Possible fix for mip mapping in hardware mode
While looking for FOV hacks I came across something rather interesting about the way in which hardware mip-mapping is influenced in ratchet gladiator and tried to use it in conjunction with the zoom function and this is the result.

Default FOV

Increased FOV

It works very well with textures in close vicinity but doesn't have a huge impact on far away textures, plus i tried using it with another FOV hack to bring the camera to its original spot without affecting mip maps but unfortunately it didn't help at all.

Also something interesting is that with the other FOV hack everything outside the normal FOV has normal textures.

Sponsored links

So, what's the point you're trying to make ?
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(03-16-2015, 01:05 PM)ssakash Wrote: So, what's the point you're trying to make ?

I just thought it was something worth mentioning considering it may be a workaround for the annoying texture problems hardware mode suffers from and thankfully it doesn't impact on speed even when it is loading more geometry.

And yes i do realize i made the post seem like it had little significance so i do apologize.
(03-16-2015, 01:09 PM)POWEROFUNITY Wrote: I just thought it was something worth mentioning considering it may be a workaround for the annoying texture problems hardware mode suffers from and thankfully it doesn't impact on speed even when it is loading more geometry.
does this also work on other games which have mip-mapping issues ? (or) is this only applicable for this specific game.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(03-16-2015, 01:15 PM)ssakash Wrote: does this also work on other games which have mip-mapping issues ? (or) is this only applicable for this specific game.

It probably would but finding FOV hacks is game specific and may yield different resultsBiggrin
Ok, so you zoomed out so all displayed texture are the highst number level mipmap -and the worse level- and just rendered a small region. Could you do the opposite to have the 0-level mipmap -and best level-, by zooming in and rendering a bigger size than the camera, or you can only render the region that the camera sees?

Also, did this improve performance?
I think mipmapping will be implemented long before this is even considered a viable solution for the lack thereof
(03-16-2015, 03:25 PM)K.F Wrote: Ok, so you zoomed out so all displayed texture are the highst number level mipmap -and the worse level- and just rendered a small region. Could you do the opposite to have the 0-level mipmap -and best level-, by zooming in and rendering a bigger size than the camera, or you can only render the region that the camera sees?

Also, did this improve performance?

I actually did try zooming in instead whigh makes it look even more garbled at close range but another thing I did try was using both FOV hacks simultaneously to bring the camera back to its default position while keeping those textures and the draw distance of objects was reduced and software mode got a huge speed increase from ~ 35-50
well okay. i dunno how you got a boost out of it. sure you forced the mignification, probably skipping the force to calculate the trilinear blend with the larger maps. does the ps2 trilinear? or atleast the sampling on the mip edges there. but... if you play like that and move the camera forward you have quake. weird projection. weird look. i'd not play like that for long. and essentially you might get right there again where the rasterizer has to calculate and sample the migni and magnificated samples again. on borderline slant surfaces this might always happen. aniso is heavier tho. but... that's how that does it.

but... nice trick. Smile
(03-16-2015, 11:00 PM)dabore Wrote: well okay. i dunno how you got a boost out of it. sure you forced the mignification, probably skipping the force to calculate the trilinear blend with the larger maps. does the ps2 trilinear? or atleast the sampling on the mip edges there. but... if you play like that and move the camera forward you have quake. weird projection. weird look. i'd not play like that for long. and essentially you might get right there again where the rasterizer has to calculate and sample the migni and magnificated samples again. on borderline slant surfaces this might always happen. aniso is heavier tho. but... that's how that does it.

but... nice trick. Smile

If there was a way to zoom in on ratchet without affecting textures then this would be some form of alternative, at least for this game and the frame boost was from the narrow draw distance.