Performance/FPS/Speed/Resident Evil 4
Hi,

I imagine this problem has been dealt with but I find no answers when I type the 3 words in the subject (and many more). Also my problem is extra confusing because the software will tell me it's running at 60+ fps but the speed is about 50%.

I use a Mac with 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 3GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM and my graphics card is ATI Radeon HD 4870. I'm not sure what all that means, but I feel like if I can play WoW, Spore, Modern Warfare etc at top graphics and run 3D Animation software, it's a good enough computer.

So... Resident Evil 4 is running slow as hell with bad audio syncing. Does anyone have experience making this game work?

I've also tried Bully and while it works (Slow as hell) on my VMWare Windows XP, I get massive graphical glitches on my Mac making it un-playable.

Also- Bug report: For some reason the left analog stick is inverted. But that's easy enough to work around.

I hope by opening up this dialogue I can become less noobish with my ps2 emulator.

ps I own these games but my old ps2 died of old age.

Sponsored links

RE4 is very slow with zzogl on even the most powerful configurations, do other games also lag?
Ye, I got Disgaea 2 to work pretty well. Except the sound is dodgy as hell with all games. So you're saying I should hunt for graphics plugins?

Thanks a lot
try unchecking everything in the sound config options. even though it says recommended i find it lags the sound a lot. (especially the top one)
13" 2010 Mac Book Pro - Snow Leopard 10.6.7 - Pcsx2 Version: 0.9.6 (and praying on 0.9.7 to release)
2.4Ghz Intel Duo Core | NVIDIA 320M (256mb) | 4 Gigs 1067mhz DDR3 Ram

Hi, cheers.

For some reason I cannot configure the sound, only change it to Spnull which appears to be silent.

So where is a good resource for plugins for me to try? Anyone got specific data on certain games that will work well?
I am having the same issues with this game. After nearly 3+ hours just trying to get PCSX2 to work, the audio is really choppy and the fps is reaaaaallly slow. I can't even make it past the intro cutscene (it will go past it, but I turn it off, it's just too slow).

System/setup/config:

Mac OS X 10.6.8
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB RAM
ZZ Ogl 0.19.195
P.E.Op.S. SPU2 SDL 1.9.0 <-------- this is the only sound plugin that seems to work for me on this game
Frame Limiting enabled under CPU Config

Has there been any update on this/anyone found a way to make this game playable?

At this point I am giving up on PCSX2 altogether. It is just way too glitchy. I have PCSX and it runs flawlessly, but this is ridiculous.
The last comment was totally uncalled for, you could just do it without showing an ugly face. PCSX2 is not yet complete and the Mac version is lagging behind. Anyway you are welcome to continue playing on your console or not playing at all.

Edit: Know that once upon a time no PS1 emulator ran most games without glitches, some even tried the commercial route (bleem!) because was the first and at the time the "only" which played many games reasonably... Was not different for every other emulator you see working most games for their original consoles today, all they had the development phase and I still remember how "sluggish" the SNES emulators were at "their time".

So, you just are not experimented enough nor knowledgeable enough to understand the implications of your statement.

Fortunately many PCSX2 developers aren't giving up like you are and most users are grateful for their hard work in making the emulator what it is today and what it will become.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(02-16-2013, 11:03 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: The last comment was totally uncalled for, you could just do it without showing an ugly face. PCSX2 is not yet complete and the Mac version is lagging behind. Anyway you are welcome to continue playing on your console or not playing at all.

Edit: Know that once upon a time no PS1 emulator ran most games without glitches, some even tried the commercial route (bleem!) because was the first and at the time the "only" which played many games reasonably... Was not different for every other emulator you see working most games for their original consoles today, all they had the development phase and I still remember how "sluggish" the SNES emulators were at "their time".

So, you just are not experimented enough nor knowledgeable enough to understand the implications of your statement.

Fortunately many PCSX2 developers aren't giving up like you are and most users are grateful for their hard work in making the emulator what it is today and what it will become.

