Performance Issues with Ridge Racer V
(09-18-2010, 10:21 PM)Isamu Wrote: Just a heads up...here's a link to a thread where toyosps claims he gets full feel 99% of the time. Check out his PC specs....hmmm, interesting:

more weird than interesting Blink

especially when you consider that his statement is from 2008

maybe rr5 runs better in damn old version of pcsx2 than in 3113 and current svns? dont know....

and yeah, rama is a nice guy
first: he's a fellow-countryman Tongue
second: i told him a crc from a mgs3-version that didn't work with gsdx in hardwaremode (a "hack" in gsdx has to be activated to get rid of these blue glitches). and now it does. Tongue

edit: he was using frameskip? what an evil person, he didn't even mention it in his posts
Intel 486 DX33 33Mhz
8MB EDO Ram
S3 Graphics Trio64V+
Windows 95
Running MGS3 Snake Eater fully playable @ 0.05 fps

Sponsored links

He did mention it:
Quote:the lowest possible framerate drop based on my experience is 49-52fps when theres a lot going on screen, but most of the time its 57-60fps especially now that Cottonvibes has made an excellent VUskip modification

VUskip does frameskip too which is what gives a speedup in this game.

Edit: now that I think about it... he first claimed getting 60FPS then it was 57-60 most of the time and then says he got down to 49-52fps... doesn't exactly strike me as "full feel 99% of the time" Tongue2
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(09-18-2010, 11:24 PM)Shadow Lady Wrote: He did mention it:
Quote:the lowest possible framerate drop based on my experience is 49-52fps when theres a lot going on screen, but most of the time its 57-60fps especially now that Cottonvibes has made an excellent VUskip modification

VUskip does frameskip too which is what gives a speedup in this game.

Edit: now that I think about it... he first claimed getting 60FPS then it was 57-60 most of the time and then says he got down to 49-52fps... doesn't exactly strike me as "full feel 99% of the time" Tongue2

Excellent points SL. It's precisely the reason why I do not like using frameskip. I am sincerely hoping the devs will discover a breakthrough on how to accomplish getting the game to run properly. So we'll have to wait and see.
My new custom Xbox 360 controller emulator from my buddy Racer_S, which allows my force feedback steering USB wheel to be seen in PCSX2 as an actual Xbox 360 gamepad, has revived my interest in playing Ridge Racer V in PCSX2 again. Spent a couple hours on it this morning in fact I still have it running in the background as I type.

My enjoyment continues to be slightly hampered however, by the less than impressive performance of the game in PCSX2. That being said, I have been able to find a few tweaks and settings that appears to make the game ever so closer playable speeds.

I am wondering if any of you can recommend some tweaks I can apply in the "emulation settings" menu, which contain some of the more "foreign" settings that I'm generally not familiar with. For example, is there anything in the "EE/IOP", "VUs" or "Speedhacks" menu that you'd suggest I change that may help bring a small speedup to the game? What are the best settings in each category?

One thing I've noticed, is that if I disable frame limiting, the game will runs much faster than 60fps and behave in fast forward mode. I wonder if there's a way to lock it "V-sync style" so that it runs at 60fps even with the frame limiter disabled?

Also, is there any particular sound plugin you'd suggest using that could help bring a speed increase for Ridge Racer V? If so, please let me know.

Once again my specs:

Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i7 950 OC'ed to 4.0Ghz
ATI 5870 1GB
6GB DDR3 Ram
2TB Seagate HDD @ 7200rpm
Your problem may actually be an enabled vsync. Make sure to set your driver to "force off" and also to disable the setting in PCSX2.
Due to the way vsync works, it often needs the game to run at up to 3x of full speed so it never kicks in.
(So just make sure its off Tongue2 )
(12-15-2010, 06:25 PM)rama Wrote: Your problem may actually be an enabled vsync. Make sure to set your driver to "force off" and also to disable the setting in PCSX2.
Due to the way vsync works, it often needs the game to run at up to 3x of full speed so it never kicks in.
(So just make sure its off Tongue2 )

Thanks rama. And keep up the great work you're doing, we all appreciate it and we're rooting for you Smile
Just wanna say we all appreciate the hard work you're doing rama and the rest of the dev crew.

I revisited RRV again today with one of the newer betas. It still lags quite a bit during the race. Seems that it *may* be related to gdsx, because if I turn the res up to scale higher than x3, the game is slow in a lot of areas on the track. x3 res or lower and it's ok but certainly not 100% smooth all the time. Hopefully with the hard work rama and his crew are doing, we will see a breakthrough one of these days with this game. Smile

I will keep tweaking with different settings until then.
Have you tried setting the VU1 recompiler to superVU?
(Just thought I'd try. Smile)
(10-12-2011, 05:19 PM)Rezard Wrote: Have you tried setting the VU1 recompiler to superVU?
(Just thought I'd try. Smile)

What were your results? I did but it didn't make any difference on my rig.

I'm still wondering though....what is the best gdsx plug-in I should be using for my Intel Core i7 950 CPU and AMD 5870 GPU? SSSE2? SSSE3? SSE4? And should it be the 4922 or 4600 versions?

No results on my end, because I don't have the game. Tongue

There's no trickery with the GSdx plugin really. The higher, the better.
(SSE2<SSSE3<SSE41)

What PCSX2 build?
One is stable, the other is SVN.
You can try an SVN, but if you encounter new problems with that game or find it worse, go back to what is stable.