PS2 RPGs @ 1080p (New PC Questions)
Hey, guys!
I'm going to put together a new PC, just for running emulators (most notably, PCSX2) and play em back on a 1080p plasma HDTV (using DVI->HDMI)

From what I've read, it looks like I need to have either:
an i5 750 @ 4 GHz, or
an i7 930 @ 4.2 GHz as my CPU.
For my OS, Windows 7 (32 bit) looks like a good fit so I can use Direct X 10.
I'm going to have a dual-boot environment with XP (32 bit) in case any of my older console emulators need it.

Before I start buying hardware, I need to know a few things.
First, should I go for the i5 or the i7?
If i go for the i5, I'm going to get (two 1 GB sticks) 2 GB of memory in Dual Channel Mode.
If i go for the i7, I'm going to get (three 1 GB sticks) 3 GB of memory in Triple Channel Mode.

Second, is the Graphocs Card.
Will an nvidia 8600 GT with 512 MB of DDR3 be good enough?
If not, what nVidia graphics card do you recommend?
Please also keep in mind the 4 GB memory limit with 32-bit windows OSes.
However, I can step up to Windows 7 64-bit, if you all think I need to.

To be clear, here is a list of all of the PS2 Games I own, and would like to play in 1080p (@ 60 Hz).
4:3 (1440 x 1080) Internal Resolution.
16:9 (1920 x 1080) Internal Resolution.

I've already checked the Compatibility list for my games, and excluded the ones that aren't 100% compatable
All Games are the USA Version, except where marked.
AR Tonelico: The Melody of Elemia
AR Tonelico: Melody of Metafalica

Arc The Lad: Twilight of Spirits
Atelier Iris 1 Eternal Mana
Atelier Iris 2 The Azoth of Destiny
Atelier Iris 3 Grand Phantasm

Dark Cloud
Dark Cloud 2

Dawn of Mana

Dot Hack 1 Infection
Dot Hack 2 Mutation
Dot Hack 3 Outbreak
Dot Hack 4 Quarantine

Dot Hack GU 1 Rebirth
Dot Hack GU 1 Terminal Disk
Dot Hack GU 2 Reminisce
Dot Hack GU 3 Redemption

Dragon Quest VIII

Dual Hearts

Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy XII

Grandia II
Grandia III
Grandia Xtreme

Ico [Europe]

Inuyasha: The Secret of the Cursed Mask

Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts II

Legaia 2: Dual Saga

Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis
Mega Man X: Command Mission

MS Saga: A New Dawn

Radiata Stories

Rogue Galaxy

Shining Force EXA
Shining Tears

Star Ocean: Till The End of Time

Suikoden III
Suikoden IV
Suikoden V

Tales of Destiny 1 [Japan] (Unknown compatibility)
Tales of Destiny 2 [Japan] (Unknown compatibility)
Tales of Rebirth [Japan] (Unknown compatibility)
Tales of the Abyss

Virtua Quest

Wild ARMs Alter Code F
Wild ARMs 3
Wild ARMs 4
Wild ARMs 5

Xenosaga: Episode 1
Xenosaga: Episode 2
Xenosaga: Episode 3

The main reason why I would like to make a PC for PS2 (and other, older consoles) emulation is because of my TV.
I've been using a Fat PS2 with HDLoader, and it has served me well for many years.
However, ever since I replaced my aging 32" Standard Def CRT
with a 46" 1080p plasma HDTV, I find it rather difficult to play PS2 games on it, due to the low resolution output of the PS2 Console.
I think that playing Xbox 360, (and PS3) Games in HD have spoiled my eyes! Tongue

I've experimented with the new PCSX2 beta 0.9.7 (r3113) using my HTPC, and the picture quality, while excellent, is slow as hell.
That's because it has an old dual-core socket 939 processor and a low-end, fanless, nVidia 9400 GT graphics card! Wacko
Don't get me wrong, it plays back 1080i and 720p HD TV recordings (Hauppauge HD-PVR and HDHomeRun) just fine, as it was intended to do, but it is way too weak for PCSX2.
My PCSX2 Rig:Windows XP x32 & Windows 7 x64.
i5 2500k @ 4.0 GHz.
nVIDIA GTX 460 1 GB.
>Dun Click Here<

Sponsored links

I'm a noobie here without a ton of PCSX2 experience, however, I do have a good bit of PC knowledge. Not regarding intel stuff thoug, lol, sorry.

