User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Potentially insufficient PSU ... Help needed ...
Omnimaxus Offline

Potentially insufficient PSU ... Help needed ...
Merry Christmas, everyone. I've got an issue here. I have a Cooler Master 500 watt PSU, but I'm concerned that it may not be enough to power my computer setup (AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition CPU and a Palit NVIDIA Geforce 460 videocard with 1 GB of VRAM). I'd just upgraded from a 350 watt PSU that'd previously provided juice to a Radeon HD 4670 (which has very low power consumption) and an AMD Phenom II X4 810 CPU (both the videocard and older Phenom were replaced by the NVIDIA card and the newer Phenom).

Problem is, when the computer is handling specific games within PCSX2 that carry a heavy load (for both the processor and videocard) like Metal Gear Solid 3, I'll see flashing on the screen and have also witnessed a couple of brief pauses while playing games (this does not happen during normal usage, and also didn't happen when I tried running 3DMark 06). I suspect that it may be the power supply, because I'd also tried out a 460 watt power supply before installing the new Phenom (and didn't have any problems), but now that I've got both the new Phenom and videocard in my case at the same time, it might be that both new components are proving to be a bit much for the 500 watt PSU.

I'm thinking that a quality 650 watt PSU should do the trick. Recommendations? Thanks.
12-25-2010 03:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Sponsored links

jmuuss Offline

RE: Potentially insufficient PSU ... Help needed ...
Does sound like a PSU issue, or maybe even a bad overclock. I have a corsair 650w in my system which powers everything nicely. Smile

[Image: necok0.jpg]
Specs:
i3-530 @ 4.3 ghz
GTX 470 OC 725/1450/1875
6 GB DDR3 RAM
12-25-2010 07:09 PM
Omnimaxus Offline

I'm inclined to agree. Will go out to the local Microcenter tomorrow and get a replacement PSU (650 or 750 watts). Will exchange the current PSU while I'm at it, too. Will go for more of a "quality" one this time. Thanks.
12-25-2010 09:31 PM
kickstand Offline
Stemulated

(12-25-2010 09:31 PM)Omnimaxus Wrote:  I'm inclined to agree. Will go out to the local Microcenter tomorrow and get a replacement PSU (650 or 750 watts). Will exchange the current PSU while I'm at it, too. Will go for more of a "quality" one this time. Thanks.

You should check and recheck your vid card seating in the slot. Also check your vid card drivers to make sure they are up to date. You will also want to check the fan on the vid card to make sure it is working as it sounds like it could be overheating. This sounds like a vid card issue to me not a power supply.

I am running an AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition cpu with a Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5750 on an Asus m4a79xtd evo mobo with a Corsair 650w power supply and it's rock solid. I highly recommend the Corsair 650w power supply model TX650W eventhough I think you have a vid card issue on your hands. Happy holidays.
(This post was last modified: 12-25-2010 10:33 PM by kickstand.)
12-25-2010 10:14 PM
Omnimaxus Offline

Thanks. I went and did a little more research, and found this:

http://www.guru3d.com/news/palit-geforce...e-issues-/

Guess it could be either the video card only or a combination of both the card and PSU. Doesn't matter, since I plan on taking both back and seeing about doing an exchange. Might be that I'll get a higher-wattage PSU and another Palit Geforce GTX 460 card (just to be on the safe side), and update that card's firmware if necessary.

That should do the trick.
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2010 12:33 AM by Omnimaxus.)
12-26-2010 12:25 AM
kickstand Offline
Stemulated

(12-26-2010 12:25 AM)Omnimaxus Wrote:  Thanks. I went and did a little more research, and found this:

http://www.guru3d.com/news/palit-geforce...e-issues-/

Guess it could be either the video card only or a combination of both the card and PSU. Doesn't matter, since I plan on taking both back and seeing about doing an exchange. Might be that I'll get a higher-wattage PSU and another Palit Geforce GTX 460 card (just to be on the safe side), and update that card's firmware if necessary.

That should do the trick.

Something else you can try in the meantime is find some software to monitor the vid card temp. After looking at the link you posted i'd say there is a definite possibility of overheating. Let me know what you find out...
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2010 12:48 AM by kickstand.)
12-26-2010 12:44 AM
Omnimaxus Offline

Brief update: Downloaded the VGA BIOS update available from Palit's website, and after installation, I tried playing Metal Gear Solid 3 again. Not long after I started playing did the flashing problem emerge again. At this point, I suspect it's mainly a PSU issue. I guess the CPU (and GPU) are put under a significant load of wattage when trying to emulate PCSX2, so of course the 500-watt PSU I have in my case right now isn't providing enough juice. Off it goes to the store tomorrow in exchange for another PSU ... I also should add that as I was playing the game this time around, the graphics were a little choppy (but not noticeably so). Interesting ...
12-26-2010 03:51 AM
ilovejedd Offline

Actually, assuming what you have is a Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus, the PSU is only good for 400W (and probably quite a bit less than that for long term use).
12-26-2010 04:29 AM
Omnimaxus Offline

Interesting update: I installed my old Radeon HD 4670 card just to do a little troubleshooting. Much to my surprise, the same thing happened. And this time, I know it's not the card (the HD 4670, that is), because this is a solid card and has never given me any problems before. Given that the same phenomenon of rainbow-like flashing colors occurred with this card with the same PSU inside my case (and yes, ilovejedd, it's a Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus PSU), I have no other conclusion to reach except that it's the PSU. Still, just to be safe (and like I said earlier), I'll return the card, too, and exchange it for an identical card, as well as get a new (and quality) PSU.
12-26-2010 04:35 AM
rama Offline
PCSX2 coder

I know my opinion differs a lot from everybody else's in this thread but yea:
I'm sure a brand 500W PSU is plenty enough for your setup.
The fact that you can run 3D mark without getting similar issues shows that.
(In PCSX2 you usually don't max out CPU load and the GPU is usually even less loaded.)
(We often need to wait for tasks in PCSX2 in which we sleep the CPU, hence it stays cool.)

My guess therefore is that you have an issue with either RAM, mainboard or CPU.
Is your machine overclocked?

Edit:
See GURU3d Wink
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-460-review/13
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2010 08:50 PM by rama.)
12-26-2010 08:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Current time: 11-01-2014, 12:43 PM