Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PS2 most GPU and CPU demanding/intensive games
This thread purpose is to seek out PS2's most demanding or most intensive games WITHOUT the use of speedhacks. Some games are CPU demanding, while others are GPU intensive, and some are a mix of both CPU and GPU. But there can only be one game per ranking!

According to my tests/experiences, these are the games that have earned its ranking:

#1 most CPU demanding game: Shadow of the Colossus or Zone of the Enders
#1 most GPU intensive game: Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner
#1 most CPU and GPU demanding: Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner

Personally, it's a tough call to choose between Shadow of the Colossus and Zone of the Enders as the #1 most CPU demanding game because both games can be reach 60 fps at certain moments in the game. However, SoTC introduction cutscene is really a killer scene. On the other hand, ZOE has an overall feels of CPU demanding, and it doesn't fluctuate as vastly as SoTC. Therefore, it's a tough call, so I guess you could say it's a tie?

The #1 most graphically intensive, Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner easily takes the cake. Why you ask? Here's why--not even a GTX 580 is enough to tame this beast because through my gameplay experiences, I've seen it used up the GS up to 99% on my GTX 580!

And last but not least, a game that knows no bounds as its taxes both the CPU and GPU--the only title that is truly worthy to be called the king of kings, it has to be Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner. This game is really special; there's no other game that is like it according to my knowledge.

If you disagree with the above games that I listed, then tell me your opinions. Also, I'm seeking out another game that is GPU intensive beside the ZOE 2. If you know of such game, feel free to nominate it.

Here are my PC specs that I did the testing on those games:

CPU: Q9550 2.83GHz OC'ed @4GHz
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Venomous X w/ COUGAR CF-V12HP
RAM: 2x2GB DDR2 G.Skill F2-8800CL5D-4GBPI @1168MHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 580 815/1025MHz stock
PSU: Corsair 1000w
MOBO: Asus P5Q Deluxe rev.1.03

Sponsored links

XenoSaga 2 for most GFX card intensive
Xenosage GPU killer super nice CG scene

Amd Next gen will much faster than intel

Guinness World Record Achievement

In 2011, Advanced Micro Devices Inc. announced that it had achieved the Guinness World Record for the "Highest frequency of a computer processor." [50] The company ran an 8-core FX processor at 8.429-GHz. [50] The record was set on August 31, 2011 in Austin Texas. The previous record was 8.308-GHz which was an AMD core as well.
Shadow of the Colossus? Does anyone try Call of Duty 3 or Call of Duty 5? I can get around 30 FPS in SotC (the opening scene with the bird flying; VU hack level 2) but only get 10 ~ 15 FPS on these CoD games (just test the opening scene, of course they're unplayable). The GS thread always reaches 100% all the time.

Edit: I don't remember correctly and may be mistaken about the exact framerate. I don't remember what speedhacks I use for each game and I don't have time to test them all at the moment. But basically they are slow like tortoise.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 | nVidia GeForce GTX 750 | 4 GiB DDR3 @ 533 Mhz | MSI G41M-P28 | Cooler Master RS-390-PMSR-A3 | Xigmatek TYR SD962 | LG Flatron W1943SE | HP KB-0316 | MotoSpeed F60
and what about GT3 it killed my FPS

it is supper GPU intensive

with maximum Speedhacks and eye safe Frame Skipping i got 40 FPS in SW mode 50 !
@Squall
I'll test it out and compare it with ZOE 2.

@Livy
Which one is more graphically intensive, Call of Duty 3 or 5? By the way, try testing SoTC without speedhacks! No speedhacks allowed when making comparison.

@abdo123

I ran GT4 above 60 fps with no speedhacks. But it does occasionally dropdown to 4x fps, but that because I don't have enough CPU power.
For CPU it's SOTC hands down - a 4GHz i7 will never see 60fps without hacks! It's the only a PS2 can't even run at full speed lol

For GPU I'm not sure, it seems to be way more inconsistent than CPU. Some games like Fatal Frame 3 and Kunoichi have opening stages that will rape many GPUs, but after that you play a stage that practically any card runs fine.

Anyway I'm gonna say God Hand only because I haven't yet gotten to a part that my GPU can handle at 2x. The highest it gets is 38fps - every other game I've tested including the ones mentioned here will reach 60fps with ease.

Dirge of Cerberus seems to be another very demanding game for the GPU, or it could be like ZOE2 where it simply runs bad on AMD cards. I can't test it on my Nvidia laptop since I no longer have the game

BTW tuan if you're seeing 100% GS I believe that means you're CPU limited, so if you get a newer CPU you should see even higher FPS in ZOE2.
I get 18-20FPS on Primal's cutscenes, all EE slowdown and speedhacks don't do anything even MTVU, gameplay is ~30FPS. Shadow of the colossus can be helped with speedhacks so doesn't really count Tongue2

Kunoichi is GS slowdown not GPU slowdown, not sure about fatal frame ii cause I didn't play it much on PCSX2 but didn't seem that hard on the GPU.

Dirge of Cerberus and ZoE2 are not quite GPU heavy... some other slowdown but with 2-3x scaling the GPU doesn't get close to 100% load and there's no difference in performance compared to native res (4x and higher on the other hand Tongue2), ZoE2 even lower with paletized textures enabled.

Xenosaga III is quite demanding when using anima specials but those can be helped by reducing resolution...

Most GPU demanding is probably Hitman Contracts which can easily use over 1Gb Vram (probably over 2GB) in native res but that one is mostly a bug in the plugins I guess Tongue2
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
r & c is pretty demanding without speedhacks on.
CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.5ghz http://valid.canardpc.com/2607863
MOBO: Asrock Z75 Pro 3
RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaw X 1333mhz DDR3 ram.
GPU : Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 @ 1200/1450 clocks http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/kasmr/

[Image: 57b2818f7d1b5841.png]
(09-30-2011, 11:06 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: I get 18-20FPS on Primal's cutscenes, all EE slowdown and speedhacks don't do anything even MTVU, gameplay is ~30FPS. Shadow of the colossus can be helped with speedhacks so doesn't really count Tongue2

Kunoichi is GS slowdown not GPU slowdown, not sure about fatal frame ii cause I didn't play it much on PCSX2 but didn't seem that hard on the GPU.

Dirge of Cerberus and ZoE2 are not quite GPU heavy... some other slowdown but with 2-3x scaling the GPU doesn't get close to 100% load and there's no difference in performance compared to native res (4x and higher on the other hand Tongue2), ZoE2 even lower with paletized textures enabled.

Xenosaga III is quite demanding when using anima specials but those can be helped by reducing resolution...

Most GPU demanding is probably Hitman Contracts which can easily use over 1Gb Vram (probably over 2GB) in native res but that one is mostly a bug in the plugins I guess Tongue2

as far as i know VU cycling was based on this !

and even on PS2 VU cycling is aplied on it somehow Huh

so not enabling VU cycling and have that sweet big speed boost

so if you don't enable Vu cycling you are not emulating it right Laugh

and i "heard" somewhere that SotC runs full speed on 20 FPS on PS2

correct me if i am wrong Smile