Problems Ripping Xenosaga Ep 1 ISO
I have my own copy of the game naturally and have tried ripping an ISO with IMGburn, the ISO was created succesfully, however when trying to run it with the internal ISO loader the game will not go past the PS2 logo stopping at the bottom of the screen. The console reads "Cannot read Layer 2, skipping" over and over and over again until I am forced to close it.

When I open it with the gigaherz plugin it opens the game but when I open new game instead of showing me the FMV I am stuck with an empty radar mpa with a red arrow in the lower right corner as if it were in game, but a completely black screen. I can pause and I get the pause screen, but nothing else.

When trying the LinuzISO plugin the console is stuck on searching for layer 1 and does nothing else. I have waited for over 15 minutes to see if it was just taking awhile like the interal iso reader did but to no avail.

I am using version R3778 If any other info is needed please let me know.

Sponsored links

Dual layer is a bit of a pain, however gigaherz plugin will probably serve you best. If FMV's are sticking, go in to the emulator options, then the game fixes tab, enable them and tick the "skip mpeg hack" box, that should hopefully skip the fmv's, avoiding the problem.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Hm it does sound like a layer break problem (the radar only showing is after the FMV so it's not videos). Using the latest imgburn version and "Create image file from disc" should work great, given you are saving the image in an HDD partition that is NTFS (since the file is over 4 GB it will not work in FAT32 partitions). I'm testing it here and the internal ISO loader reads it fine. If all else fails, try using Linuz ISO as plugin and load the ISO from that (after selecting "Plugin" in the CDVD menu)
[Image: newsig.jpg]
From what I understand Xenosaga is a special case. It's got hidden files and you really need to know what you're doing to back it up right. Personally I gave up and took the easy way out, game works perfectly in PCSX2 Smile
Thanks a lot guys, I'll give it another go and see what happens. I figured what Bositman was saying was what was wrong, just wanted to confirm and see what could be done to fix it.
(11-15-2010, 09:07 PM)Llwenyn Wrote: Thanks a lot guys, I'll give it another go and see what happens. I figured what Bositman was saying was what was wrong, just wanted to confirm and see what could be done to fix it.

Well, I tried ripping the ISO with the newest version of IMG burn, results are as follows

Internal ISO loader still gives a repeat of "Cannot Read Layer 2....Ignoring"

Gigaherz now gives "GIFTAG error, size exceeded VU memory size 3ff" and loads straight to bios.

LinuzISO once again does not get past searching for layer 1.

FYI I am using Windows 7 64 bit and have gotten other game rips to work before if that makes a difference.
(11-15-2010, 10:11 PM)Llwenyn Wrote:
(11-15-2010, 09:07 PM)Llwenyn Wrote: Thanks a lot guys, I'll give it another go and see what happens. I figured what Bositman was saying was what was wrong, just wanted to confirm and see what could be done to fix it.

Well, I tried ripping the ISO with the newest version of IMG burn, results are as follows

Gigaherz now gives "GIFTAG error, size exceeded VU memory size 3ff" and loads straight to bios.

FYI I am using Windows 7 64 bit and have gotten other game rips to work before if that makes a difference.

How long did you wait for? I had a similar problem with my MGS2S rip the other day and found out you have to wait 5+ minutes for it for find the layer break. Then it creates a cache so you don't have to wait the next time (unless you move or change the folder name)

(11-15-2010, 10:24 PM)synce Wrote:
(11-15-2010, 10:11 PM)Llwenyn Wrote: Well, I tried ripping the ISO with the newest version of IMG burn, results are as follows

How long did you wait for? I had a similar problem with my MGS2S rip the other day and found out you have to wait 5+ minutes for it for find the layer break. Then it creates a cache so you don't have to wait the next time (unless you move or change the folder name)

I'm pretty sure I waited close to 10 minutes but I will try it one more time tonight before I give up.
(11-16-2010, 04:14 AM)Llwenyn Wrote:
(11-15-2010, 10:24 PM)synce Wrote: How long did you wait for? I had a similar problem with my MGS2S rip the other day and found out you have to wait 5+ minutes for it for find the layer break. Then it creates a cache so you don't have to wait the next time (unless you move or change the folder name)

I'm pretty sure I waited close to 10 minutes but I will try it one more time tonight before I give up.

Alright well you were right, I didn't wait long enough for LinuzISO, but it does the same thing that the gigaherz plugin did with the first ISO I created

I start a new game, it opens up a black screen with the radar in the lower left corner, lets me bring up the menu with most options grayed out and no characters to the left, and lets me pause it and soft reset it to go back to the opening menu, but no opening FMV. So I guess I'll have to look into other solutions, if you guys think of anything reply back, I'll check periodically. Thank you for anything you can offer.
Ok, well this will be my final bump on this, these are my results and everything I've tried thus far. I hope there is something else I can try otherwise I'm stuck with not playing the game on this EMU or doing some DVD5 conversion crap which I have no desire to do.

I have used DVD Decrypter, Alcohol 120% and IMG burn in an attempt to rip Xenosaga Episode 1 to an ISO for use in PSCX2.

The ISO is created flawlessly with the correct size.

As everyone knows, Xenosaga Episode 1 is (unfortuanatley) a DVD9. one of about 30 that were made for PS2. PSCX2 will not, no matter what I do, or what build I use, run any of these ISO's. Toxic patcher will not patch the file, and an MDS file does not help either.

The problem I have is always one of two results:

Result 1: The game opens, when pressing start new game, it goes to a black screen showing a radar in the lower right corner, you are able to pause, unpause and access the in game menu with no character icons or gameplay options using triangle.

This happens in P.e.o.p.s Verion 1.3 plugin with ISO loaded in Alcohol 120% or Daemon tools regardless of settings used on the plugin (I have tried them all)

This also happens with gigaherz plugin

This happens with ISO unloaded from all disc mounting software and run from Linuzappz plugin.

Depending on the build this will happen when running with the internal ISO loader with the Alcohol 120% produced ISO

Result 2:
The console will search for layer 1, find it and then constantly report "Cannot find layer 2....ignoring" and it will repeat this over and over again after PS2 bios screen sits at the Playstation 2 Logo. In some cases this will happen when attempting to start a new game instead of the above result

This happens only when using the internal ISO loader

The builds I have attempted to use are 0.9.7 r3878 (the latest)

and

I am at my wits end with this, and I REALLY don't want to resort converting the ISO into DVD5 format or any similar solution.

I have Windows 7 x64 and I have a BDROM drive as my physical optical drive. It is a Liteon 8X BDROM/DVDROM/CDROM Drive.

Any suggestions are appreciated.