Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Play station 3 HACKED
Geohot has hracked the ps3

Quote:I have read/write access to the entire system memory, and HV level access to the processor. In other words, I have hacked the PS3. The rest is just software. And reversing. I have a lot of reversing ahead of me, as I now have dumps of LV0 and LV1. I've also dumped the NAND without removing it or a modchip.

3 years, 2 months, 11 days...thats a pretty secure system

Took 5 weeks, 3 in Boston, 2 here, very simple hardware cleverly applied, and some not so simple software.

Shout out to George Kharrat from iPhoneMod Brasil for giving me this PS3 a year and a half ago to hack. Sorry it took me so long Smile

As far as the exploit goes, I'm not revealing it yet. The theory isn't really patchable, but they can make implementations much harder. Also, for obvious reasons I can't post dumps. I'm hoping to find the decryption keys and post them, but they may be embedded in hardware. Hopefully keys are setup like the iPhone's KBAG.

A lot more to come...follow @geohot on twitter

Link to his blog
http://geohotps3.blogspot.com/

Now then we have a lot of scope for HOMEBREW and something like XMBC

Sponsored links

Lets hope this isn't another guy faking it just so n00bs will treat him as "the man".
(01-23-2010, 03:03 PM)Geezer Wrote: Lets hope this isn't another guy faking it just so n00bs will treat him as "the man".

This guy is no faker.He was the one to crack the iphone when it came out and has already jailbreaked the iphone 3gs os 3.1.2.
Meaningless.
The PS3 is still unflashable etc.
AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.6GHZ, 4GB PC8500 @ 1100MHZ, 4870x2 @ Stock.
meaningless, because for piracy user must have blu-ray burner and clean discs (which are not cheap).
By the time the hack will be fully implemented and blu-rays cheaper - there will be next generation PS4.

but it is good technical achievement!
Phenom II X4 940 3 Ghz / 8 gb RAM 800 / Geforce GTX 460 / win7 64
(01-23-2010, 05:25 PM)tohdom Wrote: meaningless, because for piracy user must have blu-ray burner and clean discs (which are not cheap).
By the time the hack will be fully implemented and blu-rays cheaper - there will be next generation PS4.

but it is good technical achievement!

Its not at all about piracy you see.U can start developing homebrew and stuff which is a big thing.
Let me quote myself from another forum. "I don't believe it", until I see it that is.

@indiandude, yeah your totally right, but lets admit it, that most of the people would just use it for piracy

and I'd rather not hack my PS3 if Sony ends up doing that funky stuff M$ just did with the xbox.(i.e. locking hard drives, banning from PSN etc.)

@tohdom, maybe the games'll load from the HDD directly and not a disc
(01-23-2010, 09:32 PM)bmate Wrote: @tohdom, maybe the games'll load from the HDD directly and not a disc

PS3 uses FAT32 HDD.
FAT32 maxes out around 4gb.

Seeing as about 95% of all ps3 games are beyond that size, that wont work.
Well tough its good to have unhackalbe security, on them opposite side its bad.
Almost all buy XBOX360 because ps3 cant be cracked. Its failure ;p
Intel Dual Core E5200 @ 3,5ghz /gigabyte GF9500GT/2 GB RAM / ASRock P45XE/ Corsair CMPSU-400CXEU
(01-23-2010, 11:08 PM)Geezer Wrote: PS3 uses FAT32 HDD.

Sorry, didn't knew.