Persona3 fes sudden frame drops after ssd upgrade
Hi,
my problem is that i like to play the dungeons in turbo mode with ~100fps but sometimes the frame drops to 60fps and below without a scene change. I'm just standing still then suddenly there is a black flicker and the frames drop.
I can temporarily solve this by closing the gs window and reopen it then its 100fps again but some time after that the screen flickers and the frame drops again.
This did not happen when i played on the same laptop but with a hdd but i can't think of why the change to ssd would cause that.

I'm running PCSX2 1.2.1.r5873 on win8.1 u1 on a samsung laptop with an
Intel Core i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz
NVIDIA Geforce GT 620m
4gb ram
and samsung ssd 840 EVO 120gb
plugins:
-gsdx32-sse4-r5875; d3d11 2xnative; enable FXAA; Texture filtering (square); enable HW Hacks: sprite
-spu2-x-r5875; catmul-rom; xaudio2; synchmode:async mix
Speedhacks defaults enabled + MTVU

Hope you can help me troubleshoot this.

Sponsored links

Prolly a heat issue. Check your CPU temps with coretemp and GPU temps with GPU-Z. Also set your power plan to high performance.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Check your temperature. It sounds like an overheating problem. (especially considering that you use a notebook)
Hmm thought 85°C CPU and 60°C GPU was pretty normal. never saw those drops on other PC games where CPU temp sometimes spike over 90. I will try to under clock the CPU more and try setting frame skip to 80. perhaps build a usb powered fan to help cooling. Power plan is set to high performance. Thanks for your help and I'm still open for other suggestions.
85c is WAY too high for a CPU, if you swapped those 2 around that would be normal yes.

a ceiling for Intel CPU's should be no higher than 70C ideally, for GPU's they can handle up to 90-100c reasonably safely, although it may bugger the solder up on the board, which is why i dont like stock coolers.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

It sounds kinda like it's switching from your dedicated GPU back to the one built in the CPU. That would explain the flicker. Have you used the nvidia control panel to assign pcsx2 to the 620m?

And yes that's a bit hot. The TJ Max is 100C, but I wouldn't dare push it that hot.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Those are very high cpu temps...
85 C should be a maximum.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(06-24-2014, 12:29 AM)refraction Wrote: 85c is WAY too high for a CPU, if you swapped those 2 around that would be normal yes.

a ceiling for Intel CPU's should be no higher than 70C ideally, for GPU's they can handle up to 90-100c reasonably safely, although it may bugger the solder up on the board, which is why i dont like stock coolers.

That is way to high for DESKTOP forget about on laptop that sucker gona downclock and like no tommorow not to mention be super hot to the touch...

BTW 85c is to hot for laptop too... if any laptop is getting that hot it time to make sure you fans are working and the HS and vents and everything else is not packed with dust
Thanks for your replies.
So i put an aluminum block underneath the laptop, build an USB fan from an old case fan for better air flow and under clocked the CPU to 2ghz and it still happens.
Temp. was 69°C CPU 45°C GPU.
I checked the nvidia tool and pcsx2 was still using the nvidia card. Any other ideas why this happens?
check cpu-z readings of you cpu during lags.

what are your gs% and EE% readings during slowdowns? They can be found in the title bar in windowed mode.

Have you tested what BlyssSarania suggested?