Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PS2 MC encryption
Question 
PS2 came up on China ban on consoles possibly being lifted and I found this.
Quote:The memory card is controlled because it contains incredibly powerful encryption technology. Japan's rules say that anything with higher than 56 bit encryption has to be controlled. Playstation 2 uses 128 bit encryption.

Sony says it made it that powerful in order to stop customers copying music and videos with their Playstation.
Was this ever used? The PSX DVR is the only thing I can think of but 8MB isn't going to fit a lot of music or video. Did the PS2 support bigger or did the 3rd party ones use buttons to cycle blocks? I don't think anyone would think distributing music or video on memory cards instead of CD/DVD would be good idea (did anyone buy the GBA video carts?).

Sponsored links

I don't think the memory cards are encrypted, there might be a crc, this is why we have third party tools that can read them.
[Image: ref_sig_anim.gif]
Like our Facebook Page and visit our Facebook Group!
I think he's talking about the magic gate encryption
[Image: newsig.jpg]
yeah, i figured as much ;p That is in there..
[Image: ref_sig_anim.gif]
Like our Facebook Page and visit our Facebook Group!
Magic Gate encryption for music that is stored on 8MBs? Even AAC @ 128kbps (the quality efficient codec wasn't available back then but let's say in theory) wouldn't fit more than 2-3 tracks. Also the speeds, especially the write one is useless. By the time PS2 was launched, CDRs and burning hardware were super cheap and they could hold 700MB+ so I don't get the whole thing. As for video, I doubt it would be worth it (8MBs) with anything else than AAC-HE and H264/H265 that none were available at the time, nor PS2 really has the processor ability to handle such resource hungry codecs such as H265.
So file this under paranoia probably from the music/movie division. Preventing non existent memory card piracy was more important than selling PS2's to the rest of the world.
(01-29-2013, 11:48 PM)VIRGIN KLM Wrote: Magic Gate encryption for music that is stored on 8MBs? Even AAC @ 128kbps (the quality efficient codec wasn't available back then but let's say in theory) wouldn't fit more than 2-3 tracks. Also the speeds, especially the write one is useless. By the time PS2 was launched, CDRs and burning hardware were super cheap and they could hold 700MB+ so I don't get the whole thing. As for video, I doubt it would be worth it (8MBs) with anything else than AAC-HE and H264/H265 that none were available at the time, nor PS2 really has the processor ability to handle such resource hungry codecs such as H265.
The PS2 really does have a lot of power, it could probably handle h.265 at 480 if someone who knows what they are doing codes a player for it. The PS2's CPU prolly has as much power as my 1GHz Thunderbird, and it can play 480p videos downloaded from youtube without dropping frames with whatever codec is packaged into the .flv container.

(01-30-2013, 02:40 PM)DaMan Wrote: So file this under paranoia probably from the music/movie division. Preventing non existent memory card piracy was more important than selling PS2's to the rest of the world.

RIAA and the MPAA is a cancer that needs to be removed from the world, and their executives locked up for life, and the keys thrown away.
(02-02-2013, 02:59 PM)The Walking Glitch Wrote: The PS2 really does have a lot of power, it could probably handle h.265 at 480 if someone who knows what they are doing codes a player for it. The PS2's CPU prolly has as much power as my 1GHz Thunderbird, and it can play 480p videos downloaded from youtube without dropping frames with whatever codec is packaged into the .flv container.
This has a hardware based-decoder plus PS2's memory speeds and memory capacities are so low that I doubt it would work with anything more than 360p in super low bitrate, if that.
There are alot of new processors that struggle to decode (in software mode) h265 so PS2 is simply a joke.
Well the point is that whatever you think about this whole anti-piracy system is as retarded as Sony is now in the industry.
(02-03-2013, 01:33 AM)VIRGIN KLM Wrote: This has a hardware based-decoder plus PS2's memory speeds and memory capacities are so low that I doubt it would work with anything more than 360p in super low bitrate, if that.
There are alot of new processors that struggle to decode (in software mode) h265 so PS2 is simply a joke.
Well the point is that whatever you think about this whole anti-piracy system is as retarded as Sony is now in the industry.

You're also forgetting that the EE was ahead of its time, and on par with the Powermac G4s when it came to computation power. Yes, the 32MB RAM limit would make it impossible to play any practical 480p video on it, unless you put the video on a DVD. Also, if someone who knows more on this matter could comment, but I was under the impression the PS2 did software decoding on DVDs? If you were referring to my Thunderbird, it does not, it's woefully out of date when it comes to those technologies. But it can still browse the web, play video, edit documents, and stream music just fine, albeit with a little patience and understanding.Tongue
The IPU does the video decoding. Video decoding is integer work so the VUs won't be of much use.