Persona 4 FPS drops
Hi all,

I'm experiencing not critical, but pretty unpleasant FPS drops while playing SMT Persona 4. I've searched a lot through these forums but never found a universal solution and ideal configs for the game.

Here are my PC specs:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X-2 555 3.2 Ghz
GPU: AMD Radeon HD5770 1024MB
RAM: 4GB
PCSX2 1.3.0 - 20140724182200 (git), NTSC-J
Dualshock 4 (if it matters)

I think it's more than enough to run Persona 4 on stable 60FPS with 1680x1050 resolution. However, fps drops here and there during dialogues, running and fog. Sometimes even in cutscenes.

Here are the PCSX2 settings. I've tried A LOT of different settings and speedhacks configuration, and most optimal is the one on the images.

Changing from MicroVU to SuperVU doesn't seem to make any difference. However I haven't tried superVU while running on Direct3D9 (hardware), which is giving better performance than Direct3D11.

I even tried to switch to native PS2 resolution, but fps drops are still there, so it's probably not a weak PC issue.

Any ideas what may be causing the problem?

Sponsored links

what do the ee% & gs% say when getting slowdowns ?
when exactly do you have this issue ? Is that when a specific ennemy appears ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(02-14-2015, 10:10 AM)jesalvein Wrote: what do the ee% & gs% say when getting slowdowns ?
when exactly do you have this issue ? Is that when a specific ennemy appears ?

EE is ranging from 35-50%. GS high is 25%, during slowdowns it drops to 1-5%.

I'm having this issue even while walking at home, in bedroom.
tried disabling amd cool n' quiet ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
I didn't, but I've just disabled it and... Persona 4 became smoothest ever game running on my PC! Smile
Hopefully, it will stay at immutable 60FPS in the battles as well.

Thank you VERY much! It was non-obvious but extremely helpful suggestion.
Also, use dx11 over dx9 to get a little performance boost.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(02-14-2015, 11:53 AM)ssakash Wrote: Also, use dx11 over dx9 to get a little performance boost.

Yes, before disabling Cool'n'Quiet it was running slightly better with DX9, but now I switched back to DX11. Even graphical boosts like FXAA and Anisotropic Filtering don't seem to affect performance. Thanks.