Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pcsx2 on an older computer
Hello, gurus. I'm trying to see if I can improve my Pcsx2 (v0.9.6) framerate and sound synchronization on an older computer. I've tried playing Kingdom Hearts 2 and Persona 3 so far. My CPU is a AMD64 3000+ @ 1.85GHz (SSE2, I believe), and I'm sporting an old ATI Radeon 9600 / X1050 Series video card... so I'll need all the help I can get.

I tried searching the forums, but I wasn't able to find much about optimizing my settings. After killing all other non-essential Windows XP processes and letting Pcsx2 spike my CPU to 100%, game play is approaching acceptable at times. I've got the ISOs on my hard drive, too. Here's what I'm currently doing to get the games to run at all:

- On the GSdx9 graphics configuration, I'm rendering windowed in hardware (Direct3D 9), I unchecked "wait vsync", and doing blend tff interlacing... and I have Direct 3D internal resolution set to 640x512
- On the SPU2-X sound configuration... I'm disabling effects processing, time-stretching, and audio expansion

I'm a total noob at optimizing these settings, so this was basically the best I was able to do without crashing the program or making games not run at all. Can anyone advise me on more optimal settings for things like the Direct 3D internal resolution, the aspect ratio, or what else to disable/configure? Are these even the best options for rendering fast?

I'm also curious as to how much I could improve gameplay by purchasing a new PCI video card. If I pick up a very high end card, will it greatly improve my frame rate? Also, I'd prefer not to hear "dude, why are you even trying to run a PS2 emulator on such old hardware?" because I'm aware that this rig isn't exactly optimal for gaming.

One more question... what kind of multithreading support does Pcsx2 have? The forum searching I did leads me to believe that it exists at least in a dual core capacity, but I know nothing more than that. This will apply to me on different hardware that I may be purchasing in the future. Please go easy on me... all non-flaming help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored links

gsdx internal res to native will help a bit.

Adding a better GPU won't help, as you'll be bottlenecked by your CPU.
add a few speedhacks 1 by 1.
apart those little tweaks, Not much you can do with that hardware, I'm afraid.
CPU : I7 2600K Oc'ed @ 4.2Ghz
Mobo : Intel P67 southbridge
GPU : NVIDIA Geforce GTX 750 Ti
RAM : 6 Go
(04-07-2010, 09:06 PM)jesalvein Wrote: gsdx internal res to native will help a bit.

Adding a better GPU won't help, as you'll be bottlenecked by your CPU.
add a few speedhacks 1 by 1.
apart those little tweaks, Not much you can do with that hardware, I'm afraid.
Thank you so much! I'm already seeing some framerate improvement, but it'll take a bit more to get it close to smooth. By speedhacks, did you mean installing the latest beta plugins? It took me a while to get 'em working, but they do now. Laugh
No, by Speedhacks he meant for u to get the latest Beta r1888 of pcsx2 --> Go to options --> and tick some of the Speedhacks options to see if the game improves. Be aware that Speedhacks may break games and could cause Graphical issues and instability problems in some occasions so use it at your own risk.
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.6Ghz
6GB DDR3 RAM
Nvidia 275 GTX Co-Op
HDD 2x750GB Raid 0
Mobo - Asus P6T
OCZ Game XStream 700W
Window 7 Ultimate
(04-07-2010, 10:49 PM)Master_DX Wrote: No, by Speedhacks he meant for u to get the latest Beta r1888 of pcsx2 --> Go to options --> and tick some of the Speedhacks options to see if the game improves. Be aware that Speedhacks may break games and could cause Graphical issues and instability problems in some occasions so use it at your own risk.

Thank you as well. You two really know your stuff here. Smile As my alternative to breaking the games with speedhacks is having them not be at all fun to play (I dislike waiting for games to let me play, and having to listen to choppy audio while I do), I can definitely live with some bugs.
Just play around with the Speedhacks options, if you noticed choppy audio or graphical problems, then uncheck one by one to see which one is causing it. Try to find a balance, just don't go crazy with the Speedhacks, they are just alternatives until people get a better system.

Speedhacks will improve or make a game worse, it all depends on the game you are trying to run, keep that in mind. Once you get a Phenom II and overclock it a bit, you won't need to rely on such stuffs to play the games smoothly.
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.6Ghz
6GB DDR3 RAM
Nvidia 275 GTX Co-Op
HDD 2x750GB Raid 0
Mobo - Asus P6T
OCZ Game XStream 700W
Window 7 Ultimate