Actually, I don't think you understand the implications of my statement. You're just making your own implications and assigning them to me.

Where did I say I didn't appreciate what the community of developers has done? And how do you know how "experimented" I am with developing and emulating?

The emulator doesn't work. Period. What else am I supposed to do other than give up? Please explain that to me. I've done nothing but demonstrate patience with this. I've spent 3 hours just getting PCSX2 to work on my system. That was dedicated time I put in to making it work and researching/trying different solutions. Now that it is working, I can't get the game to work, so I've come here to research more options. That was the ENTIRE point of my post, how did you miss it? Explain to me how taking the time to register for a forum so I can post a thread to ask for another solution, wherein I post my specs to determine if there is a compatibility issue, constitutes a lack of "experimenting".

YOUR post was entirely uncalled for, and I find it ironic. If you don't have a solution or some sort of help, you're really not contributing anything.
(02-17-2013, 12:11 AM)Osceana Wrote: Actually, I don't think you understand the implications of my statement. You're just making your own implications and assigning them to me.

Where did I say I didn't appreciate what the community of developers has done? And how do you know how "experimented" I am with developing and emulating?

The emulator doesn't work. Period. What else am I supposed to do other than give up? Please explain that to me. I've done nothing but demonstrate patience with this. I've spent 3 hours just getting PCSX2 to work on my system. That was dedicated time I put in to making it work and researching/trying different solutions. Now that it is working, I can't get the game to work, so I've come here to research more options. That was the ENTIRE point of my post, how did you miss it? Explain to me how taking the time to register for a forum so I can post a thread to ask for another solution, wherein I post my specs to determine if there is a compatibility issue, constitutes a lack of "experimenting".

YOUR post was entirely uncalled for, and I find it ironic. If you don't have a solution or some sort of help, you're really not contributing anything.

Just give up, there is no need to tell you'll do it because the emulator is not working for you, at least for that specific game, which is known to be still problematic even to the Windows version (where the main development branch happens first).

My advice is to be patient, someday the emulator will run on most machines as smooth as the older one (for an older and less demanding console) yourself pointed do now in nowadays machines.

PS: Don't get me wrong, when I said you lack the experience and knowledge I meant about the history of emulation and showed you did not follow the development of those previous emulators, else you would know they had hard times also, ranging from game compatibility to glitches and performance issues (on the weak machines of then). No any other implication.

Other than the unnecessary comment, nothing else wrong with your post. Asking for help is valid and everyone here will try to do it the best possible (in all ways, even for technical issues). Maybe an immediate solution can't be achieved, but who knows what the future reserves to us?
Imagination is where we are truly real
(02-17-2013, 02:20 AM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: Just give up, there is no need to tell you'll do it because the emulator is not working for you, at least for that specific game, which is known to be still problematic even to the Windows version (where the main development branch happens first).

My advice is to be patient, someday the emulator will run on most machines as smooth as the older one (for an older and less demanding console) yourself pointed do now in nowadays machines.

PS: Don't get me wrong, when I said you lack the experience and knowledge I meant about the history of emulation and showed you did not follow the development of those previous emulators, else you would know they had hard times also, ranging from game compatibility to glitches and performance issues (on the weak machines of then). No any other implication.

Fair enough. A great deal of that last line (giving up on PCSX2) of my initial post was out of frustration. I won't give up on this emu, but this game, yeah, probably. For now anyway.

I know it takes a while, but I was hoping that since the oldest post in this thread was nearly 2 years old someone might have a fix, but I guess not. It happens. I know it took a while for PCSX to be smoothed out (I went through a similar thing with ZSNES and SNES9x a few years back).

On that note, I did forget to mention, if anyone has it working on 0.9.7 (Lion version) let me know. I doubt it, but thought I'd throw that out there. I haven't updated my OS in a while and hadn't planned to, but if .7 is more reliable I will. Thanks.