Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PlayStation 2.5 ! ! ! O_o ? ?
I was wondering if this is even possible...

Imagine a new PS2...

One that could do the same thing that GSdx does for PCSX2...
Increase the internal resolution of PS2 3D Games, to say, 720p or higher...
Say that it accomplishes this task via beefed up hardware.

Mind you, I don't fully understand the architecture of a standard PS2, but I know that a lot of you do, so I ask. Smile

Would it wind up costing the same, or more than, the PS3? Laugh
My PCSX2 Rig:Windows XP x32 & Windows 7 x64.
i5 2500k @ 4.0 GHz.
nVIDIA GTX 460 1 GB.
>Dun Click Here<

Sponsored links

Didnt the PS3 do that already? i mean the God of War collection ^^
Well yes, there is one, it's called PCSX2. xD

But seriously, as far as actual consoles go, PS2 is dead. They're not going to release a new PS2 with higher specs and HD 720 output, or a changed internal resolution or anything. Besides from what I understand the original PS3 consoles had some EE emulation chip that functioned... partially, had some PS2 support at full 1080p but it was so sketchy and haphazard they turfed it. I know it sounds great in theory, like a HD N64 (Well we have Virtual Console on Wii, but...xD)

Hope this answers your question. :]
I'm willing to bet that the reason Sony/MS/Nintendo haven't tried anything like this before is due to "tricks" used by developers to get the most out of the available hardware. This is the case with a large amount of games and is likely to create issues if certain variables (mainly resolution) are changed in a way that wasn't available on the original hardware. Code that provides fake anti-aliasing at native resolution could just as well draw garbage over the screen at another, and it would be tiresome to implement individual fixes for each problematic game, much the same as it is for PCSX2.

Evidence of this can be seen with the XBox 360's backwards compatibility code. Games which were capable of 720p or 1080i on the original hardware (e.g. Soul Calibur 2) are locked to 480p under emulation in order to reduce the likelihood of problems like these.
Exactly what YukiS says.
We have these GSdx upscale issues for a reason, you know Tongue2
(10-07-2010, 01:09 AM)JTD Wrote: I was wondering if this is even possible...

Imagine a new PS2...

One that could do the same thing that GSdx does for PCSX2...
Increase the internal resolution of PS2 3D Games, to say, 720p or higher...
Say that it accomplishes this task via beefed up hardware.

Mind you, I don't fully understand the architecture of a standard PS2, but I know that a lot of you do, so I ask. Smile

Would it wind up costing the same, or more than, the PS3? Laugh

adding more pixels doesnt higher the graphics
it makes the image look more clear, so it seems as if its higherd the graphics *technically*.

id say that its more of a substitute for creators not including anti alliasing in most games, but if there were anti alliasing in most games then you would eventually see low framerate.

pcsx2 allows you too go way beyond 720p and almost 4x 1080p
and if you have a VERY high end pc you can add enb series too pcsx2 and higher the graphics too seem more like a ps 2.5.

but like i said you would need a high end pc
maybe when pcsx2 codes more than 2 cores

or if you can get a hold of a 4.2ghz core i7
6gb ddr3
ati 5870/nvidia 470 fermie
then you would be able too acheive maybe 30-40fps/ decent or fairly playable speed.

or they could remake the ps2 with gsdx
and add enb series or somthing like it
and sell the console for maybe $120
but i can get a 360 for $109
so it would more than likley start driving sony out of money...
or they could just sell them as a limited addition ps2 and make 10,000 copies of the console
sell them for $199-$299 as a collectable

but highly unlikley
would be nice too see though
long ago in a distant city, i batman defender of gotham unleashed an unspeakable order. but a foolish clown wielding a menasing laugh steped forth too opose me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSX_%28DVR%29
you can name that a ps2.5
OS: Win 7 Ultimate x64 sp1, MoBo: Asus P5QD Turbo, CPU: Q6600 @ 3,0Ghz, RAM: Trancend 2x2gb 6-6-6-18 800 MHz, GPU: HD 4850 1gb.
Pcsx2: Always Latest