Per-game profile selector for pcsx2
Hi to all! I don't know if this is the right place but I was thinking about the creation of a little software to manage the inis folder of pcsx2. In this way you can select a game in a gui and the correspondant inis (located in a desired folder) will be loaded. Are you interested in this? If someone is interested I am more disposed to start coding! I saw other similar softwares but I would give my contribute as well. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored links

there is do search and you will find the info you looking for
The answer is that we prefer to not support directly per-game-config in PCSX2. But Launchers do exist which allow, among other things, config per game.
PCSX2Bonus and PS2Lunch will do what you want, but in my opinion neither of them work well. I want this feature as well, but I guess we won't get it.

(09-13-2016, 09:56 PM)avih Wrote: The answer is that we prefer to not support directly per-game-config in PCSX2. But Launchers do exist which allow, among other things, config per game.

Can you say why? What's wrong with having native support for configs? That would make moving from game to game SO much easier.
Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3 Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 @1600mhz
Gigabyte H97-D3H | addlink S70 1TB M.2 SSD Samsung EVO 840 250GB SSD | WD Blue 1TB
I wonder why too.
PCSX2 already have something like that but why not at least simplify it.

1.While starting a game check the inis folder for a folder containing the game crc or id
2.If such folder exist,load the settings from there

This is MUCH easier approach rather that creating a shortcut for each of your games...what if you have a lot of games which requires different settings and you don't want to use extra application.You'll endup with tons of shortcuts

Dolpphin\PPSSPP are using similar method.
Because with the resources we have we prefer to focus on the emulation itself, and because such functionality can and is achieved by external tools. The one place where PCSX2 does have a per game "thing" is the memory card folders, where most pcsx2 devs were against adding it.
(09-14-2016, 05:48 PM)avih Wrote: Because with the resources we have we prefer to focus on the emulation itself, and because such functionality can and is achieved by external tools. The one place where PCSX2 does have a per game "thing" is the memory card folders, where most pcsx2 devs were against adding it.

Those folders are one of the best features of PCSX2. Never have to worry about memory cards again, and you access them directly! It's awesome. Those 3rd-party tools are not specifically built as game config savers and they aren't very good anyway. It's just something I feel a lot of people want, so why not do it? These threads pop up all the time.
Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3 Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 @1600mhz
Gigabyte H97-D3H | addlink S70 1TB M.2 SSD Samsung EVO 840 250GB SSD | WD Blue 1TB
(09-14-2016, 07:24 PM)sevin Wrote: Those folders are one of the best features of PCSX2. Never have to worry about memory cards again, and you access them directly! It's awesome. Those 3rd-party tools are not specifically built as game config savers and they aren't very good anyway. It's just something I feel a lot of people want, so why not do it? These threads pop up all the time.

A matter of dev time/emulation quality. Just as Avih explained above.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(09-14-2016, 07:24 PM)sevin Wrote: Those folders are one of the best features of PCSX2. Never have to worry about memory cards again, and you access them directly! It's awesome. Those 3rd-party tools are not specifically built as game config savers and they aren't very good anyway. It's just something I feel a lot of people want, so why not do it? These threads pop up all the time.

You're welcome to send a clean pull request.

Just make sure to discuss the approach before you start writing tons of code to make sure it's aligned with the devs' preferred approach.

But, if you already want to write such code, I'd still suggest to do that as an external project which would be easier to maintain and also will not clutter PCSX2's code or make it less portable or maintainable. There's really nothing "inside" PCSX2 which makes it easier to implement as part of PCSX2 instead of via an external tool.
(09-14-2016, 07:31 PM)avih Wrote: You're welcome to send a clean pull request.

Just make sure to discuss the approach before you start writing tons of code to make sure it's aligned with the devs' preferred approach.

But, if you already want to write such code, I'd still suggest to do that as an external project which would be easier to maintain and also will not clutter PCSX2's code or make it less portable or maintainable. There's really nothing "inside" PCSX2 which makes it easier to implement as part of PCSX2 instead of via an external tool.

I'm not saying it won't take time or resources. But if these threads pop up so much, why not allocate some people to developing it? It's obvious people want this built into PCSX2. How will working on this "clutter" PCSX2's code? Did the memcards thing clutter it up? The folder memcards was a big quality of life improvement, game-specific configs will be a quality of life improvement too.