Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Processor Ok..but Motherboard???
Hello again.....earlier i asked you about core i3 processor and u suggested i3 550....@ 3.20 ghz with noctua nh d-14 air cooler...thats ok....Smile
But what about motherboard???? should it also be intel core i3 for good performance with the processor......pls help

I hope u read this, Bositman!Biggrin
[Image: wipe_b10.gif]

Sponsored links

It must have a compatible chipset and should be from a reliable manufacturer, optionally it should allow easy overclocking.
Imagination is where we are truly real
I recommend getting either Asus or Gigabyte, and it will have to be Socket 1156 to be compatible with the i3 550, no other restriction.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(09-08-2010, 09:40 AM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: It must have a compatible chipset and should be from a reliable manufacturer, optionally it should allow easy overclocking.

which one do u suggest?:Smile
(09-08-2010, 09:41 AM)Bositman Wrote: I recommend getting either Asus or Gigabyte, and it will have to be Socket 1156 to be compatible with the i3 550, no other restriction.

Thanks....another thing. I need explanation regarding sockets..

Wont intel motherboard itself be that compatible with its i3 processor???

can u list down motherboard from cheap to costliest as per u know . pls... thank u again..
[Image: wipe_b10.gif]
Yes you need an intel motherboard. But intel has several diffrent sockets, the one you need is socket 1156. Otherwise your cpu wont fit, it will be like getting a square into a round hole kind of thing.

As far as actual models go there are tons to choose from. Like bositman said asus and gigabyte are good manufacturers, Ive had nothing but good experiances with either of them.

Edit: On a side note, you will also need DDR3 memory. Atleast 2gb but I would recommend 4gb since the diffrence in price is quite small nowadays.
Specs:
CPU: C2D E8400 @ 3.6
GPU: GTX 560Ti 2Gb
MOB: Asus P5QL
RAM: Crucial 4Gb
An i3 with a noctua nh-d14 is kind of a dumb way to go.
Might as well go for an i5 750 with 212+ for about the same price.
I take it you want to do more than just pcsx2.
[Image: 1454055.png]
Might I add that i5 750 is the only Quad Core in the i5 series (750S is like the same). So it would be a much more worthy investment in the long run than i3.
CPU: i7 930 @ 2.8GHz(Everyday)/3.6GHz(Gaming)/4.0GHz(Encoding)
GPU: Geforce GTX 480 @ 850MHz/1001MHz
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E
RAM: 2x3 6GB OCZ @ 1527MHz 8-8-8-24
(09-10-2010, 02:02 AM)frosty5689 Wrote: Might I add that i5 750 is the only Quad Core in the i5 series (750S is like the same). So it would be a much more worthy investment in the long run than i3.

Not true. Intel recently released the Core i5-760 (slight speed-bump to 2.80GHz) to replace the year-old Core i5-750. Check out prices for both to figure out which one's the better buy. I've sometimes seen the i5-760 for less than the i5-750 after coupons. And yeah, I think the i5-750/760+$30 CPU cooler is a better option than the i3-550+$90 CPU cooler. Tongue2

Motherboard, again, Asus and Gigabyte are pretty good. Basically, any socket LGA-1156 motherboard would work. The ASUS P7P55 LX ($110 Newegg) looks to be a really nice board for the money. It has dual PCIe x16 slots (running at x16/x4) so you also have the option of running CrossFire later down the line.

How soon are you planning on building this thing? Because if you wait just a few more months, we'll have Sandy Bridge and from AnandTech's preview, it looks to be a pretty nice upgrade. The retail Core i5-2400 doesn't have HT so you can pretty much ignore the results with HT on, but even without HT, the performance improvement is quite impressive. It's pretty much on par with a $290 Lynnfield which isn't bad for a processor that's expected to have a release price of $200. The i7-880 used in the article is actually $500+ but that price is just ridiculous considering it's only 133MHz faster than the $300 i7-870.

*sigh* Too bad we still don't have any numbers from AMD for Bulldozer.
You forgot to mention that all sandy bridges except for the K versions will have a ~5% overclocking max.
current i7's/i5's overclocked will outperform it.

I do see this as a strategical move though.
Everyone went for the 930 instead of the more expensive 950 due to the same overclocking limits.
[Image: 1454055.png]
(09-11-2010, 01:56 PM)ChronicNL Wrote: You forgot to mention that all sandy bridges except for the K versions will have a ~5% overclocking max.
current i7's/i5's overclocked will outperform it.

5% overclocking max via FSB tweaking. Current rumors mention there will be some multiplier overhead for Sandy Bridge. At the very least, multipliers available via Turbo Boost should be available which doesn't exactly bode well for the next generation Core i3's which don't have Turbo Boost. Alas, you do lose the side benefits/improvements that come with FSB overclocks.

But you're right, Sandy Bridge overclocking is wait and see at this point. Although, if the Core i5-2500K is available for $216 (current i5-655K 1Ku pricing) or thereabouts, I think overclockers wouldn't mind.