Problems with ToA
Hi there everyone!

First of all I would like to state that this is my first time using PCSX2 so I would like to thank everyone in advance for help and support!

And now to the problem; I want to play Toa (Tales of the Abyss) on my pc but I can't get it to run smoothly!

Start video is unstable with lots of (big) pixels and a flickering image then on the moment is becomes a little bit stable I get the start screen (which works perfect btw)!When I start the game I get the begin video for only 6 seconds and then I get directed to the game which most of the time runs quite smoothly with some exceptions when talking to a character (the look sometimes like pieces of paper depending on the angle), some speed irregularities and direction difficulties!

Sound runs most of the times smooth but I guess because of the bad video it cannot always keep up and distorts!

I followed the configuration guide (at least the parts I could comprehent) but unfortunatelly no luck so I am asking for your help!

If someone has ToA (or FF X/XII which I guess would use the same configuration) or simply has a sollution to my problem then I kindly request your help!

My pc configuration is:

CPU: E6700
GC: 9800GTX 512MB
MEM: Hyper X 800MHz 4GB
Windows XP

If you need anymore details let me know and I will provide what I can!

Sponsored links

All of these bugs (and some more) are fixed by using a recent playground version of pcsx2.
I'd link you to the release but that one still has the crashing problem.
So get the build from this post and enjoy the game Smile
(12-27-2008, 05:45 PM)rama Wrote: All of these bugs (and some more) are fixed by using a recent playground version of pcsx2.
I'd link you to the release but that one still has the crashing problem.
So get the build from this post and enjoy the game Smile

Well I downloaded Playground SVN 505 but when I double click the executable I get a warning that gnu_gettext.dll cannot be found!

Like I said I am a newbie so I am probably doing something wrong so can you provide me with a step by step instalation/solution!

PS: I also tried to put Playground SVN 505 in the PCSX2 0.9.4 folder and then it worked but crashed before the game started!

Well I downloaded this Pcsx2_Pg_1.0.0395and the intro problems were solved so I am hoping that rest will as well! Thanks for your help and if I have any more problems then I will just post them Tongue
This probably doesn't belong here anymore since I am using playground now but since I can't move the topic myself then I will just continue on this thread and hopefully an admin will move the topic for me Smile!

Well the intro issues are solved...only problems now are the sound which speeds up and slows down with not an obvious reason but I don't consider it a major problem!

What is really bothering are the graphs (screen tearing?!?) and controls (I use a Logitech joupad)!

The screen is in perfect resolution when I stay still but the moment I move it starts to tear!For example when I turn my character I should see the back of his head but instead I get to see his face "glued" on the back of his head Huh...I think it has to do with the fps (non video fps between 40 and 50) but I am not sure!

About the controls...well they don't respond as I would like to so maybe I forgot to turn something on?!?

Once again I appreciate your help!
You can fix that "face at back of head" by activating logarithmic z in the GDSX config.
(12-27-2008, 08:27 PM)Blackclaw Wrote: You can fix that "face at back of head" by activating logarithmic z in the GDSX config.

That's solved but now the game seems to become very slow in some scenes...fps drops to 25-30 and sound is put in slowmo Huh
Well that only happened to me in some cities ... especially in front of the malkuth palace.

But its acceptable ^^

You can always overclock and play around with speedhacks.
Fighting for peace is like ***** for virginity ...

Failure is not an option | It is bundled with your Microsoft product
I'm able to run ToA at full speeds 90% of the time, so I'm thinking my setup barely reaches the optimum for it. So I'm guessing that if you have something better than or equal to a Core 2 Duo E6850 (3Ghz), 2 gb ram, and an 9800 GTX then you WILL be ablte to get it up to full speeds.

Did you enable all speed hacks except EE/IOP Sync Hack x3 (that one breaks the stuff a bit), also enable Flush to Zero and Denormals are Zero for VU Rec in the advanced menu. Also make sure your graphics plugin is configured right, if you have a decent gpu it's better to use hardware rendering instead of software, and if you're in vista use dx10 instead of dx9, and make sure you're using the graphics plugin that makes best use of your CPU (sse2, ssse3 or sse4.1 version). And if you have a dual core (which you really should if ytou want any speed at all) check the CPU menu to see if you have MTGS enabled. And last but not least, when i switched from revision 456 to 504 today i lost about 10% performance in ToA, so newer revision does not equal better.

I guess that's about everything you can do to get it running as smoothly as it can.
Im playing Tales of the Abyss using oficial release of Playground 0395.

The bug start in the area of Insta Marsh, when i engage in battle after i ended the fight the game crash... I managed to avoid any battle in the area, but when i battle the behemot and tried to escape happen the same bug again... The game crashes when i escape.
I tried various plugins and builds, but it always crashes, i tried too with psxc2 0.9.5 but if crashes always when i battle behemot...

I need help plz
Use the playground beta found on this forum, not the official release.