Pcsx2 graphics
How exactly do the pcsx2 graphics work and why is it that pcsx2 has better graphics compared to ps2

Sponsored links

(11-12-2013, 03:51 AM)Isakilla Wrote: How exactly do the pcsx2 graphics work and why is it that pcsx2 has better graphics compared to ps2

The emulator core emulates the Graphics synthesizer and vector units. This raw data is sent to a plugin like GSDX, which does the rendering.

PCSX2 has better graphics because GSDX can render the polygons at higher resolutions than the PS2 can. It also applies texture filtering to the textures. This can happen because a current PC GPU is usually many orders of magnitude more powerful than the PS2.

It's the same amount of polygons and same textures. Really the textures aren't improved all that much. But the polygons in higher resolution have less jagged edges and are smoother etc. Once the resolution gets higher than your monitor's, it's basically really, really, really high powered super sample antialiasing.

Also in a few cases some games have 60fps hacks. This makes the game run at more frames per second than it did on the PS2. This is called temporal resolution, and it means that the whole thing looks smoother.

Edit: And also we have a lot of widescreen hacks. These are patches that enable the emulator to display the geometry that is outside the 4:3 window.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(11-12-2013, 03:55 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: It's the same amount of polygons and same textures. Really the textures aren't improved all that much.

In hindsight unfiltered textures generally look worse on an emulator than on the real thing at high resolutions, very blocky, partly because emulators are typically played on monitors. So thank god for filtering ^^.

Actually I'm wondering if the devs have considered adding custom shader support to GSDX, I know Hyllian's xBR shaders look amazing(here) and I know xBRZ (a fork of xBR by ZenJu) is used in PPSSPP for improving textures in 3d games, again, with pretty results, imho.
(11-12-2013, 03:08 PM)Nyreen Wrote: Actually I'm wondering if the devs have considered adding custom shader support to GSDX

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Custom-Shaders-for-GSdx
Intel Core i7-8700k @5ghz
G.Skill 16GB DDR4 @3600mhz
GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Windows 10 x64
(11-12-2013, 03:08 PM)Nyreen Wrote: In hindsight unfiltered textures generally look worse on an emulator than on the real thing at high resolutions, very blocky, partly because emulators are typically played on monitors. So thank god for filtering ^^.

Actually I'm wondering if the devs have considered adding custom shader support to GSDX, I know Hyllian's xBR shaders look amazing(here) and I know xBRZ (a fork of xBR by ZenJu) is used in PPSSPP for improving textures in 3d games, again, with pretty results, imho.

I posted about that here:

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-The-funny...t-textures

Self quote:

Blyss Sarania Wrote:On a more doable note: Is there some reason(I asked this before and got no answer!) That we DON'T have a pixel art scaling algorithm for textures. You may or may not like it, but some do. After seeing xbrz scaling on the psp textures look like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOieomzloOQ

I really would like it. I can see a few reasons you guys might not have done it:

1. Don't want to/Don't like the results
2. Can't(I doubt that!)
3. Haven't got around to it

So yeah, if I was good in C I would jump right in. But I write in BASIC languages as I've said. I do very well in those, but I'm not sure how hard it would be to learn C. Well I can write really simple stuff in C, I do have a degree in CIS and took some electives in programming(my core degree is in hardware).
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(11-12-2013, 05:06 PM)hellbringer616 Wrote: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Custom-Shaders-for-GSdx

I should have lurked around more, thanks!
I never knew that Pcsx2 did texture filtering, is it as easily flexible as the Gamecube so that Anisotropic filtering etc can be added later?
<REDACTED>
The texture filtering in PCSX2 is a manual implementation of Bilinear filtering, there's no graphics card driver filtering hook in there. Ansiotropic filtering is a lot harder to implement.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]