PS2 native res?
What exactly is the native res being used when I check "native res" in GSDX? I am experimenting with what res to use that doesn't make some games act weird while still being above native.
-Core i7 920 @ 4.01GHz
-EX58-UD4P
-OCZ 6GB PC3-14400 Platinum
-Sapphire HD 4870 1GB @ 800/1000MHz
-PCP&C Silencer 750W
-RAID 0 2x Seagate 250GB 7200.10RPM
-Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Sponsored links

*Points to the top of the PCSX2 window when you run a game* That.
Nappa: Vegeta! What does the scouter say about his power level?
Vegeta: It's...one thousand and six.
Nappa: Wh-...really?
Vegeta: Yeah! Beat him up Nappa!
Nappa: Yay!
Yup, it's slightly different from game to game. Specifically it's in the top left part of the screen, and a 3 digit by 3 digit number. Ex: 620x496
www.twitch.tv/krazytrumpeter05
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.
Didn't think that was it as it randomly changes.
-Core i7 920 @ 4.01GHz
-EX58-UD4P
-OCZ 6GB PC3-14400 Platinum
-Sapphire HD 4870 1GB @ 800/1000MHz
-PCP&C Silencer 750W
-RAID 0 2x Seagate 250GB 7200.10RPM
-Windows 7 Ultimate x64
It's not really random (though some games use multiple resolutions for different parts of their game). It's how the game is programmed... Some games use less complex effects and models and have a higher overall resolution, other games use more complex and have an overall lower resolution.
[Image: 2748844.png]
In the GSDx plugins you have a option to scale the internal resolution, should this always be a multiple of 512x512 (Default setting) or a multiple of whatever the game your playing normally runs at?

I mean for if you want to upscale how should it be set? I know it should be set to Native for authentic experience if that is what you're after.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 | Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) | MSI 1070Ti | 16GB 3600MHz RAM
Scaling multiplies the native resolution of the game (which is not the same, different for each game) with the number you select. Custom resolution runs the game at the resolution you input, regardless of the game's native.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(08-12-2012, 04:37 PM)Franpa Wrote: In the GSDx plugins you have a option to scale the internal resolution, should this always be a multiple of 512x512 (Default setting) or a multiple of whatever the game your playing normally runs at?

I mean for if you want to upscale how should it be set? I know it should be set to Native for authentic experience if that is what you're after.

Generally games play nicer when scaled to a multiple of their native resolution, and that is why the options are there.

There is no "always"; your mileage may vary with scaling the game up to any higher resolutions. Some games play nicely, others don't. Some require HW hacks to get them to play nicely.

As far as "authentic experience" I don't think many PCSX2 users have their computers hooked up to CRT television sets, as that would be the only way to get a really "authentic experience", without all the artifacts/scaling/side effects of using a HD TV/monitor.

The best way I've found to tackle this issue with a 1080p HD monitor is to simply multiply the native resolution of the game until it is as close to 1920x1080 as possible. For instance, many games from PS2 have a 640x448 resolution. If I multiply this by 3, I get 1920x1344. That's the closest to 1920x1080 I can get by using multipliers, so I will try that first, and then tweak further if I think it can be better (and it usually can).

The key issue here is that your graphics hardware is going to scale this to whatever screen resolution you are using in the end, so you will end up making noticeable artifacts if you force an internal resolution that is too far off the mark (not always, and again HW hacks can help with this)

This is the way I treat it, anyway =)
PS StartMy PS2 Emulation Station: AMD Phenom 2 B55 x4 @3.6 Ghz|Nvidia Geforce GTX 480|4GB G-skill DDR3-1600 Ram|ASUS M5A99X-Evo Motherboard|BenQ XL2420T 120hz Monitor|Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
PS StartControls: PS3 Controllers Via Bluetooth w/MotioninJoy! | Hori Real Arcade Pro VX-SA Arcade Stick
(10-02-2009, 05:45 AM)Koji Wrote: It's not really random (though some games use multiple resolutions for different parts of their game). It's how the game is programmed... Some games use less complex effects and models and have a higher overall resolution, other games use more complex and have an overall lower resolution.

I know the games are generally rendered at about 480p but what's the lowest and highest you can recall the PS2 going?
I want to put the native multiplier (Cus custom is glitchy and causes graphical errors in my experience) at around 1080p regardless of the game I'm playing and I don't mind if it goes above 1080p.

Specs: 
i5 4600 @ 3.20GHz
GeForce GTX 750Ti
2x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
Corsair 430W PSU (Bronze 80+)
Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A

I can handle the performance hit anyway.
The most recent post in this thread is more than 8 months old. Please create a new thread and refrain from posting in threads older than 8 months in the future. Please also review the forum rules. Thank you.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]