PSOne Widescreen Patches
Ups, sorry a mistake in double post.

Sponsored links

(08-03-2015, 11:51 PM)VIRGIN KLM Wrote: There is a kind of generic way to do it as I described in a previous post but let me make it as easy as possible:
1. Open epsxe (yes it have to be epsxe and not any other emulator) and attach Cheat Engine (32bit) to it.
2. Set a range of search of 00A579A0 to 00CFFFFF
3. Change the Value Type to 2 bytes
4. Check the hex option next to the Value space and put the value "1000"
5. While on a 3D area do a couple of consecutive searches, then move your camera and your character a bit and press a couple of times again the next search button.
6. You will end up with a number of results that you need to check in the same way like PS2 widescreen hack searching method. Make a save state and start modifying values to "0C00". Once you notice something like the size or the zoom gets modified try to isolate the address responsible. Have in mind that PS1 games and emulators are more prone to crashes that PS2, you might have to reload the savestate and re-attach your Cheay Engine session to epsxe keeping the current searches. Also if you come acress a height modifier or a zoom modifier but not a width modifier you can hit Ctrl+B and search with the debugger nearby addresses (+-200) manually for a possible height modifier, most of the times they are near to eachother.

It's a super nooby tutorial but for now that's the best we can do, atleast this is the best I can offer.
I bet there are hundreds of games that work with that method that wait to be exploited, it's just that the ones I have tried, (including most if not all of the requests here) just didn't work. Also they work perfectly on a real PS1, even Eyefinity ones. I'm stating that because PS1 doesn't support hardware culling which should in theory affect performance when more stuff being squeezed on screen (compared to PS2 that it simply doesn't care) but luckily due to a complex limitation of the way that stuff get rendered on PS1 and how sampling-buffering etc are done it counters as a sideffect the extra weight that would be put to the hardware.
Now the good questing is, how are we supposed to do render fixes on the games that need it? (i.e. Crash series)

Wow! I really love you all, guys. This post has been nearly innactive for almost half year and in just a month, things have changed a lot.

@VIRGIN KLM I'm very grateful, for this little tutorial. As soon as I have more time, I'll try with all my ps1 collection, and of course, will post every succesful progress.
Well, after all this time i tried to make patches following the tutorial made by Virgin KLM (thank you very much to him), and worked for some few games
but not for the most which i tried, for some i encountered zooms.
I made the patches for the Tenchu series, and for some PAL versions of the NTSC-U ones posted in the thread.

Also i made an archive for have all the patches together, i know that we don't have an standard and the best efficient method or way for
make all the widescreen patches, and the number of patches are low, but i think is good to have all the patches availables together in
a tidy archive.
In each file there is information about the author of the codes, the region and ID code of the game, and comments if the game needed them.

I included a readme file and a list of the few PSX games which have a widescreen option, mentioning the ones which are not well made
and if they have a patch. I can add in the archive any new patch.

This is the tutorial made by Virgin KLM using the Cheat Engine program with the ePSXe emulator:

Quote:"There is a kind of generic way to do it as i described in a previous post but let me make it as easy as possible:
1. Open epsxe 1.9.0 (yes it have to be epsxe and not any other emulator) and attach Cheat Engine (32bit) to it.
2. Set a range of search of 00A579A0 to 00CFFFFF
3. Change the Value Type to 2 bytes
4. Check the hex option next to the Value space and put the value "1000"
5. While on a 3D area do a couple of consecutive searches, then move your camera and your character a bit and press a couple of times again the next search button.
6. You will end up with a number of results that you need to check in the same way like PS2 widescreen hack searching method. Make a save state and start modifying values to "0C00". Once you notice something like the size or the zoom gets modified try to isolate the address responsible. Have in mind that PS1 games and emulators are more prone to crashes that PS2, you might have to reload the savestate and re-attach your Cheat Engine session to epsxe keeping the current searches. Also if you come across a height modifier or a zoom modifier but not a width modifier you can hit Ctrl+B and search with the debugger nearby addresses (+-200) manually for a possible height modifier, most of the times they are near to each other.
7. Because 00A579A0 represents address 80000000 on PS1's memory, you need to subtract 00A579A0 from the resulting address and add the result to 80000000.

