Pixelated menus and text
Sad 
Hi!

Currently I´ve been playing Persona 4 and Final Fantasy XII and they run just fine with resolution 3x native which results in smooth ingame graphics. This does however not seem to effect menu or text at all as they are very pixelated even in 6x. I´ve changed alot of setting, but nothing helps. Does anyone know something that might?

My specs:
MacBook Pro running Windows 7 natively in BootCamp
2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5
8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
256GB Solid State Drive

PCSX2 v0.9.9 Settings:
GSdx 4838 (MSVC 16.00, SSSE3) 0.1.16 (GSdx32-SSSE3)
Renderer: Direct3D11 (Hardware)
Interlacing: None
Texture filtering: Unchecked

Sponsored links

(08-31-2011, 09:05 PM)personame Wrote: Texture filtering: Unchecked

This is actually what this option does...if it's unchecked,no filtering will be applied and everything will look pixelated
(08-31-2011, 09:11 PM)vsub Wrote: @

This is actually what this option does...if it's unchecked,no filtering will be applied and everything will look pixelated

Thank you for replying. It is only menu/text and dialog graphics that has pixelation for me.

I tried with texture filtering on, here is a comparison:

Persona 4:
Texture filtering on:

Texture filtering off:

The menu and text look the same, but the drawn dialog graphics look better with texture filtering, however there is some slight tearing if you look closely at the girl and above which is not present when texture filtering is unchecked(?!)

Final Fantasy 12:
Texture filtering on:

Texture filtering off:

The menu and text look the same.
(08-31-2011, 11:01 PM)personame Wrote: (...)
with texture filtering on
(...)
The menu and text look the same.

That's couse texture filtering doesn't really work soo well on such objects like menu's/text/any other flat objects. Live with it. It's not a bug. It just cannot be upscaled nicely and soo it's still visible as on ps2, nothing really you can do about it except modding the game with hi-res fonts and stuff like that.
(08-31-2011, 11:01 PM)personame Wrote: Final Fantasy 12:
Texture filtering on:

Texture filtering off:

Both of those screenshots are with texture filtering to conditional. (You can see in both cases that the 3d world is texture filtered but some of the text is not). Try again and double-check your settings.
(09-01-2011, 03:29 PM)natt Wrote: Both of those screenshots are with texture filtering to conditional. (You can see in both cases that the 3d world is texture filtered but some of the text is not). Try again and double-check your settings.

Thank you all for replying.

Conditional texture filtering? I dont seem to have all options available. :/ My gdsx ini does not include "Allow hacks=0" so I cant enable that either. I have the latest version so Im not sure why my options are limited?
Check means full texture filtering, filled in square filters 3D model textures, but not flat 2d objects (like Text boxes and menus). The image, to me anyways, looks like you have filtering fully checked... Unfortunately for 2D objects, you're working with a very limited set of data... You can't create more detail with filtering, only take it away... in this case, taking it away blurs the outline and makes it seem less pixelated, but it'll never be a smooth and sharp outline. There is only so much that can be done without replacing the textures themselves (which you can't do on a PS2 game... at least not in an upscaling way)
[Image: 2748844.png]
(09-05-2011, 09:11 PM)Koji Wrote: Check means full texture filtering, filled in square filters 3D model textures, but not flat 2d objects (like Text boxes and menus). The image, to me anyways, looks like you have filtering fully checked... Unfortunately for 2D objects, you're working with a very limited set of data... You can't create more detail with filtering, only take it away... in this case, taking it away blurs the outline and makes it seem less pixelated, but it'll never be a smooth and sharp outline. There is only so much that can be done without replacing the textures themselves (which you can't do on a PS2 game... at least not in an upscaling way)

I tried editing my gdsx ini (msaa=4) and got a slightly better result but with it came a tearing along the edges:

Does my ini look normal?:

[Settings]
ModeWidth=0
ModeHeight=0
ModeRefreshRate=0
Renderer=3
Interlace=0
AspectRatio=0
upscale_multiplier=4
windowed=0
filter=2
paltex=0
vsync=0
logz=1
fba=1
aa1=0
nativeres=0
resx=1024
resy=1024
swthreads=1
msaa=4
UserHacks_AlphaHack=0
UserHacks_HalfPixelOffset=0
UserHacks_SkipDraw=0

hey how did you enable AA on Persona 4?
I tried forcing it via Nvidia Control Profile, but it doesnt look like your screenshot Sad
(09-07-2011, 12:28 PM)ferdimage Wrote: hey how did you enable AA on Persona 4?
I tried forcing it via Nvidia Control Profile, but it doesnt look like your screenshot Sad

Read 1 post before posting, please Tongue

(09-05-2011, 11:03 PM)personame Wrote: I tried editing my gdsx ini (msaa=4) and got a slightly better result but with it came a tearing along the edges:

[Settings]
msaa=4
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]