Anyway, the point is I think you should go with an 8800GT or a 9800GT. Both can be had for under $100 at this point and provide a significant increase in performance over the 8600/9600. The 8000/9000 series are basically the same. I've got an 8800GT which I'm using now to play FF12 on PCSX2 and it is working very well.

The card isn't being put under a tremendous amount of stress either. Also you would have the option to play some of the more recent PC games with an 8800GT. With an 8600GT it will be a severe bottleneck in your performance.

Personally I'd go with the I7 as well, as the extra GB of ram is nice and more power is always a good thing imo. I'm not real current on intel hardware, but, if the price difference isn't incredibly prohibitive I'd got for the newer stuff.

Anyway, hopefully somebody else can help you out more.

-Dornobrac
i think that for that resolution you need a GTX260 or a GTX480 if you can afford one.

PS: Nice collection of games dude Smile .
If playing with high resolution you should definetly consider a better graphic card than 8600GT. Ive got the 8800GT and it cant get over 1000x1000 in more demanding games. Works wonders in less demanding games like FFX. I would have to agree with the above poster and say GTX260 or better if your looking for HD quality in all your games.
Specs:
CPU: C2D E8400 @ 3.6
GPU: GTX 560Ti 2Gb
MOB: Asus P5QL
RAM: Crucial 4Gb
It should definitely be a GTX260 class card, *preferably* with even more than the 896MB ram it comes with.
For your CPU, the i5 750 @ some 4Ghz will do nicely, you may want to consider waiting half a year though.
Intel has a new CPU evolution in the pipeline that looks very promising (Sandy Bridge, expected in Q4 2010).

With that system, it'd definitely be a waste to settle for 32bit Windows, imo Tongue2
In some games my 4850 1GB can't even go higher than 2x scaling without severe fps drops, so yeah get something along GTX260 or higher (or even maybe ATi 58XX if you want to be sure enough), 8600GT and 1080 is downright impossible.
The i5-750 and i7-930 should perform around the same clock for clock in PCSX2. At this point, both are pretty much dead-end sockets (unless you fancy spending $800+ for a Gulftown CPU). I'm usually biased towards Lynnfield because of lower power consumption, but at the overclock you're planning, I have a feeling you won't be seeing much (if any) power savings.

Another thing, looks like you're trying to save some dough on RAM. I suggest buying one 2GB stick rather than 2x1GB sticks. Running in dual or triple channel mode, while helpful, isn't really going to make for significantly improved performance. You're better off getting 2GB now and then just adding another 2GB later.
the other added 2gb must be exactly the same to work in dual link etc. and even if he finds the same it will not work probably (there is a reason they sell them in packets...) so going from the start to the final amount of ram is recommended for dual channel 2x2gb or triple 3x2gb thats how it works... and well the speed he will get from that its not that bad, specially the triple channel extra bandwidth is a nice boost (yep even in pcsx2 if the ram's got good timings etc)
OS: Win 7 Ultimate x64 sp1, MoBo: Asus P5QD Turbo, CPU: Q6600 @ 3,0Ghz, RAM: Trancend 2x2gb 6-6-6-18 800 MHz, GPU: HD 4850 1gb.
Pcsx2: Always Latest
^ Nope it will not make any difference, try it yourself if you don't believe it.
i can say it cause 1) i did tried it my self (things got faster with dual channel) and 2) it DOES makes things faster as any benchmark and real life experience will tell you....
OS: Win 7 Ultimate x64 sp1, MoBo: Asus P5QD Turbo, CPU: Q6600 @ 3,0Ghz, RAM: Trancend 2x2gb 6-6-6-18 800 MHz, GPU: HD 4850 1gb.
Pcsx2: Always Latest