Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question Time: Would Next-gen be easier to Emulate?
okay guys bear with me and my logic.

Based on RUMORED specs
next gen PS4/Xbox are going be using amd 8 core processors.

which got me thinking.

Wouldnt it be easier to emulate because both PC and the console being emulated being of x86 nature?

because in the past you needed alot of increased power to translate from lets say the powerpc arcitecture to x86 .

but what about x86 to x86 ?sure they will still have custom modified gpus & ram. but in theory wouldn't it require a less processing power to run such an emulator?

would like to hear your thoughts on the matter.

all hypothical atm
CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.5ghz http://valid.canardpc.com/2607863
MOBO: Asrock Z75 Pro 3
RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaw X 1333mhz DDR3 ram.
GPU : Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 @ 1200/1450 clocks http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/kasmr/

[Image: 57b2818f7d1b5841.png]

Sponsored links

It will get as much interest as XBox emulation Wink
[Image: ref_sig_anim.gif]
Like our Facebook Page and visit our Facebook Group!
I think refraction is right, there's probably going to be less incentive regardless of the similar architecture. I would bet at least 99% of third party games are multiplatform, and over half of them will be on PC too.

Also I don't know anything about programming but from what I've read it sounds like a console's 2ghz CPU will give much better results than the same CPU in a PC because there's less overhead (you don't have to be concerned with countless PC setups). So even if someone coded an emu you'd still need a PC from the future to get 60fps Tongue
@synce

you could sell all games on all platforms. so 50% pc "ports" is really low. i'd think there could be more.

consoles are faster cause the hardware can be addressed more directly. simplified drivers, less driver footprint. and you don't need a monster pc to emulate a pc identical system. you need similar specs tho. the rest is just software emulation.
You wish my friend, you wish the future would be less complex, but the present shows complexity by his creation. what you think about the emulation of Neo-Geo games and the CPS1-CPS2-CPS3 games on WinKawaks ? they are simple ? easier to emulate ? yes they are. but the are the begining of the emulation. they don't need aggressive hardware to emulate games. and what about the psx ? is more complex then the WinKawaks, But still can emulate on easy machine. but the pcsx2 i't piece of compelxity hardware for emulate games. i think the complexity hardware/sofware for emulation games will grow and grow every generation.
Yes because the hardware of the next gen console are using pc components rather than something like the cell processor.
(01-30-2013, 06:50 PM)Barack Obama Wrote: Yes because the hardware of the next gen console are using pc components rather then something like the cell processor.

Want something more "alien" to x86 than EE + VU with lots of 128 registers broken into 4 32 bits registers each... and trying to keep track on all that mess in the relatively few general purpose x86 registers?

Man, that alone is guilt of most difficulty and huge performance hit moving register ids and values all the time into and from memory (and the paradise at same time than the hell for optimizations and people trying to optimize the thing).

Even Wii "Broadway" pales with it's few registers in comparison, so there is not much of that dance to keep track and assigning registers in it's emulation.
Imagination is where we are truly real
If the X720 uses Windows, then there's the probability of seeing a loader instead of an emulator. Like those arcade machines using a PC with Windows XP.
[Image: nbKSK.jpg]
Right, I think it'd be a bit pointless to "emulate" those x86 machines Tongue2
(01-31-2013, 02:51 PM)rama Wrote: Right, I think it'd be a bit pointless to "emulate" those x86 machines Tongue2

well hopefully there would be a loader.

i just hate exclusives to consoles which force me to buy consoles to play said games. |:

for example. that metal gear ground zeroes demo/trailer was SHOWN on PC specs.

But would be sad if it ONLY came out for PS4/720 whatever when it was clearly shown on high end PC specs.

last metal gear game on pc was metal gear solid 2.... im sadden |:

hopefully it comes to PC. the demo looked amazing and i would love to have metal gear native on the PC again. otherwise id be forced to buy a
PS4.

But if what your saying is possible. which they just have a "loader" that would be pretty nice. cut out the middle system and just buy the games.Laugh
CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.5ghz http://valid.canardpc.com/2607863
MOBO: Asrock Z75 Pro 3
RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaw X 1333mhz DDR3 ram.
GPU : Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 @ 1200/1450 clocks http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/kasmr/

[Image: 57b2818f7d1b5841.png]