PlayStation 3 And PCSX2
Well, good evening Smile.
This morning I saw my 40 GB PS3...And I thinked: 'But If I install an OS on my PS3, and I put PCSX2 in it, will it work?'
Well...can you answer this question? And, if is possible, can you explain me this?
Thanks XD

Sponsored links

No. You could install Linux on PS3, but it's non x86 architecture, so every assembler code would not worked. Not to mention about other architecture specific issues.
Well you can get it to work this way.... Install first Linux... then Install Windows on Linux (there are instructions somewhere) then maybe you want to try installing PCSX2 but I think its going to be very hard because I think non of the graphic plugins work.

Well I know why you want to try that. Your PS3 doesn't support PS2 games.

Only 20GB, 60GB and 80GB NTSC versions support PS2 games. Best is 60GB version where you can buy larger HDD =)
[Image: FireFlower.jpg]
[Image: 463094.png]
Don't give a bad advice. Windows does not help at all when it's come to a hardware emulation, even more, it made all suxx. DirectX would not working without host system support, and PS3 linux have only software GL. BTW, Bosh and QEMU could emulate SSE2, but this is slow.
(12-24-2008, 10:32 AM)FireFlower Wrote: Well you can get it to work this way.... Install first Linux... then Install Windows on Linux (there are instructions somewhere) then maybe you want to try installing PCSX2 but I think its going to be very hard because I think non of the graphic plugins work.

Well I know why you want to try that. Your PS3 doesn't support PS2 games.

Only 20GB, 60GB and 80GB NTSC versions support PS2 games. Best is 60GB version where you can buy larger HDD =)

Some beatiful games (FF X is an example) can have problems with general PS3 (yeah, check on internet the compatibility list of PS2 games on PS3, and FF X with other games has 1/3...and this includes all PS3 version)
For Zeydlitz: maybe you're right, but I'll try it, because I saw that I've installed linux on my ps3 since 1-2 months lol.
Hmm strange I have the PAL PS3 60GB and almost all of my 40 PAL Games run fine. This includes also FF-X, FF-X2 and FFXII. So I wonder about that list you mention Ninja
PCSX2 on PS3 would be unbearingly slow. QEMU is one of the programs that allow windows to be installed while YDL is being used but the bootup time itself takes forever for windows xp and even longer for vista. Some programs do work (basic games which you can see on Billb's YDL Forum but that's for windows 95 or 98) but I doubt you would be able to correctly run pcsx2 not the mention that the ps3's processors would already be handling ydl and emulating windows via QEMU AND the graphics card is not unlocked. You can see how to use windows on ydl via the yellowdog forum if you are interested but don't expect pcsx2 to work. Also the RSX is hacked but the code is in very early stages so I wouldn't recommend using that. YDL on PS3 is very close to being a virtual machine because Sony has blocked off the RSX which has its own memory (dedicated 256MB) causing YDL to only utilize 256 MB system memory.

EDIT:

YDL 6.1 for PS3 includes ps3vram which is also the gpu's memory. This doesn't increase performance but helps out when you have multiple programs opened (multitasking).
My PC:

AMD Phenom II X6 1055TT
ATI Radeon Viper HD4870 OC
4GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600MHz
MSI 890GXM-G65
23" Sceptre X23WG