Performance problem with ATI-5000 series
Recently i switched from NVIDIA to ATI, to be concrete i buyed a
XFX radeon 5850 BLACK EDITION to replace my old NVIDIA 8800 ultra.

I can recommend this videocard to anyone who is looking for a new one
with directX 11 capabilities for an acceptable price.
At first i was content with the performance until i noticed a drastical
drawback: the PCSX2 emulator runs horribly with the new card.

The general performance of the emulator suffers greatly since i have switched the videocards. Even at the startscreen of tales of the abyss the performance drops below 50% and so do all other games i have played.
I noticed that the performance allways drops below 50% when some bloom-effects are shown like the window in the startscreen at TotA.

There were no problems like that with my old 8800 ultra, which could handle the entire game with 100%, and i think that it is strange that my new 5850 cant handle something my old ultra could.
I already tried several things like playing around with GsDX but it didn change anything at all. I hope you guys can help me with this one.

my Specs: Intel Core 2 Duo E 6750 @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon 5850 BE
4GB DDR2 Ram

Sponsored links

It's most probably bad drivers, since many others run PCSX2 successfully with these new radeon cards. Also check to see if anti aliasing or vsync is forced in your drivers and disable them.
Of course all that is assuming you didn't change your settings after changing your card.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Also make sure to use the latest GSdx beta build.
Im pretty new with ati cards. Is there another driver than the catalyst control
center thing?
I have no problems with my 5770 and I am able to run FFXII at 100% speed. Battles, Menus, and global world. To my knowledge the official drivers should be your choice. Also make sure that when you use GSDX you select the DX10 and NOT DX11. Also disable the 8 bit textures (might help..).
i7 @ 3.2Ghz /w Noctua
6GB Dominator 1600Mhz
5770 Vapor-X
1.5 TB Raid 5 /w 3ware 9650SE

I have the latest driver from ATI Technologies Inc. (ver. 8.690.0.0) so i dont think that the driver is at fault. I also tried the BETA version of the emulator but it actually runs worst than the stable version.
Thats why i say that ATI Sucks.AMD rocks!
I'm inactive on this, dedicating most of my time to osu!
If Gabest had ATI card while working on GSdx, I'm sure you'd be saying otherwise.
Cards from both manufacturers support the same standards, but are different enough to cause a large headache for game/emulator developers.
I don't have any issues with my card whatsoever, I just keep DirectX and graphics drivers up-to-date...
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K @3,3Ghz (not OC'ed yet)
GPU: GTX 570 @850/1700/2100
RAM: 2x4GB Kingston DDR3-1600
Everyone chooses their GPU.Im just sayin Wink
I'm inactive on this, dedicating most of my time to osu!
(03-22-2010, 04:42 PM)ufoman Wrote: If Gabest had ATI card while working on GSdx, I'm sure you'd be saying otherwise.
Cards from both manufacturers support the same standards, but are different enough to cause a large headache for game/emulator developers.
I don't have any issues with my card whatsoever, I just keep DirectX and graphics drivers up-to-date...

Not quite true, ATI has always been problematic like this. They're pretty good when you talk about big PC games but not so much otherwise (emulators have always had some problem or another with ati cards).

@wedge_13:
You shouldn't be having trouble with the most recent GSdx from the march plugin package and make sure you disable "allow 8-bit textures" on it. And as mentioned before make sure you don't have some features forced in your graphics card.

Also show us your current settings so we can help better.

BTW, did you make sure you completely erased the old drivers from your machine?
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64