Pcsx2 suddenly runs slow
Hello everyone,

Merry Christmas to all!

I have a Samsung i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), 6 GB of RAM and a Nvidia Geforce GT 520MX Graphic Card (I believe it's equivalent to 1GB).

The problem is that PCSX2 used to run fine on it and I used to play games like God of War 1 and Final Fantasy 12 but I cannot do that lately as PCSX2 runs slow and all laggy. I know that my laptop config is not as powerful as the ones released nowadays but I 'm positively sure that it "should" be able to handle the emulator on normal settings.

I formatted my laptop thinking that would solve the problem but it sadly didn't.

All my drivers are up-to-date. I'm using the 1.2.1 version of PCSX2. I tried all of the configs and tweaks detailed in numerous Youtube videos and none of them works.

I would love to hear about your suggestions and how I can get it to run normally again. What are the suitable PCSX2 settings that I should use to enable my laptop to run the emulator?

PS: I also have problems with another emulator (Desmume for the NDS) and it used to run fine on my laptop before.

Thank you in advance

Sponsored links

Set your winfows power plan to performance mode
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(12-27-2015, 01:25 PM)jesalvein Wrote: Set your winfows power plan to performance mode

Thank you for your reply. It is already set at "high performance". Another detail that might help you figure out the problem is that my laptop also started struggling with Youtube videos being viewed on HD (720p videos lag a little bit and it is noticeable). Even the snow effect here on the website slows down and lags a little. I hope this helps.

Thank you very much
Try monitoring your processor's clock speed , temps using something like Coretemp and provide the test results when using PCSX2 and when it's left idle.
I sometimes get low speed because of the Intel Speed Step or/and VSync even tho nothing is saying that I get low speed because of weak hardware(the EE\VU\CPU\GPU usage are low but I still get low speed on certain places on some game because of those options)
Plugging the cable is probably also needed.
As ssakash already said you need to check that you cpu is not downclocked (due to power saving, heat or whatever)
(12-27-2015, 01:37 PM)Truegamer1516 Wrote: Thank you for your reply. It is already set at "high performance". Another detail that might help you figure out the problem is that my laptop also started struggling with Youtube videos being viewed on HD (720p videos lag a little bit and it is noticeable). Even the snow effect here on the website slows down and lags a little. I hope this helps.

Thank you very much

Definitely CPU related. Sounds like overheating issue maybe and that the CPU is indeed downclocking itself to make it cooler.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)
(12-27-2015, 01:45 PM)ssakash Wrote: Try monitoring your processor's clock speed , temps using something like Coretemp and provide the test results when using PCSX2 and when it's left idle.

Thank you all for your replies. I guess it might be related to "overheating". I'm not sure. These are the results I got using Core Temp (pictures attached) both when PCX2 is idle (picture 1) and when it is working (picture 2) or when a game is running (Rogue Galaxy). Are those results normal or not?

Another thing that might be worth mentioning is that my laptop (fan on the left side) became louder lately.

Thank you very much.

Yeh you see the Max 94C? that means your CPU is overheating and throttling. Make sure you play on a hard surface where your PC can get adequately cooled, might also be worth cleaning out the fan/heatsink as it could be dusty
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Yes look at picture 2...the cpu is overheating and it downclocking itself to lower the temp
85C is not a joke