Performance Issues
Hello,

I am new to PCSX2 and have been experimenting with a few games over the past week. However, I have encountered some slow down which seems to be mainly with audio (but maybe it is the game itself) and wanted some suggestions for improvement.

First though, I would like to say I was really impressed with how good games look if I enabled scaling with 6X Native resolution along side Direct3D 11 Hardware at 1920x1080 (VP2 for example). Doing so shows major slowdown though... even with no scaling, there is slowdown on my system, which was surprising as I thought I should be able to run at full speed.

My PC specifications are as follows (are they too slow?):
Or are additional customizations in the emulator needed?

AMD Phenom II X4 720 (3.4Ghz)
G.Skill 8GB 1066 DDR2
Two Sapphire 5770s in CrossFireX (925/1300)

Thanks

Sponsored links

Your cpu is slow for VP2 and that gpu is too weak for 6x scaling, even more so for games like VP2.
VP2 is a "megathrust" and won't work full speed on a I7 2600k @4.5ghz.

you can still set skipdraw hack to 1 to get a fps boost.
think about trying latest svn with mtvu hack too...
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
How many cores can PCSX2 support? Do additional cores improve performance or is it the speed/instructions on the chip itself?

Just for the hell of it, would kind of system (CPU/GPU) would you need to run VP2 at full speed with 6x scaling at 1080p?

Also, is it possible to use load save files from a PS2 memory card with PCSX2? For example, using the a PS3 USB cable with the PS3 legacy memory card adapter?
(03-04-2012, 04:21 PM)Seraphic Wrote: How many cores can PCSX2 support? Do additional cores improve performance or is it the speed/instructions on the chip itself?

Just for the hell of it, would kind of system would you need to run VP2 at full speed with 6x scaling at 1080p?
*pcsx2 core usage:
Majority = 2 cores
MTVU = Multi-core(i think it's only for experimental use)

*have tried set VU-Cycle stealing to Lv-2?

*unless you have an Intel-i you can use sse4 and AVX for improvement unfortunately youre stuck at sse2 because you have AMD.

Main PC1:i5-4670,HD7770(Active!)
Main PC2:i5-11600K,GTX1660Ti(Active!)
PCSX2 Discord server IGN:smartstrike
PCSX2 version uses:Custom compiled buildĀ 1.7.0 64-bit(to be update regularly)
smartstk's YouTube Channel
(03-04-2012, 04:21 PM)Seraphic Wrote: Also, is it possible to use load save files from a PS2 memory card with PCSX2? For example, using the a PS3 USB cable with the PS3 legacy memory card adapter?

you can do that with mymc, although i'm not sure if it support ps3 memory format, you'll probably have to convert it first.
Quote:at full speed with 6x scaling at 1080p?
You probably don't even know what 1080p means (*curses at marketing full-hd junk*)
1080p=1920x1080 resolution. 6x scaling = 6 times the native resolution of the game. VP2's native resolution is 640x448 so using 6x scaling would make it render at 6*(640x448)=3840x2688. So yeah it's either 6x scaling OR 1080p (=1920x1080) And for the resolution 6x scaling comes up with, you will need some godlike graphics card Tongue
[Image: newsig.jpg]
the p that stands behind 1080 means it's progressive u also have 1080i which is Interlaced.
(03-04-2012, 04:00 PM)Seraphic Wrote: My PC specifications are as follows (are they too slow?):

Well-- It is a heavier game to emulate.
Your processor is pretty decent, but not a "power-house" by any means with PCSX2.

Your GPU (just one; since that's all PCSX2 will use) is in about the same catagory as your processor. It should always handle some up-scaling, like 2x at least, but any more will depend on the game. Just don't expect 6x native with most any game, since even the greatest card out now will not always be capable...

(03-04-2012, 04:00 PM)Seraphic Wrote: Or are additional customizations in the emulator needed?

If your after performance,
put the internal resolution down to native.
You can alway raise it later, and test your limit then.

Have you used any Speedhacks at all?
The can help a great deal,
but can do nothing if a GPU limitation is in the way.
(03-04-2012, 04:18 PM)jesalvein Wrote: VP2 is a "megathrust" and won't work full speed on a I7 2600k @4.5ghz.

you can still set skipdraw hack to 1 to get a fps boost.
think about trying latest svn with mtvu hack too...

What? :| i get fullspeed at 3.8Ghz......