Poor Performance when rendering particles?
I think if you named the thread differently you might actually have gotten an answer from one of the devs.

(01-01-2015, 11:42 PM)JMC47 Wrote: (assuming the PS2 does framebuffer stuff?)

Yes, I think the ps2 was designed especially for that kind of stuff in mind. Compared to the gamecube it actually has more than 6x frame buffer bandwidth, and ~4x the fill rate.

Sponsored links

Ah, okay. I don't know the PS2 side of things that well. Point is: Emulating tons of little particles can be a lot harder than high polygon models even if the high polygon models have a magnitude more of total polygons.
Particles are a pain for the graphics cards, be it on GSDX or PC games or whatever Smile
Imagination is where we are truly real
(01-02-2015, 07:23 AM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: Particles are a pain for the graphics cards, be it on GSDX or PC games or whatever Smile

you don't understand this only really visible in PCSX2.

(01-02-2015, 03:17 AM)dogen Wrote: I think if you named the thread differently you might actually have gotten an answer from one of the devs.

sorry, edited.
(01-02-2015, 04:22 PM)Serial Hacker Wrote: you don't understand this only really visible in PCSX2.

I don't know how gsdx works, but emulating how the ps2 draws stuff is going to add overhead no matter what. Also remember that the ps2 has a lot of vram bandwidth and fill rate for the resolution games usually ran at. If a game really pushes the hardware to the limit(like god of war 2 probably does) and you're running it at 2 or 3 times the resolution, you're looking at some pretty high requirements to keep the game running smooth.
This has always been a problem with the emulator especially with fire. Fire needs an insane amount of power to not cause slowdowns. Even on my system I had games slowdown so much cause of fire or smoke even on software mode. I know I don't have the best system here but Its damn good for the emulator though.
I5 3570k 3.4ghz| 4GB R9 290| 8GB DDR3
nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: Particles are a pain for the graphics cards, be it on GSDX or PC games or whatever Smile

Quote:you don't understand this only really visible in PCSX2.

You may not have noticed how particles are hard on the machines, the emulator just is working at the limit already and so, yes, may be easier to notice the performance hit.

Anyway, let's not argue over this.
Imagination is where we are truly real
lets argue over this!!!

I have white particles in my browser falling down. They spoil my pcsx2 experience!
lol completely true Tongue2
[Insert Witty Sig Here.]
(01-03-2015, 03:43 AM)willkuer Wrote: lets argue over this!!!

I have white particles in my browser falling down. They spoil my pcsx2 experience!
you could disable them in the usercp.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction