Playable vs. "playable" ...
Hello, everyone. OK - so, what's up with how the PCSX2 team apparently defines "playable" ... ? I bought a game recently, made an ISO of it, and booted up PCSX2 only to find out that the game wouldn't work in hardware mode. (I checked the compatibility list first, and saw that it was "playable," so OK.) I turned software mode on, and boom, everything was fine again, but the game was moving slow and was hardly playable. I went back to the compatibility list, and saw that notes were left regarding the game's compatibility. I looked further, and saw that the game was "playable" in software mode. Come on. I disagree with that. If a game is designated as "playable," then that ought to mean not just being bootable from start to finish, but also actually playable in that the game runs at normal speed without glitches while using hardware mode. You know exactly what I mean here (and that's directed to the PCSX2 team). Add a new category to the compatibility list that says "playable," but also with the addition of the mode in which it is considered "playable" (e.g. HW = hardware mode, SW = software mode, HW/SW = both). In this case, I was fortunate I didn't blow a decent chunk of cash on the game (it was only a few bucks; no big deal), but what if it was $20 or $30? Don't inflate PCSX2's true compatibility rate by saying that certain games are "playable" when, in fact, they really aren't (mainly because of speed). Thanks.

Sponsored links

Playable = you can get from the beginning to the end (this does not include speed of the game)

This does not mean every side mission/path will work, but you can get to the end of the game in some way

also this discussion has been had before, the listing will not change. it is YOUR responsibility to do the research yourself
Quote:Don't inflate PCSX2's true compatibility rate by saying that certain games are "playable" when, in fact, they really aren't (mainly because of speed). Thanks.

We don't inflate anything. There is a very specific definition to the status 'playable', which is noted in the very list you found with your game.
'Playable: You can get from 'new game' to 'end credits'.'

Next time learn to read first.

Your suggestion about normal speed is pretty much impossible. What system would you take as a base for full speed? A Core i5 at 3 Ghz? At 4,3 Ghz? A Core 2 Duo ? A Phenom at 3 Ghz? There are infinite builds out there, that is why in each report the tester posts his PC specs and what kind of FPS he gets for a rough estimate. What is crap slow in your system in software mode, could be 2x full speed on mine.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(06-12-2014, 07:56 PM)Bositman Wrote: Your suggestion about normal speed is pretty much impossible. What system would you take as a base for full speed? A Core i5 at 3 Ghz? At 4,3 Ghz? A Core 2 Duo ? A Phenom at 3 Ghz?
The only way that could be feasible would be if it was base-lined at something like 3.0 dual or lower, most people have desktops of 3GHz or faster

then we could always use my old E2200 @ 2.20 GHz cause we both know what I was capable of pulling off on that Laugh
Playable means that it's reasonably playable on a reasonably fast system, usually at least in software mode, and sometimes also on slower systems and also in hardware mode.

On some cases, it's _really_ very slow even on a very fast system, so on such cases we generally don't tag the game as "playable".

Bot otherwise, if it's tagged as playable, it means that there's a reasonably modern consumer-level system which can play this game reasonably well, even if technically by "playable" it means basically that it doesn't crash.

We're not going to change these definitions, but you're welcome to open a thread or a web site and list games which are playable on your specific system. If this is professional enough, we might even link to it from the PCSX2 site.
I will note the playable status is given on a mild estimation, as for us to complete entire games (unless stated that it was completed) we generally test from 30 minutes to 2 hours of the game, if nothing bad happens in that time, generally you can assume that there will not be a problem for the rest of the game as it will be using the same code, just different level data files.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(06-12-2014, 09:04 PM)refraction Wrote: I will note the playable status is given on a mild estimation, as for us to complete entire games (unless stated that it was completed) we generally test from 30 minutes to 2 hours of the game, if nothing bad happens in that time, generally you can assume that there will not be a problem for the rest of the game as it will be using the same code, just different level data files.
to expand a bit on this:
Places like FFX's Thunder plains are RARE exceptions, it's not normal for a game to crash later on if it loads fine at the start (and the first 2-3 hours of gameplay)
(06-12-2014, 09:07 PM)Saiki Wrote: to expand a bit on this:
Places like FFX's Thunder plains are RARE exceptions, it's not normal for a game to crash later on if it loads fine at the start (and the first 2-3 hours of gameplay)

Yeah that hang can happen on the real PS2 as well, so that doesn't count as a bug in PCSX2, however these days I've been told the emulator is more stable there than the real system lol
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(06-12-2014, 09:14 PM)refraction Wrote: Yeah that hang can happen on the real PS2 as well, so that doesn't count as a bug in PCSX2, however these days I've been told the emulator is more stable there than the real system lol
A good 90% of the time, yes. You guys have done an amazing job on it. If disc swapping worked it would be nearly perfect, if not better than the actual system

I think that is the ONLY thing the pcsx2 does not have an advantage on
(06-12-2014, 09:14 PM)refraction Wrote: Yeah that hang can happen on the real PS2 as well, so that doesn't count as a bug in PCSX2, however these days I've been told the emulator is more stable there than the real system lol

I must be lucky i never seein the lighting plains have any issue on pcsx2 let alone on my real ps2.