, AF, save states, ectera.

As much as I appreciate your responses, that comment didn't make much sense to me lol. The PS2 certainly couldn't handle playing the game @ 4k res, yet pcsx2 manages it perfectly, so the statement if the ps2 couldn't do it, then the EE/VU couldn't do it either is a bit odd, no?

You don't agree it would be very nice to play the whole game with the real character models? I think the high poly ones, look even better than 2012 pc game's player models lol, but it is Square tbf, always had insane visuals.

(This post was last modified: 03-23-2013 04:53 PM by Asmodean.)
01-30-2012 06:19 PM
xstyla Offline
hobby coder

(01-30-2012 06:19 PM)Asmodean Wrote:  I have pcsx2's .h file edited to handle more than 2gb's of memory, which should prevent that from happening.

you don't get that huh? the PS2 has 32MB of main memory. that's it what's gonna blow up. That's why I wrote "the game crashes on the emulator" not the emulator crashes. that's a very fine difference. Wink

on a coders sidenote: if you manage to rewrite the executable or any file index of the game you'd be wise to remake the PS2 specs to virtually extend the main memory or that of the GS to display that load of data without constantly reloading files from the disc into the file caches of the game running and having enough memory for the textures.
01-30-2012 07:11 PM

Current time: 12-21-2014, 02:23 AM