PS2 can run PSX games...
I would like to know how the ps2 runs ps1 games

I know the PS2 has the PS1 MIPS processor, I am not sure about the Graphics or Sound, does the PS2 use the graphic Synthesiser for PS1 games.

Secondly does the PS2 have its own PS1 Bios.

Sponsored links

Honestly, we're not entirely certain yet.

What we do know:

* The PSX game is booted 'normally' on the IOP Processor with it's COP2 enabled (that's the GPU helper on the PSX, and is normally disabled on the PS2).

* There is no PSX GPU in the PS2. Only the core R3000A processor and it's COP2 unit.

So the predominant theory is that the PSX's GPU 'hardware registers' are re-directed to the EE/VU/GS somehow. It could be mostly through special hardware handlers, or software translation. We'll probably take some time to figure it out someday, or maybe someone else will take the time to figure it out and offer info/code contributions (although that seems less likely).
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
May be useless information, but still...
The day before, while trying to run a PS1 game (SOtN) on PCSX2, I accidently found out, that PCSX2 d3d9 graphic plugin works with PSSX1! (the game's still not playable, cuz the plugin has no fps limit function, and pcsx1 stores this function in the graphics plugin, not in the core, like PCSX2 does). Basically, the idea was to render PS1 screen in d3d9 and see, how it looks (btw, it looks awesome).
My idea of writing this is just to let you know the fact-PCSX1 takes PCSX2 d3d9 plugin.
Any ideas, what does it mean?
P.S. the "Native" plugin is not even detected by PCSX1, I dunno, what it means.
P.P.S. sry for being naive, if I am.)
(09-27-2010, 04:52 AM)DouViction Wrote: My idea of writing this is just to let you know the fact-PCSX1 takes PCSX2 d3d9 plugin.
Any ideas, what does it mean?

The plugin author made the plugin compatible with PSX emulators once before when he was interested in PSX emulation (not PSX support inside PCSX2 thou). Newer revisions of the plugin have that support removed anyway.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Why can't people run 2 different emulators? It won't kill them and it takes up like 10MB of extra space.
CPU: i7 930 @ 2.8GHz(Everyday)/3.6GHz(Gaming)/4.0GHz(Encoding)
GPU: Geforce GTX 480 @ 850MHz/1001MHz
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E
RAM: 2x3 6GB OCZ @ 1527MHz 8-8-8-24
(09-27-2010, 08:51 AM)frosty5689 Wrote: Why can't people run 2 different emulators? It won't kill them and it takes up like 10MB of extra space.
It looked WAY better on Gdsx, that's all. If Gdsx had framelimit func., I would have already forgotten about running psx games on pcsx2.
GSdx never compared to what Pete's OpenGL plugins could do.
I have to agree, GSdx was better than the other plugins for me... just lacking many features like the simple framelimit Tongue2
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Nice overview of some of the available shaders there. Pick the one that fits your game best Tongue2

http://forums.ngemu.com/psx-plugin-quest...lugin.html

Since PSX games use all kinds of rendering styles, I prefer some flexibility with the tweaking.
I loved the shaders of petes plugin for epsxe. Would something like that ever be possible for pcsx2?
Because that would be awsome.
Specs:
CPU: C2D E8400 @ 3.6
GPU: GTX 560Ti 2Gb
MOB: Asus P5QL
RAM: Crucial 4Gb