Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Playstation 4 and Xbox Next
As this generation of consoles is now for quite some time on the market, and keeping in mind the fact that the consoles' cycle is some 5-7 years, I'd like to ask anybody what you think the next-gen consoles will be like in terms of hardware as well as controllers and new technologies. I've been thinking about how many cores will they have and what graphics will they use. I'm sure Sony and Microsoft have some idea of what they want.
Thou, nature, art my goddess; to thy law
My services are bound.

We are such stuff
As dreams are made on; and our little life
is rounded with a sleep.

Sponsored links

Then ask them,probably over 10-15 cores x 3 Ghz or something Ohmy Laugh
I'm inactive on this, dedicating most of my time to osu!
i wonder what Microsoft will do? For their next console they must:
a) use sony's Blu-ray, lol!!
b) invent new format, just for xbox or fight hopeless battle with blu-ray
c) become digital-only.
d) stick with DVD?! I remember the PC games which came on multiple CD. Journeyman Project 3 - 8 CD!!!

The size problem is already affecting Xbox, see FF13 situation.
Phenom II X4 940 3 Ghz / 8 gb RAM 800 / Geforce GTX 460 / win7 64
(04-08-2010, 09:52 AM)tohdom Wrote: d) stick with DVD?! I remember the PC games which came on multiple CD.

Are you saying that the situation is different with blu ray than it was with cds back then in terms of licence, since xbox used a cd drive.
My services are bound.

We are such stuff
is rounded with a sleep.
(04-08-2010, 09:52 AM)tohdom Wrote: Journeyman Project 3 - 8 CD!!!

Whoa, that's seriously nostalgic... Tongue2

(04-08-2010, 10:23 AM)milan Wrote: Are you saying that the situation is different with blu ray than it was with cds back then in terms of licence, since xbox used a cd drive.

Uh, what's the connection between multiple discs with a license?
And Xbox 360 used a DVD drive.
Intel C2D E6550 2.33GHz (OC@2.8GHz)
Corsair CM2X1024 4GB (4x1GB) DDR2 DRAM
ASUS P5K
XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB

Running on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
I just had an impression that tohdom wanted to say that if the next xbox would have a blu-ray drive, it wouldn't be profitable 'cuz Microsoft would have to pay to Sony & the company for using the technology. Thus my question (tho' I forgot to put a question markBiggrin).
My services are bound.

We are such stuff
is rounded with a sleep.
Ah, right. =b

Well, I personally think MS should acquire the Blu-ray license anyway.
Having a newer, more powerful hardware but restricted games storage media like a DVD is like having a PC with an i7 920 with a 2TB harddisk but you can only use a floppy disk and no USB ports.

Since HD-DVD is dead, Microsoft's only alternative is the Blu-ray discs or downloadable games, and I'm not sure many people would want to download a 20+GB game.
ASUS P5K
XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB

It's not nearly future, nowadays game developers just learned how to use PS3 hardware at 40-50% of power. So next generation will be at more than 5 years, maybe be 10. At such periods Blue-Ray will no more No1. disk choice.
Hmm...dunno 'bout that.

DVD did survive for almost 10+ years now, and it'd still linger around for 2~3 more years I think.
If blank BD-R's price won't drop anytime soon, I mean.
ASUS P5K
XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB

yes, ps3 is future-proof, but xbox potential is almost gone. I will not be surprised if microsoft release another console much sooner than Sony.
If Microsoft will use blu-ray - it would be very strong selling point for Sony. "Look, our rival use our technology. We are superior".

Imagine if Apple will release Iphone with the windows mobile 7 running Smile Not big deal from the technical point of view (costumers will have a choice). But reputation and probably sells of regular iphone will be harmed strongly.
Phenom II X4 940 3 Ghz / 8 gb RAM 800 / Geforce GTX 460 / win7 64