Problem with FFX
Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster.

First of all, I'd like to commend the developers of this brilliant program. I've had almost as much fun learning about how this all works as I have playing the games on my PC.

This is the first real issue that I haven't been able to correct via reading previous posts and fiddling around with the settings.

In FFX, I am at the point where the crusaders and Al-bed lure and attack sin. After defeating the Sinspawn thing twice, Tidus is on the beach where he talks to Gatta who is currently having a mental break down. This is where the problems occur. All the other cinematics so far have had no problems, but when the cut-scene that occurs after speaking to Gatta tries to play, the frame rate drops to 3fps and after a minute crashes PCSX2 entirely.

So, to get a few things out of the way:

I am running Windows XP and DirectX9.
I am running the patch for FFX.
I am running the newest version of GSDX9.
I am running (what I believe to be) the newest version of PCSX2 (0.9.6)
I have a Dual Core AMD Athlon 64, 2.81 GHz with 2 Gigs of Ram, and MTGS is enabled.

Any help on this would be much appreciated. ^^

Thanks ahead of time,

-JC

EDIT** -- gave another try at finding similar problems and found this!

http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-10974.html?highlight=FFX

It seems I should download the beta? (have been using mem-card to save instead of save states)

Sponsored links

Use the latest public beta version (r1888) of PCSX2. It fixes most problems in FFX.
[Image: yunacopy.jpg]
Thanks, I'll do that and update with what happens. ^_^

-JC
Sorry about double posting, but it seems that using the beta did nothing to fix the problem. It still froze up and crashed during the same cinematic. Any other ideas?

-JC
Does anything show in the pcsx2 console window when the hang happens? tried other video/sound plugins? what is your current settings?
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Does anything show in the pcsx2 console window when the hang happens?

- not on the 0.9.6 version but with the r1888 beta the windowed screen stayed up and "copied" the image of any window i opened or moved over it... I had to close the PS2 Output window to close the program, but it was effectively the same thing. The hang happened approx 1 or 2 secs into the cutscene.

tried other video/sound plugins?

- I normally use GSDX, but i tried the ZeroGS though only on the 0.9.6 version. Ive only used the GSDX plugin with the beta. I havn't tried switching out the sound plugins.

what is your current settings?

-GSDX9 (SSE2), Direct3D9 (hardware) (tried software too), Logarithmic Z, alpha correction and 8-bit textures are checked. using 800x600 resolution just to make things easier for the windowed mode but had it at 1024x786 with the same result

MicroVUO and VU1 are enabled. MTGS is enabled, Frame Limiting set to "limit" ((EDIT** forgot to mention EERec, VU0/1Rec are enabled as well))

SPU2-X 1.2.0 sound plugin, set to linear and Xaudio 2
Advanced settings? speedhacks? are you currently playing the game from ISo or disc I'd try playing from the disc or making a ISO of it if you're already playing from the disc.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Default settings for everything in "Advanced", no speed hacks.

playing off of the actual disc that I have, I'll try making an ISO of it.... though I have to leave the house right now so I'll be back on tomorrow or later tonight with my results.

Thanks a lot, btw. ^^

-JC
Yeah, make an iso image. At that particular place, even on my PS2, I remember seeing it freeze on a white screen before. Using PCSX2 and an iso image, I think the cinematic had a bit of glitching, but it got through it with the latest beta. Also try running in native resolution and see if that helps.
[Image: yunacopy.jpg]
Yep Yep, Making an ISO did the trick! I'm getting a much more stable FPS now too. Thanks a lot everyone. And just for the people that are having this issue and need an ISO ripper, the one at http://www.lucersoft.com/freeware.php did just fine.

Thanks again Boogerthe2nd and Shadow Lady! ^_^

-JC