Performance Issues with Ridge Racer V
Shadow Lady, given your knowledge of this situation, what would you say is the minimum clock speed required to run this game at full 60fps without slowdown/lag? 4.0Ghz? 4.2? 4.5? 4.8? 5.0?

Sponsored links

Without lag? I can run races full speed except at the beginning when all the cars are together and 4Ghz or so should make up for that in my CPU.

On the other hand if what you want is good looking and smooth 60FPS races then you probably can't do it right now unless you had a 5-6GHz quad/hexa-core to run it in software without frameskip.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(09-18-2010, 04:31 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: Without lag? I can run races full speed except at the beginning when all the cars are together and 4Ghz or so should make up for that in my CPU.

On the other hand if what you want is good looking and smooth 60FPS races then you probably can't do it right now unless you had a 5-6GHz quad/hexa-core to run it in software without frameskip.

I see. Thanks. I am looking at upgrading my Intel chip from a Core2duo E8500 to a Core i7 960 and then overclocking it to 4.0Ghz. I should be OK that, no?
OK well,

I have just spent over an hour experimenting with various settings and tweaks trying to see what I can get out of PCSX2 to run Ridge Racer V smoothly, and I have come one important conclusion:

This game needs work. It is in bad shape and is desperate need of optimization for PCSX2. I have gotten it to run a little better on my laptop, but after carefully observing the way it runs in-game, I can say with confidence that no PC in the world woould be able to achieve a smooth 60fps without constant lag and slowdown. It's not the clockspeed of our CPU's it's the way PCSX2 is running it. Something in the emu itself is severely bottlenecking it. Lot of parts of the track where it slows to a crawl for no reason, then immediately speeds up. That is a sign that the game needs to be tweaked.

This is a message to all the developers of PCSX2:

You guys are doing a wonderful job and this is one of the best emulators in existence!!!! But please please PLEASE...I am begging you....take a look at what's wrong with Ridge Racer V. Please, this is one of my favorite games of all time, and it's a shame we all can't play it at full speed without the annoying lag/slowdown. Please devs take a look at the game and see what you can do. It would bring tremendous joy to all the Ridge Racer fans around the globe Smile
Yes Isamu.
That's the same for all GoW, GT4, DBZ and Naruto fans.
Who actually far outnumber any Ridge Racer 5 fans.
Not that it matters though, as we've fixed all fixable bottlenecks already.

What's left to fix is fundamental problems in GSdx and that will take
a good while longer, sorry.
just raced the first track but the only slowdown i got was at the beginning of the race when more than one or two cars are on the screen.

and it doesn't matter if i use hardware- or softwaremode, in both modes i get 50fps (pal) continuously (except there are more cars on the screen as i said already.

these "lags" and "slowdows" statements of yours sound like they are really serious ones and make the game less playable and stuff, but i cant comprehend them. at least not in the first race.

edit: pentium E5200 @ 4,25ghz; radeon 4870; win7; svn3795
Intel 486 DX33 33Mhz
8MB EDO Ram
S3 Graphics Trio64V+
Windows 95
Running MGS3 Snake Eater fully playable @ 0.05 fps
(09-18-2010, 02:57 PM)rama Wrote: Yes Isamu.
That's the same for all GoW, GT4, DBZ and Naruto fans.
Who actually far outnumber any Ridge Racer 5 fans.
Not that it matters though, as we've fixed all fixable bottlenecks already.

What's left to fix is fundamental problems in GSdx and that will take
a good while longer, sorry.

Hello rama. First of all, I just want to say that you could have easily ignored my post and this entire thread, and went on about your business, but you didn't. You replied and explained your thoughts on the issue. For that my friend, I want to say thank you. It's much appreciated. I am at a little more at ease now, knowing there is at least one PCSX2 dev out there who is aware of what is happening with this game and will do something about it. Thanks.

Hey Cyphox:

(09-18-2010, 05:32 PM)Cyphox Wrote: just raced the first track but the only slowdown i got was at the beginning of the race when more than one or two cars are on the screen.

and it doesn't matter if i use hardware- or softwaremode, in both modes i get 50fps (pal) continuously (except there are more cars on the screen as i said already.

these "lags" and "slowdows" statements of yours sound like they are really serious ones and make the game less playable and stuff, but i cant comprehend them. at least not in the first race.

edit: pentium E5200 @ 4,25ghz; radeon 4870; win7; svn3795

Thanks for the reply. I am encouraged to see that you can run the game with minimal slowdown and get full speed most of the time. I also notice you have a fairly powerful PC. I am hoping to upgrade my PC to a Core i7 960 and overclock that ***** to 4.2ghz like you. I have also instructed them to place a 5870 in there as well.

So you have the pal version of the game? Very interesting. I wonder if the PAL version runs any smoother than the NTSC version. I don't recall exactly but I remember a long time ago I read a comment in the NGEMU PCSX2 forum that they were running the game and felt that the ntsc version ran smoother. It could have been the other way around I don't remember.
Often there is little diffrence between pal and ntsc. Pal runs on 50 fps while ntsc 60 fps, but that doesnt mean pal runs at full speed more easily. Usually they run at the same percentage of full speed. Ntsc seems to be a bit more compatible but not by much, as almost all my games are pal and I havent had any major issues.
Specs:
CPU: C2D E8400 @ 3.6
GPU: GTX 560Ti 2Gb
MOB: Asus P5QL
RAM: Crucial 4Gb
Just a heads up...here's a link to a thread where toyosps claims he gets full feel 99% of the time. Check out his PC specs....hmmm, interesting:

http://forums.ngemu.com/pcsx2-forum/1063...stion.html
Yes... he's using frameskip which I mentioned before can get full speed already, doesn't solve the bad textures in hardware or the well... skippy feeling of frameskip.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64