Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
People with Q6600s
Has anyone had any luck overclock their Q6600 past 3.2 ghz? I always seem to run into stability issues, but I've heard it's possible to go at least as high as 3.6. I have a good after market CPU cooler, so heat wouldn't be much of an issue. My board is an XFX 680i chipset and my power supply is pretty top notch.
http://www.twitch.tv/krazytrumpeter05
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.

Sponsored links

Maybe you are doing something wrong during overclock. Sometimes the Ram module is the culprit.
(03-27-2009, 05:54 PM)redlof Wrote: Maybe you are doing something wrong during overclock. Sometimes the Ram module is the culprit.

K, so I should try overclocking the RAM a little, as well? I'm just a little mystified as to why I have this barrier at 3.2 =/
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.
i have the same problem but an entirely different mobo.

No matter what ram settings i try, i cant overclock past 3.2ghz with the same cpu
Ok, each chip is different and as such these general assumptions of 3.6ghz or whatever are not very sound.
Especially if someone with not much overclocking experience tries this.

You guys better read up on the various intel overclocking guides, and follow them.
(Hint: My guess is you reached the maximum clock at default voltage, and need a voltage bump. Read up on that first!)
Yeah, as rama said, have you been upping the voltage? Because you can only go so far on stock voltage. You should run some computer-stressing program between each increase you do, and run it for about 10 minutes. When you BSOD during overclocking, it's usually 1 of 2 problems, caused by different BSOD messages:

Clock Interrupt not received from Secondary Processor - Not enough VCore!
General hardware failure - Not enough VTT voltage!

Those 2 are really the only ones you'll encounter as a result of OC'ing.
.:Intel Core i7 Extreme 965 OC'ed @ 4Ghz - EVGA X58 SLI - Corsair 6GB @ 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24 - 2xEVGA GTX 285 1GB OC'ed @ 680/1548/1270Mhz in SLI - Dell UltraSharp 24" - Corsair HX1000W PSU - Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 - Antec 900
.OhmyCZ Vertex 250GB SSD 200/160MB/s read/write - Samsung F1 1TB
.:Windows 7 x64
(03-28-2009, 04:17 PM)Cody900 Wrote: Yeah, as rama said, have you been upping the voltage? Because you can only go so far on stock voltage. You should run some computer-stressing program between each increase you do, and run it for about 10 minutes. When you BSOD during overclocking, it's usually 1 of 2 problems, caused by different BSOD messages:

Clock Interrupt not received from Secondary Processor - Not enough VCore!
General hardware failure - Not enough VTT voltage!

Those 2 are really the only ones you'll encounter as a result of OC'ing.

Ok, so it is most likely a voltage issue, then? I had done copious amounts of research on my processor and thought I was giving it enough voltage headroom, but I can toy around with some voltages and see if I can get it a bit higher. Not worried about heat as I already have a very good after market cooler.

Also, does anyone know if there were multiple versions of the Q6600? I have one of the first chips they put out, maybe that could be part of the issue.
If you have a G0 stepping Q6600, those seem to overclock to about the 3.2-3.4Ghz I believe.

The earlier versions, the B3s, can take a bit more beating and those ones were quite common to hit the 3.6Ghz.

It also really depends on your motherboard. Some just don't play nice with quads.
(03-29-2009, 12:28 PM)skoreanime Wrote: If you have a G0 stepping Q6600, those seem to overclock to about the 3.2-3.4Ghz I believe.

The earlier versions, the B3s, can take a bit more beating and those ones were quite common to hit the 3.6Ghz.

It also really depends on your motherboard. Some just don't play nice with quads.

Well, like I said, I have an XFX nvidia 680i chipset mobo. I do remember that the Q6600 I bought was labeled as an engineering sample or some such. How much difference would that extra 400MHZ REALLY make, though?
An engineering sample? Where did you get that? Tongue2
And no, don't expect it to clock any higher than what you got now. These are old and not built as well, so they don't reach high clocks.

400Mhz is a difference you would notice, but it wouldn't make an unplayable game playable.
Think about from 50 to 55fps.