Power Supply Overload
Hi all,

This is my first post here, I couldn't find anything about this, so anyway:
I downloaded the latest beta to play FFX, and everything was perfect, but then my system abruptly powered off, as if the power cable was pulled out. It didn't turn back on after that - I knew it was because the power supply was fried, likely due to the demands placed on my processor, despite the fact that I have a pretty decent machine. Anyway, it has been replaced,and my system is running fine again.

What I'm wondering is, has anyone using this had it happen to them before? I'm 99% certain it was because of PCSX2, since nothing of the sort has ever happened before, and I was playing it at the time.
Also, if PCSX2 is the cause, would you say that I shouldn't chance it again? Thanks!

My specs, just in case:

XP SP3
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850, 3Ghz
2gb of DDR2 800 Memory
ATI Radeon HD3650 512mb

Sponsored links

if i not mistaken it could be the CPU temperature better check-up your CPU temp using
Core Temp.
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

i'm also experinced that even my laptop has intentionally power off when my cpu is frying.
Main PC1:i5-4670,HD7770(Active!)
Main PC2:i5-11600K,GTX1660Ti(Active!)
PCSX2 Discord server IGN:smartstrike
PCSX2 version uses:Custom compiled buildĀ 1.7.0 64-bit(to be update regularly)
smartstk's YouTube Channel
It taxes the GPU card too...Modern GPUs suck up too much power anyways. Bound to happen also if you have a generic PSU or and almost-dying one. It might have overloaded the 12v line.
Intel C2D E7500 2.940 ghz
MSI P45 Neo
MSI R5770 1GB
WD Caviar SE16 640GB
Seagate 320GB Barracuda 7200.10
2GB Kingston Value ram
Windows XP SP3/Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit Dual Boot
My old PSU was a Corsair VX550W, and my new one is a TX650W.
PCSX2 can't kill your PSU any more than any other software or game can.
If PCSX2 can kill it, you have a underclassed PSU and it would die sooner or later by the hand of any game.
True, PCSX2 is hardware intensive, but mainly it is your own fault for getting a PSU that can't feed your system well enough.
CPU : Intel i7-2600K
GPU : nVidia Geforce GTX 970
RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengance DDR3
PCSX2 : Constantly changing.
These days pcsx2 doesn't even produce that much heat anymore.
The same thing would've happened had you played a pc game, I'm sure.
My answer is split in 2 parts:

1. If the PSU is indeed to blame, then that means it was an old cheap broken PSU. With a proper PSU it should not have happened under any load. PSU can not be damaged by any software, and should be able to power your system under any software configuration. pcsx2 DOES use a lot more power, because it taxes the GPU AND the CPU AND RAM of the system. It simply showed you a weakness of your system, consider it as an MOT test for a car... Its there to save your life, and should be thanked for showing you that your brake fluid is leaking.

2. If it was due to the CPU powering down the system, then the PSU has nothing to do with it. And it should not have been due to the CPU, because if the CPU initiated power-down happens, then the system should continue working when you repower it back on.
i7 @ 3.2Ghz /w Noctua
6GB Dominator 1600Mhz
5770 Vapor-X
1.5 TB Raid 5 /w 3ware 9650SE

It can also be a good PSU that may have gone defective. Looking at the PSU that he did have, it should have been more than enough to power that hardware. His old PSU also had an 80 Plus Certification. Corsair is a pretty reliable brand, but you get what you pay for. I have an Antec True Power Quattro 850 and that sucker has gone through everything and anything. But it also had a hefty price of $160 when I bought it. So it better be able to give the juice my baby needs. It does not hurt to say though that my rig requires more power than his machine.

When you look for a PSU, it's a good idea to pick one with the 80 Plus Certification on it. It will have 80%+ efficiency on power output. (For the most part.) If a PSU is not efficient, then a 550W psu can be pumping out around 300-500W of power. Which for some machines, may not be enough to power all components on full load. (Thus cause instability, restarts, and none other than shutdowns.) PSU's also lose Max power output overtime as they age. All the more reason to get a higher quality PSU.
Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro Retina 15' | Intel Core i7-4850HQ @ 2.3-3.5Ghz | Optimus Powered nVidia Geforce GT 750M (2GB GDDR5) + Intel Iris Pro Graphics | 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Intel HD Audio | Apple Magic Trackpad | Samsung 512GB PCI-E Based SSD |
That PSU should have been enough to power those low-mid end parts without problems, so you either had a dud PSU (quite rare in Corsair cases) or it wasn't a problem with the PSU and was probably some overheating issue or other.
[Image: yunacopy.jpg]
Did you make sure to completely cut power to the power supply and motherboard and then rehooking it up and trying again? A lot of motherboards have safety features that prevent you from turning a computer back on in such a case without that kind of hard "reset" of the hardware...
[Image: 2748844.png]