Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PSP noob questions
Hi i want to buy a psp and its already chipped with custom firmware 4.01 m33 will i be able to play isos and nes/snes/ps1 games with that? i also heard you gotta downgrade it to 1.5? but is that done during the time the custom firmware is installed on the psp or?

Sponsored links

If it already comes with custom firmware, you don't need to downgrade. Just be aware that if your battery dies and doesn't hold a charge, make sure you get the Service tool thing that changes a battery to service mode (From codejunkies.com store) because when you say "chipped" you actually mean the battery is modded for service mode.

The custom firmware is stored in the flash memory of the PSP, though to boot it with all functions, the memory card has to have special files.

By the time you get it, you'll need to upgrade your M33 to the latest, MANUALLY, because the old M33s before 5.0 or so have a network issue.
ReactOS, check it out.
well i bought this one http://www.game.co.uk/PSP/Hardware/Conso...ded=334014 hopefully i can get that flashed or chipped by going to some store it costs about 10 dollars to do it down town but the thing im worried about now is since its preowned i hope it the serial isint already used on the sony store that i didint think of after i bought it
You also can't use it to do remote play on a PS3. Sony blocked M33 from remote play with the 2.8 firmware on the PS3. (But not GEN- or other custom firmwares it seems.)
ReactOS, check it out.
if it's a FAT psp, it's VERY easy to downgrade, if it's a slim, best to check which one you have first (if it's a 3k, you're 95% sol) (i have a slim with a ta-088v3 motherboard, and HEN is the only way I can use my homebrew/backups)

if you need help on this is is rather simple and free (just keep it UNDER 5.03 untill we're sure which it is)
pretty sure its psp fat but to put custom firmware on it i need another psp batteri and another memory stick that is compatible with what you need to get the custom firmware to work? is that all you need or is there anything more?
(07-31-2009, 04:05 PM)Raizen Wrote: pretty sure its psp fat but to put custom firmware on it i need another psp batteri and another memory stick that is compatible with what you need to get the custom firmware to work? is that all you need or is there anything more?

If it's a fat psp, it's pretty easy. To load custom firmware (abbreviated CFW, needed to play homebrew) you need to do one of two things:

1. Find a software downgrader and drop down to official firmware version 1.5, which allows homebrew execution natively. From here you can load CFW normally, but there may not be a software downgrader for the newer firmware versions.

2. Use the hardware downgrade method. This involves using a special battery that has been modified internally, and a memory stick loaded with the appropriate software to overwrite the stock firmware with CFW. Doing the modification yourself on a spare battery is possible, but not recommended.
Additional notes: this modification can also be done through homebrew code on the psp, leading to an interesting chicken-and-egg problem. If you don't have access to another psp with CFW, cutting open the battery and doing it the hard way is the only way to get it done. Batteries modded this way can NOT be used as normal batteries, and essentially become useless unless you're loading CFW.

If you're near a major city in the US, you can look on Craigslist and similar services to find people willing to flash CFW to your psp for a nominal fee.
When I bought my psp a few years back, I found someone that lived in the same dorm as I did through Craigslist. $10 was well worth not having to cut open a battery Tongue
"This thread should be closed immediately, it causes parallel imagination and multiprocess hallucination" --ardhi
getting the hang of it but would this memory stick work for it? http://www.webhallen.com/prod.php?id=80067 ? also what kind of batteries can i use for the 1000 version that would last longer then original? also would this batteri work for it aswell? http://www.mytrendyphone.se/shop/sony-ps...6994p.html
The memory stick is fine. For psp batteries however, I really recommend you go with the originals from sony.
Afaik there isn't a single better working battery available, no matter how many mA they claim to have Sad
i read from a few sites that the battery i posted it most of the time a scam and only works for 4 hours so that kinda put me off so theres none that will last longer? ah that sucks lol