Playing discs on Mac
Since my PS2 stopped working, I want to play Shadow of the Colossus from the game disc. Apparently the Mac version of PCSX2 doesn't allow accessing of the DVD drive.

I found an old thread on these forums about creating a disc image from the game disc. This is the procedure as described:
1. Insert the DVD, and in the terminal do:
2. diskutil unmountDisk disk1
3. ls -l /Users/
Find your username in that list and:
4. dd if=/dev/disk1 of=/Users/your-username/Desktop/your_game.iso

I waited for Shadow of the Colossus to complete the ISO using the terminal commands as described above, but the file size kept growing and growing for over an hour and a half. I had to finally end the process because I thought it would keep going until I ran out of disk space. Any ideas on why this would happen? My attempt to make the ISO from the source game was over 50 GB and growing. Yikes!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sponsored links

Maybe disk1 isn't your DVD?

You have multiple hard drives maybe?
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
You can check that in Disk Utility
"Eventually you too will hear it, The Last Melody"
(01-19-2015, 09:07 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Maybe disk1 isn't your DVD?

You have multiple hard drives maybe?

Hi Blyss! Not sure what you mean, but disk1 was from my DVD drive. I only have one hard drive.

Using the commands in terminal (Macintosh) seemed to get the process growing but the process kept building an enormous .iso file.

(01-19-2015, 02:32 PM)Kaze Wrote: You can check that in Disk Utility

Hi Kaze,

I'm sorry, check what in Disk Utility? The file size?
Maybe this will work instead. I've tried the process but haven't tested the finished ISO yet.

1. Use Disk Utility to make a CD/DVD Master .cdr file of your game with no encryption.

2. Open terminal and navigate to the folder the .cdr file is saved in.

3. Enter this command with your file name in place of the bracketed text

hdiutil makehybrid -o [filename].iso -iso -joliet [filename].cdr

4. Terminal will tell you it is Creating hybrid image… When it lists your directory again, it's done.

I hope this solves your issue, and I'd love to hear your results.
(01-31-2015, 02:12 AM)SirSagramore Wrote: Maybe this will work instead. I've tried the process but haven't tested the finished ISO yet.

1. Use Disk Utility to make a CD/DVD Master .cdr file of your game with no encryption.

2. Open terminal and navigate to the folder the .cdr file is saved in.

3. Enter this command with your file name in place of the bracketed text

hdiutil makehybrid -o [filename].iso -iso -joliet [filename].cdr

4. Terminal will tell you it is Creating hybrid image… When it lists your directory again, it's done.

I hope this solves your issue, and I'd love to hear your results.

Hi SirSagramore,

Thanks for the tip! Everything went as you instructed. The only issue is the iso image did not play. For some reason, PCSX2 did not recognize the image. It displayed the "Please insert a Playstation or Playstation 2 format disc" message in PCSX2. The iso I made from the .cdr is 2.67 GB. Seems like a standard size for Shadow of the Colossus. Any thoughts as to what is missing?    
(01-31-2015, 08:38 AM)Chiaroscurosity Wrote: Hi SirSagramore,

Thanks for the tip! Everything went as you instructed. The only issue is the iso image did not play. For some reason, PCSX2 did not recognize the image. It displayed the "Please insert a Playstation or Playstation 2 format disc" message in PCSX2. The iso I made from the .cdr is 2.67 GB. Seems like a standard size for Shadow of the Colossus. Any thoughts as to what is missing?

Oh geez, I haven't messed with this project or been back here in a while.

When I tested mine, I got the same problem, but found a solution, if you are still struggling. Do step #1 of my instructions again, but then stop there and try that .cdr file. PCSX2 seems to play really nice with the default Disk Image master ISO type. Granted, I'm running it on PC, but I made the ISOs on my Mac and they all boot up properly.