There are others search and replace values, not only the 1000 - 0C00 one, you can try this ones:

Initial Value (4:3) -> Modified Value (16:9)       Initial Value (4:3) -> Modified Value (Eyefinity)

1000 -> 0C00                                                          1000 -> 0400         
1004 -> 0C03                                                          1004 -> 0401
1200 -> 0D80                                                          
1999 -> 1333                                                          1999 -> 0666
199A -> 1334                                                          199A -> 0667
12AA -> 0E00                                                          12AA -> 0800
111A -> 0CD3                                                          111A -> 0446
1400 -> 0F00                                                          1400 -> 0800
1164 -> 0D0B                                                          1164 -> 0459
0B98 -> 08B2                                                          0B98 -> 02E6

It's a super nooby tutorial but for now that's the best we can do, atleast this is the best i can offer.
I bet there are hundreds of games that work with that method that wait to be exploited, it's just that the ones i have tried, (including most if not all of the requests here) just didn't work. Also they work perfectly on a real PS1, even Eyefinity ones. I'm stating that because PS1 doesn't support hardware culling which should in theory affect performance when more stuff being squeezed on screen (compared to PS2 that it simply doesn't care) but luckily due to a complex limitation of the way that stuff get rendered on PS1 and how sampling-buffering etc are done it counters as a sideffect the extra weight that would be put to the hardware.
Now the good questing is, how are we supposed to do render fixes on the games that need it? (i.e. Crash series)"

And this are the patches which i made following the tutorial of Virgin KLM:

Tenchu: Stealth Assassins (PAL & NTSC-U)               Tenchu 2: Birth of the Stealth Assassins (PAL-Spain & NTSC-U) 

Tenchu: Shinobi Gaisen (NTSC-J)                             Tenchu: Shinobi Hyakusen (NTSC-J)

Ape Escape (PAL-Spain)                                         Driver (PAL-Spain)

Driver 2 (PAL-Spain)                                               Ms. Pac-Man: Maze Madness (PAL)

Pac-Man World (PAL-Spain)                                     Ridge Racer Type 4 (PAL)
                                                                         Like the NTSC-U version the code only works fine for the cars, the background is stretched.

Best regards.

Attached Files
.rar   PSOne Widescreen Archive.rar (Size: 436,12 KB / Downloads: 16.733)
Nice work bro. +1
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Xenogears (NTSC-U) anyone?

Yes, it can be hacked in PCSXR, but the world map has no render fix and the portraits and textboxes and some UI is stretched.
@El_Patas Great work! Can you make a list of the games you found a zoom value?

@rovazcas It may look from time to time like I procrastinate but I'm constantly thinking and trying stuff.

@Devina Now that's a real challenge.
wow that is in HD
Thank you people. Smile

(08-28-2015, 08:19 PM)VIRGIN KLM Wrote: @El_Patas Great work! Can you make a list of the games you found a zoom value?

Ouch, i don't remember now the various which i encountered, i remember this 3 with the values:

- Ballerburg (PAL) Zoom 00B1772E 0C00

- Nightmare Creatures (NTSC-U) Zoom 00AE184E 0C00

- Pitfall 3D: Beyond the Jungle (NTSC-U)
00ACCBEC 0C00 moves the camera
00ACD27A 0C00 moves some elements
00B0E7B4 0C00 this ones seems good but the value of 1000 do not changes in the program.

From now if i encounter one zoom in a game i post it also in the thread.

Best regards.
Patches which i made:

Dead or Alive (PAL & NTSC-U)                                                 Dune (PAL-Spain)
                                                                                         Causes glitches and slowdown in all the FMV videos

Einhänder (NTSC-U & NTSC-J)                                                 Porsche Challenge (PAL & NTSC-U)
You can't move the ship beyond the 4:3 mark. Needs render fix.

Rival Schools (PAL & NTSC-U)                                                  R-Type Delta (PAL & NTSC-U & NTSC-J)
Works only in characters and floor in both discs.                          You can't move the ship beyond the 4:3 mark. Needs render fix.

Syphon Filter (PAL-Spain)                                                       Syphon Filter 2 (PAL-Spain)

Syphon Filter 3 (PAL-Spain)

I encountered values of zooms or Y-FOV for some games, if somebody can help to find the right
widescreen codes for this games or knows another method for make the widescreen patches
it would be very great and helpful:

Gran Turismo (PAL) - 00AEC22C 1666 Zoom
Wipeout 2097 (PAL) - 00AEA54A 0C00 Zoom
Silent Bomber (PAL-Spain SLES-02992)  - 00B0ADA8 1666 Zoom
Team Buddies (NTSC-U) - 00A6C83E 0C00 Zoom
NBA Shoot Out '97 (NTSC-U) - 00B13626 0C00 Zoom away or 00B2B314 0C00 Zoom near
Quake II (PAL) - 00AFCDD2 0C00 Y-FOV
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (PAL-Spain SLES-02026) - 00B21C00 0C00 Zoom
Disney's Tarzan (PAL-Spain) - 00AD4466 0C00 Good, but when you move the character the screen changes to stretched.
Strider 2 (NTSC-U) - 00B24D88 1400 Zoom

Best regards.
Good work El_Patas! Great work for those people that said that such thing is not possible on PS1...
Also, I'm gonna give a look at the games you found a zoom value.