Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem with charging DS3 controller on a laptop
Hi...
I used to be able to charge my DS3 controllers with my laptop and now for some strange reasons, I can't do it. The light won't even turn on.

Using the same cable (the official one that I got from Sony) I can still charge my controller just fine if I plug it to my PS3 console. So... I guess the cable is fine? I tested the controller as well.... still as good as new Smile

Is there a setting that I accidentally changed perhaps in relationship to the power supplied to each USB ports on my laptop? I can still charge my Sony Xperia phone though.... even external hard drives work ok.

So I'm a bit lost.... can anyone help?
cpu: i5-2410m | gpu: Nvidia GT 555m 2GB | mem: 4 GB

Sponsored links

(01-28-2013, 10:16 AM)strider3871 Wrote: Hi...
I used to be able to charge my DS3 controllers with my laptop and now for some strange reasons, I can't do it. The light won't even turn on.

Using the same cable (the official one that I got from Sony) I can still charge my controller just fine if I plug it to my PS3 console. So... I guess the cable is fine? I tested the controller as well.... still as good as new Smile

Is there a setting that I accidentally changed perhaps in relationship to the power supplied to each USB ports on my laptop? I can still charge my Sony Xperia phone though.... even external hard drives work ok.

So I'm a bit lost.... can anyone help?

Most newer motherboards do have a setting for the USB amps or "fast charge" for usb devices. The other possibility is that the controller is already at peak voltage and can't draw any more. You don't connect through bluetooth do you?
(01-28-2013, 11:34 PM)neo3d Wrote: Most newer motherboards do have a setting for the USB amps or "fast charge" for usb devices. The other possibility is that the controller is already at peak voltage and can't draw any more. You don't connect through bluetooth do you?

Unfortunately no Sad my laptop doesn't have a built-in bluetooth module.
(01-29-2013, 02:53 AM)strider3871 Wrote: Unfortunately no Sad my laptop doesn't have a built-in bluetooth module.

I would say it's probably just fine then. Pair it back to your PS3 and see if it's good to go. Check your software for your motherboard settings on your computer and see if there is a fast charge option if you are that worried about it.
(01-29-2013, 09:41 PM)neo3d Wrote: I would say it's probably just fine then. Pair it back to your PS3 and see if it's good to go. Check your software for your motherboard settings on your computer and see if there is a fast charge option if you are that worried about it.

Yea that's what I did Tongue2 no sweat. Thanks, buddy.