Performance Boost Pointers?
I've decided to try to get into PS2 emulation, purely to play Persona 4, but despite various tinkering, I cannot get this to run smoothly at a frame rate that doesn't have noticeably slowed audio. It wouldn't be so bad for me if it was even hovering around 50fps during fmvs and gameplay, since the audio wouldn't be driving me insane.

The system specs are as follows:
Mainboard: Asus P5B Premium Vista
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3.20 GHz 3.21GHz
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4650 1Bb
RAM: 4GB DDR2

With the speed hacks[EE Cycle rate 2;VU Cycle Stealing 2, all but Enable FastCDVD ticked], on, things are as follows.
EE averages between 85-100%
FPS averages between 30-45fps during fmv and gameplay, always at max during menus [caps at 45 on main menu due to polygons].
GS does not exceed 15%.
Without, they are generally less. All other settings are left untouched, aside from setting it into DX10 Hardware, native ticked off.

Any takers with some pointers?

Sponsored links

Well, it seems like your CPU is your bottleneck.

You could set VU Cycle Stealing to 3 - it'll make the game run closer to "full speed", but it will generally have a lower, jumpier FPS.

Edit: How many cores do you have? And are you on a laptop, too?

Edit*: Also, have you tried going into the sound plugin's settings and setting the synchronization method to "Async"?
Want to contribute? Don't know how? Check out the PCSX2 Wiki page!

Keep safe with MyWOT.

I have everything...
Unfortunately you have a weak CPU and persona can be CPU demanding at times.

If the audio is the only thing you're worried about then you can try setting the "Synchronizing Mode" in SPU2-X sound plugin to Async, take in count this may break other games and even the FMVs in that game so use it with caution.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(06-28-2011, 12:32 AM)MyDreamName Wrote: Well, it seems like your CPU is your bottleneck.

You could set VU Cycle Stealing to 3 - it'll make the game run closer to "full speed", but it will generally have a lower, jumpier FPS.

Edit: How many cores do you have? And are you on a laptop, too?

Edit*: Also, have you tried going into the sound plugin's settings and setting the synchronization method to "Async"?

I've tried Cycle Stealing at 3, but I didn't really notice any more of a performance boost.

This is a desktop, and it's dual core. I guess when I get the chance, I could try the Async.
Pentium 4 isn't a dual core.
I guess your are making a confusion with hyper threading.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
The CPU is definitely too old for this game.
We're sorry PCSX2 is so demanding but it's in the nature of PS2 emulation.
Ah, my mistake. I think what threw me off was the listing of the processor under the system section of my control panel, which listed 3.20 GHz and then a 3.21 GHz right after it. Ah well. Guess I'll just have to find some other way of going about things then.