PS2 ISO compressing
Since my PS2 died so i decide to use PCSX2 to play again my favorite games. My problems is I have tons of PS2 games cant rip it all cause im running out of storage. I want to compress to save storage. Is there a way like Dolphin?

Sponsored links

Compress it with 7z using ultra compression level.
(11-20-2014, 05:59 PM)Accelerator01 Wrote: Since my PS2 died so i decide to use PCSX2 to play again my favorite games. My problems is I have tons of PS2 games cant rip it all cause im running out of storage. I want to compress to save storage. Is there a way like Dolphin?

You can try the ECM method. I should note that it's not supported by PCSX2 so you will have to unECM your disk image afterwards.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cwy93jlsynvjwkg/ECM.zip?dl=0

Uploaded it to my dropbox. To use it, you simply drop the image on top of the executables to compress and decompress respectively. Simple enough.
(11-20-2014, 06:05 PM)K.F Wrote: Compress it with 7z using ultra compression level.

I 2nd this but with gzip.
avih has written a new gzip-iso-loader:
corresponding thread

Compression can slow you down during high disk access rates and due to cpu usage. Only recommended if you have a decent cpu and don't have problems with small slowdowns while textures are loaded.
create a solid archive with winrar, should compress it fairly well.
It depends if you want just want to store your ISOs for the future (use 7zip ultra setting then)
or you would instead want to actively play them (check willkuer post)

ps: rar sucks. worse compression ratio and closed source. Besides "solid" flag does nothing if you have just a single file to work with
I believe he means he wants to compress them and play them when they are in compressed format. You can try NTFS compression.
All latest PCSX2 builds support .gz (use 7z to compress). When the image is loading for the first time it will create an index so it will speed up access of the compressed iso next time by reading the index. I saved a lot of space that way and i have no slowdowns!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i7 [email protected], P8P67, ASUS HD7870 CUII, 8GB 1600 GSkill, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Thanks and it works i save about 6gb but it took time to compress my games. I have another question. Does compression can have impact on performance? Im ok with longer loading times
My games are compressed into .7z format. Will it still create this index after loading for the first time in this format or is that just for .gz?

I'm glad I found this thread as slow loading times brought me to this. I am running a hyperspin front end and the ps2 loading times are just so slow, but I don't have enough HD space for ISOs. Will there ever be support for wbfs files for pcsx2? That has been great for Wii because you get a file that is usually smaller than the compressed one and it loads instantaneously.