Plugin Issues Linux
I have an HP Elitebook 2730p with a Core2Duo L9600 (Penryn series) 2.13ghz processor with 4GB RAM.  I have used previous builds of PCSX2 on this laptop both in Linux and in Windows and had them working relatively well after mucking about with the settings.  I run PCSX2 to give my aging fat-model PS2 a break.  If I didn't know that this laptop could run PCSX2, I'd have given up the ghost a few hours back.

I am currently running Linux Mint KDE 18.1 codename Serena (64-bit). 

Whenever I start up the program, I have to enter the config screen.  I have these two listed in the options:  GSnull Driver 0.1.0 [libGSnull] and GSdx (GCC 5.3.1, SSE2) 1.0.0 [libGSdx-1.0.0].   My output shows that my CPU supports up to SE4.1, so I don't think that's the problem.  

The funny thing is that I used Nautilus to copy all other plugins from Linux versions 0.9.6 and 1.0.0 to the default folder (usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pcsx2).  I used the archived tar.gz from PCSX2's Linux archived versions to pull these from (no worries about 3rd parties).  They show up in the folder and are the proper size, etc.  I don't *think* there's an issue with this end of things. 

I checked into the Intel driver for the integrated graphics card and found out that Serena is built from Ubuntu's 16.04 and Kubuntu packages. Xenial Xerus ships with the newest possible Intel stacks, and I tried adding the versions that were put out before and after the one pre-installed, but neither supports xenial and kicked both GUI and terminal installs from root. 

I should have ZZORG at least showing up as an option, but it's not. It's flagging my lappie with OpenGL errors, which, if I remember right, I bypassed by using a different openGL plugin (which isn't available).

I'm not a complete Linux noob, but I only sorta know what I'm doing here.  I think the issue might be something to do with the shaders, but I don't see any way to really see which shaders have issue.

Any help would be awesome!

Sponsored links

But what is your issue exactly ? PCSX2 1.4 is out. Zzogl is deprecated. And you need a recent Mesa version.
(03-16-2017, 09:20 AM)gregory Wrote: But what is your issue exactly ? PCSX2 1.4 is out. Zzogl is deprecated. And you need a recent Mesa version.

The major issue is that the engine doesn't seem to want to run.  Biggrin And I can't figure out why.  I re-installed Mint and added in the nightly build repository (which had been giving me a 1.4 version for some reason on my previous install when I tried using the unstable build, but it's now giving me a 1.5.0 version.)

I now have 4 GS plugins to choose from, whereas  my previous install only gave me one.  I ran sudo-apt-get update to try to ensure I have the latest versions of Mesa and to iron out any wrinkles caused by having inadequate software versions.  I've tried to check to make sure the dependencies are all installed, and I'm not getting any broken package issues or orphaned dependencies or anything.

When I try to use the BootCD command now, I get the following errors (which I haven't seen before): 
"This CPU does not support AVX1
This CPU does not support AVX2
This CPU does not support BMI1
This CPU does not support BMI2"

Something to do with the SSE instruction set?  

I also get this:  "(PCSX2:6011): WARNING **: Invalid borders specified for theme pixmap:
        /usr/share/themes/Breeze/gtk-2.0/../assets/line-h.png,
borders don't fit within the image"

This seems like a gtk2 error from what I'm finding?

When I checked my mesa version through the grep command, I get this output:
"OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 12.0.6"

I think that's supposed to be 3.3 to run OpenGL in PCSX2, right? 

I've been toggling between everything and trying to configure properly, but I'm unsure if I'm doing something wrong...I'd like to know if this is fixable or not (or if the modern versions will not run and the pcsx2 ship has sailed) and where to start making this work.

I thank you for your time and any guidance you can offer, because I am stuck.
Oh.

Quote:When I try to use the BootCD command now, I get the following errors (which I haven't seen before):
"This CPU does not support AVX1
This CPU does not support AVX2
This CPU does not support BMI1
This CPU does not support BMI2"
Yes, you can't select an AVX optimized plugin because your CPU doesn't support it. AVX is like SSE but with faster operation.

Quote:When I checked my mesa version through the grep command, I get this output:
"OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 12.0.6"

I think that's supposed to be 3.3 to run OpenGL in PCSX2, right?
Quote:I have an HP Elitebook 2730p with a Core2Duo L9600 (Penryn series) 2.13ghz processor with 4GB RAM.
I guess you're using the integrated "GPU". Yes you need 3.3. OpenGL3 was released in 2008 ! I'm sorry but you need to upgrade your laptop. So yes, you might find old GS plugin that might output something. But it will come with various bug and limitation and we don't support it.
It's so weird that it doesn't support OpenGL3! This CPU was released in early 2009 with distribution common up to early 2011, so I'm feeling that Intel had a little tomfoolery going on in their R&D department. Tongue

I'll see what I can do to get it to work on my own by trying to shoehorn in older plugins and modding them however I can, but if it doesn't, then I know that this CPU just doesn't have the go-juice (might tackle it again after learning more about coding, though, because I'm a masochist and learn more by breaking things and trying to fix them than anything else).

I can't really upgrade the GPU, unfortunately, because this is a minuscule machine that was poorly designed for venting heat and has almost no extra space to work with. That issue is why I moved it to Linux in the first place, so that it wouldn't have as much pull on system resources.

Thank you, Monsieur Gregory, for the information. I am assuming that you are the Gregory referred to in the PPA? If so, thanks also for your work on this emulator. Despite my current issues with my system specs, PCSX2 is a marvelous tool and is a wonderful piece of programming.
Yes I'm the Gregory that you can see everywhere Smile

On windows, you will get DX9 support. But I'm afraid that on Linux your machine is only good for paperwork.