Psx2 Lag on .hack GU
Just downloaded PSX2 latest release, using USA bios 2.0

System Specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Intel C2Q @ 2.4ghz
nVidia GTX 260 superclocked 216 896MB
Corsair DDR 2 6GB RAM

I have all the settings on stock and the game is lagging heavily during sequences and has other serious hiccups while playing.

Is it possible to play around with the settings to be able to use PSX2 at PS2 frames or is this emulator primarily CPU based? And if so, does it utilize multiple cores or not?

Sponsored links

You're asking a F.A.Q..

Read more in the stickies. Smile
I've determined that my CPU is bottlenecking my performance. I'm thinking of OCing it but I broke some clips on my heat sink when I built my tower and it doesn't stick as closely to the CPU as it should (heat is much higher than it should be).

I noticed that EE is always at 99% while my GS has topped at 40% during max game load.
Frame rates have dropped to as low as 34.

If I overclock to 3.0ghz will that be enough to run the last gen of PS2 games like .hack gu series? If not, what is the recommended CPU speed to run all PS2 games w/ a breeze.
(05-09-2011, 06:41 AM)psx2fan Wrote: I've determined that my CPU is bottlenecking my performance. I'm thinking of OCing it but I broke some clips on my heat sink when I built my tower and it doesn't stick as closely to the CPU as it should (heat is much higher than it should be).

Don't overclock until you fix that.

(05-09-2011, 06:41 AM)psx2fan Wrote: I noticed that EE is always at 99% while my GS has topped at 40% during max game load.
Frame rates have dropped to as low as 34.

With a 2.4Ghz Core 2 and a GTX 260, the CPU will most always be the bottleneck. The EE% just confirms it in this case.

(05-09-2011, 06:41 AM)psx2fan Wrote: If I overclock to 3.0ghz will that be enough to run the last gen of PS2 games like .hack gu series? If not, what is the recommended CPU speed to run all PS2 games w/ a breeze.

First off, there is no dividing up PS2 games by generation with PCSX2. What appears to be a more demanding game (better graphics, etc...) is not necessarily going to be one of the harder games to run well. I've seen enough cases where newer games emulate better than a older ones.

3.0Ghz will make a nice difference, but it most likely won't turn 35fps into 60fps. You still shouldn't OC with a bad cooling situation, though. You're call, I guess...

Have you tried Speedhacks?
When trying to judge how an overclock will do with PCSX2, it's almost exactly the same as the overclock amount.

That is, if your CPU capped at 40FPS and you managed 25% overclock (roughly the amount of 2.4ghz to 3ghz) you can expect a 25% FPS boost (or 50FPS).

The .hack//gu series is pretty demanding, you can expect to still get slowdowns at 3ghz in a lot of situations.
[Image: 2748844.png]
(05-09-2011, 08:21 AM)Rezard Wrote: Have you tried Speedhacks?

I just tried speedhacks and it has boosted my FPS significantly, game runs much smoother now in a lot of places, thanks. My FPS have not dropped below 40 during the most intense load in game. I lowered CPU load by 50% in the hack section. Game averages around 57-60 majority of the time.

How do the core i7's work with emulators, are they much more powerful?

I'm thinking of waiting for more of intel's 6-core line to develop before jumping in and rebuilding my rig with some heavy OC'ing unless any of you guys can recommend me a CPU that I would be good to grab with this setup and OC it.
1: set the affinities to TWO cores, and make sure it's set to high performance

2: speedhacks are not required for 0.9.8 for anything 2.2 or higher (I would know, I have a 2.2 and I get full fps)

3: try setting the clamps on EE and VU to NONE
^Did the above and I experience heavy lag without the speedhacks.

With speedhacks on (50% load off CPU), native PS2 solution scaling, and removing the clamps the lowest FPS drop I'm getting is around 40 in the busy areas.

Within rest of the game it's playable but not smooth and fast.
VU cycle stealing will give you the most FPS boost in the //gu series but setting too high will cause both slowdowns and odd model glitches.
[Image: 2748844.png]
(05-09-2011, 11:14 PM)psx2fan Wrote: ^Did the above and I experience heavy lag without the speedhacks.

then there's something wrong with your PC