Ps2 games to x86
So i was thinking when you run pcsx2 it translates the emotion engine into x86 but what i was thinking why not have games pretranslated to x86 to run smoother and work on low end pc's. Please let me know what you think it was just an idea i had.

Sponsored links

That's a good idea. But it would reauire the source code of each game. Those are copyrighted.
You just figured out what the difference is between a port and an emulator
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Problems with self-modifying code I assume.
(10-08-2015, 11:44 PM)MLGninjaBlade Wrote: So i was thinking when you run pcsx2 it translates the emotion engine into x86 but what i was thinking why not have games pretranslated to x86 to run smoother and work on low end pc's. Please let me know what you think it was just an idea i had.

You are absolutely right, but if anybody knows how to do so please try it out and let me know
(10-09-2015, 12:16 AM)MLGninjaBlade Wrote: You are absolutely right, but if anybody knows how to do so please try it out and let me know

Dogen's right. Stuff that is calculated at run time can't be emulated with a static recompiler
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
Well probably there are some often used simple instructions that could be cached. But I think this is already done.
Seems like a silly thing to worry about in the age of 8 core CPUs, DDR3 everywhere and 2/4GB GPUS mainstream. But when PCSX2 started our requiring a highly overclocked Intel Dual core or quad core, it would have been nice Tongue
(10-09-2015, 10:17 AM)willkuer Wrote: Well probably there are some often used simple instructions that could be cached. But I think this is already done.

I think that's what the jit does already.
(10-09-2015, 11:31 PM)dogen Wrote: I think that's what the jit does already.

yep thats how JIT/Dynarec's work.

Compile the code once, reuse compiled, optimised code.

If there's a change to the original code in that block, the block is cleared and it is recompiled.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]