Poor framerate w/ Shadow of the Colossus
First off, I don't know the forum etiquette. Am I supposed to bump the old Shadow of the Colossus topic or can I start a new one? Or are there stickied topics for games somewhere? So, I apologize if I'm breaking the rules.

I'm stuck at 50 fps w/Shadow of the Colossus. I'll tell you the settings I started with (which, as far as I remember, since I've messed around so much, yielded 30 fps). These are the settings I play FF XII on at 60 fps.

EE/IOP
EmotionEngine and IOP: Recompiler
EEFPU:
Round Mode: Chop/Zero
Clamping: None
Flush to Zero; Denormals are Zero

VUs

VU0/1: microVU
The rest same as above

GS
Frame limiter at default.
Frame skipper I couldn't really figure out so I put:
Skip on Turbo
2 Frames to Draw, 4 Frames to Skip

Speed Hacks
Before I had EE Cyclerate and VU cyclestealing on 0. Now they are on 3 and 2 respectively.

INTC Spin Enabled
Wait Loop Detection Enabled
mVU flag Hack
mVU block Hack

GSDx
D3D11 Hardware
Before I had native resolution checked. Now: 420x420
Alpha Hack
Offset Hack

SPU-2

Interpolation - 0

In FF XII you have to have effects on, here I turned them off.

Sorry for the long settings post. So basically, with a lot of the settings, they didnt really change anything. I stayed at 50 fps. So am I done? Should I give up?

I have a mid to low range laptop but somehow it plays most new games on medium and FF XII the first game I played works fine.

Specs

Core i5 2.4 GHZ 64 Bit
6 GB Ram
Radeon 5470 1GB RAM

EDIT:

Turning off Alpha and Off Set Hacks did nothing. Switching res to native did nothing. However, turning off both cycle rate speed hacks dropped the fps to 40 or under, depending on what other settings were going. Also, if it matters at all, FF X runs beautifully with my original settings as well.

Sponsored links

2.4Ghz simply won't do for this very demanding game. Overclock your CPU to around 3Ghz. Should help Smile

Edit:
If it's this CPU then you're already at around 3Ghz when playing (provided Intel's turbo feature works).
You prolly use a notebook as well, so any further overclocking would be a bad idea.
Best you wait a bit then for this game to eventually get faster in PCSX2 :/
Yeah I'm on a laptop. Really? This game is so hardcore that I can't do it with an i5? Yeah theres no way for me to overlock safely cept for that software can't remember the name and thats a risk too. Thats a shame. But I still a lot of games I can play right? I'm going to play FF X but I hope can play MGS 2 and DMC...Time will tell. There are so few PC games and my not backwards compatible ps3 was stolen Sad

EDIT: It took me a second to realize that was a link. Unfortunately I have a 400 series but the site says that it has the turbo feature and the max turbo clockspeed is 2.8. W/e, it clearly doesn't make a difference.
(10-17-2010, 09:49 PM)velcrobandits Wrote: Yeah theres no way for me to overlock safely cept for that software can't remember the name and thats a risk too.
Is SetFSB the software you're thinking of? As far as overclocking goes using that is fairly safe as it only lets you alter frequencies and not voltages.

You might also get a small FPS boost by enabling progressive scan in the in-game options. I've no idea why but it seemed to increase my FPS by a few percent.
Specs in Profile
So I might just be an idiot. The game gives you the option of choosing a PAL or NTSC display right. I always chose PAL for the hell of it, cuz the FPS for PAL is set in the config. And I knew that the fps is 50 right. But the game looked sluggish and horrible, so I figured ok the game itself is NTSC, so any option in-game doesn't make a difference. So now, I chose NTSC in-game, and the game is now running at 60 fps. But its still looks really slow and just bad. So...does Shadow start out in slow motion?? So far I've played DMC 3 and two FF games w/o a prob...I guess I'll keep going and see.

EDIT: Being on the horse looks good. But most actions I do with the guy, in any other game, would indicate an epic fail. The sword swing looks sort of ok but the jump is horrible in terms of speed and overall feel, if you know what I mean.
Are you getting full FPS in the game?
If not you can try speedhacks, shadow of the colossus runs well enough with VU cycle stealing set to slight/mild or moderate but not higher and better not to be used along the EE cyclerate speedhack or you can get false FPS reading showing what you described as slow motion.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Sorry I read my old post and I was completely inarticulate. Im gunna put all my incredulity and surprise aside and just state facts:

I loaded the game and in-game chose PAL output. The game ran at 50 FPS but it looked very sluggish, so I assumed that it should be running at 60 fps. I assumed that, being an NTSC iso, choosing an option in-game should have no effect on an emulator.

After 5 tries, giving up and coming back, I chose NTSC in game. This time, the game ran at 60 fps, but again I experienced the same effects. A lot of things are really slow. It looks exactly like other games that run under 60 fps. Like, the jumps take forever, it seems he almost pauses mid-slash. The controls are a bit non-responsive. But the game is at 60 fps consistently. So I'm wondering if the game just acts like this at the beginning, cuz I keep skipping the cutscenes. Maybe its a memory or hes dazed...dunno

EDIT: Damn its the end of the day and I'm really tired. Yeah I have a bunch of speed hacks on in a really configuration that I like. Hasn't compromised any quality, don't even know if its necessary but i read the guide before even playing and a good balance.

I totally overlooked your recommendation I have no idea why I just read past it. I had both cyclerate hacks on for this game (I usually don't) because I was struggling. So I turned off EE and set VU. My fps dropped to 40 right away. Then I set VU all the way and I'm back up to 60. Does VU by itself report false fps?
Yes, VU cycle steal will cause problems like that in this game.
The game maxes the PS2 hardware so you really would need a fast enough CPU
to manage full speed without the cycle hacks. Even my 4.2Ghz CPU doesn't do that.
Im insane about checking performance...as I go on about in another thread but it looks like with all speed hacks on, if I leave the temple and actually go play, the game runs fine. However, because I'm ocd, I'll never actually play the game, because not knowing whether or not the game is actually running at exactly 60 fps will bother me even if the gameplay feels alright.
(10-19-2010, 10:18 PM)velcrobandits Wrote: Im insane about checking performance...as I go on about in another thread but it looks like with all speed hacks on, if I leave the temple and actually go play, the game runs fine. However, because I'm ocd, I'll never actually play the game, because not knowing whether or not the game is actually running at exactly 60 fps will bother me even if the gameplay feels alright.

If it's any consolation it often fell short on real hardware. See this video: http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/shadow-o...e-analysis
Specs in Profile