PS3 software emulation of PS2 vs PCSX2
Hint:
If your awesome emu plays a video file in a Visual Basic gui, it's not real Wink

Sponsored links

LAWL PS2 emulation is nothing new.
The fakers are obviously Microsoft fanboys who want make sony look bad.

Main Rig: i7-3770k @4.5ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia GTX 980 TI | Win 10 X64
Laptop: MSI GT62VR | i7-6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1060 | Win 10 X64

hi there,

for the devs in here, a few information about what each single spu does:
http://ps3devwiki.com/index.php?title=Em...ator_Usage

and might be help improving some code of the psx2 handling of EE/GS + proper SPU2 etc.

quote from cobra-usb website:
*Added an option for those users without a PS2 backwards compatible PS3 (including Slims) to test PS2 original games and ISO backups using the PS2 software only emulator which is by default included with all PS3's. Please note however that as the software only emulator is slow and very buggy, this feature is disabled by default and is only intended as a gimmick
I wonder how many man hours it takes to write a PS2 emu mostly in Cell assembly.
looking at that chart, the only thing we'd possibly benifit from is putting the SPU2 plugin on a different thread as it seems to load a fair bit, however in our case, i dont know what the figures are, it looks very much like everything has been pointlessly spread out on the PS3, probably because they can.

All that threading would be a nightmare.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Well, from what I hear the PS3 CPU core is just really slow.
You'll want to keep the simplest stuff threaded away from it to conserve every cycle you have.

For PCSX2 it would be nice if we could do low overhead threading of the whole IOP.
With it we'd move the SPU2 and other minor loads to a different core.
I think our brainy guys concluded that it would be really hard to pull off though Tongue2
but it isn't impossible!

all you need is cheerleaders!
that charts look like a misconcept.

what's the IOP emu doing on a SPE? trashing the bus from the drive to that! (put that on PPU and stream). and why not hotplug the PS3's sound processor todo something like SPU2? also the PS3 should have an own IPU to decode MP2 macro streams (sure - a SPE may be faster to transfer to the RSX).

the VU emu is valid. the GFIF emu is valid. the DMA isn't really (they do resort entries there or what?).
does IOP and SPU2 have that heavy load that it could boost the emulation much when threading them?

Well I'm happy how it is with MTVU now.
Almost all my games are running at fullspeed on my i5 Smile

Main Rig: i7-3770k @4.5ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia GTX 980 TI | Win 10 X64
Laptop: MSI GT62VR | i7-6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1060 | Win 10 X64

I doubt the IOP would have a huge impact, turning the IOP to interpreter mode doesnt seem to do a lot in terms of speed. Im not sure if this is because of the IOP Rec design or just because it isnt very busy.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]