Point of Scaling?
I was just wondering what is the point of scaling(rather than custom res) when its optimum to use your monitor's or TV's exact resolution(or lesser 16:9/16:10 resolutions). As it "fits" better. (And also can put in 4:3 resolutions if you want).

Dosen't scaling just give you awkward resolutions that are not suited to normal computer monitors and TVs since its just multiplying native?

Just curious since some people on this forum who know their computer stuff far better than I do seem to use scaling. o.O
<REDACTED>

Sponsored links

The purpose is really simple...some games don't like resolution that is not native multiplied by whole digit(2,3,4)and using such resolution can give you bad results(horizontal lines and so on)

The scaling just saves you the work of looking what is the native resolution of the game and then multiply it with calculator

The D3D Resolution have nothing to do with what resolution you are using for your monitor...if you are using monitor that look good only on 640x480 for example,will you still use 640x480 for d3d resolution knowing that this will give you bad graphic quality?

...At least that's how I understand the purpose of that option
(09-01-2011, 06:39 PM)vsub Wrote: The D3D Resolution have nothing to do with what resolution you are using for your monitor...if you are using monitor that look good only on 640x480 for example,will you still use 640x480 as d3d resolution knowing that this will give you bad graphic quality?

But if 640x480 was your monitor's max res (Not the greatest monitorRolleyes ) then setting the D3D resolution of the emulator to anything higher would be meaningless since even if you told it to output 1920x1080 the monitor can only show a max of 640x480.? Or is my belief in how monitors work a fail Tongue.
<REDACTED>
Not quite; because the internal resolution is filtered down to the output resolution, you'd get a sort of pseudo-AA effect by having internal res bigger than output res.
Ok here is an example...my monitor can't display resolution higher than 1600x1200 but setting GSdx on 2048x1776(4x native on Dragon Quest 5)works just fine.

The D3D resolution does not change the desktop resolution when you go full screen
Fezzer, scaling is not the same as the external resolution. PS2 render in some strange values. What the Internal resolution does is increase the number of dots, doing so it need to calculate those dots properties so they blend softly. Sometimes it does not go very well and artifacts occurs, lines may appear and so on.

Now you right about the native resolution is better for your monitor, just go for it but this is done in the screen output "Custom Window Size".
That setting can have an impact when going fullscreen mode.

PS: complementing Vsub said > the scaling acts is a way like some AA methods, reducing the image showing serrated and increasing the general smoothness.
Imagination is where we are truly real
Yeah I did notice that pseudo-AA effect when I used to muck around with Pcsx2 on my old 1440x900 monitor. Alright well I guess it makes sense if it filters down and if some graphically break with custom res.

I must just be lucky the games I have don't have that problem.

Thanks for the explanation Laugh +rep
<REDACTED>