Question about ZoE2 slow speed
The game normally runs at above 100fps(2x scaling)but there is something I don't understand.

In the second stage when you fight against Anubis,the vram usage is A LOT(I have 2gb vram but it can go even above that(starting to use the system ram))

If I enable "Allow 8-bit textures",there will be a huge drop in the vram usage but the speed will not change much and the gpu usage will go up(around 75%)

If I switch to software mode,the gpu\vram usage will drop and the speed will be almost the same.

If MTVU is enabled,when I close the game window in software(rarely in hw)mode,pcsx2 will continue to make huge cpu usage even tho,nothing is running(attempting to close pcsx2 will close the window but not the process)

Why does this happen...is it a bug with GSdx\pcsx2 or the game have really high requirements.

PS.Just as info,that part of the game is totally unplayable in hw mode with weak gpu(tried hd4600 and the speed was around 3fps with +2gb ram usage).

Sponsored links

(12-24-2014, 09:35 AM)vsub Wrote: Why does this happen...is it a bug with GSdx\pcsx2 or the game have really high requirements.
looks like a bug to me at the given condition.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(12-24-2014, 09:35 AM)vsub Wrote: The game normally runs at above 100fps(2x scaling)but there is something I don't understand.

In the second stage when you fight against Anubis,the vram usage is A LOT(I have 2gb vram but it can go even above that(starting to use the system ram))

If I enable "Allow 8-bit textures",there will be a huge drop in the vram usage but the speed will not change much and the gpu usage will go up(around 75%)

If I switch to software mode,the gpu\vram usage will drop and the speed will be almost the same.

If MTVU is enabled,when I close the game window in software(rarely in hw)mode,pcsx2 will continue to make huge cpu usage even tho,nothing is running(attempting to close pcsx2 will close the window but not the process)

Why does this happen...is it a bug with GSdx\pcsx2 or the game have really high requirements.

PS.Just as info,that part of the game is totally unplayable in hw mode with weak gpu(tried hd4600 and the speed was around 3fps with +2gb ram usage).

It's not a bug, it's because of what "Allow 8 bit textures" does and it's purpose. Normally GSdx converts 8 bit textures to 16 or 32 bit ones. This as you might guess takes more memory, but modern GPUs work faster with those textures than 8 bit ones. However in some cases if there is a flood of 8 bit textures it can eat a lot of VRAM. In this case, ticking "Allow 8 bit textures" uses them as is without converting, and thus the vram usage goes down.

ZOE2 is one of the most demanding games in PCSX2.

However aside from what I've explained, it does sound like something weird is going on behind the scenes. Maybe try patching with the 4GB patch and see if that helps.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(12-24-2014, 09:49 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Maybe try patching with the 4GB patch and see if that helps.

How and how will that help?
The vram usage at native is 1.9gb but the limit is 3.6gb because I have +1.6gb shared memory.

Using "Allow 8-bit textures" reduces the usage to vram to ~160mb and the gpu usage goes to around 60%(just checked)

Using the HD4600 in hw mode uses a 2gb ram and the speed is too low.
Yeah,how will the 4gb patch help in this condition ? and, how could more 8 bit texture's be more demanding than more 16/32 bit texture's since, Allowing 8 bit textures to be processed natively, uses less VRAM, but only adds more work for the inline shader.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(12-24-2014, 10:05 AM)vsub Wrote: How and how will that help?
The vram usage at native is 1.9gb but the limit is 3.6gb because I have +1.6gb shared memory.

Using "Allow 8-bit textures" reduces the usage to vram to ~160mb and the gpu usage goes to around 60%(just checked)

Using the HD4600 in hw mode uses a 2gb ram and the speed is too low.

I was talking about regarding the weird MTVU issue you were having. Although MTVU is known to slowdown ZOE2 anyway.

(12-24-2014, 11:04 AM)ssakash Wrote: Yeah,how will the 4gb patch help in this condition ? and, how could more 8 bit texture's be more demanding than more 16/32 bit texture's since, Allowing 8 bit textures to be processed natively, uses less VRAM, but only adds more work for the inline shader.

It's a trade off, exactly as I explained. More vram usage vs more shader work.
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(12-24-2014, 08:19 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: It's a trade off, exactly as I explained. More vram usage vs more shader work.

But the game is not using all of the available video + system shared ram in hardware mode.

PCSX2:
30% CPU usage(core1 60%,core2 15%,core3 92%,core5 72% and core7 55%)
~400mb ram
30% GPU usage
1.84gb video ram and 60mb shared(the video ram and the shared are constantly changing)

Allowing 8bit texture makes the shader to run at 500mhz faster(2.5ghz) compared to when it's not enabled,the vram usage drops a lot,the gpu usage goes up but the gpu core speed goes down
(12-24-2014, 08:41 PM)vsub Wrote: But the game is not using all of the available video + system shared ram in hardware mode.

PCSX2:
30% CPU usage(core1 60%,core2 15%,core3 92%,core5 72% and core7 55%)
~400mb ram
30% GPU usage
1.84gb video ram and 60mb shared(the video ram and the shared are constantly changing)

Allowing 8bit texture makes the shader to run at 500mhz faster(2.5ghz) compared to when it's not enabled,the vram usage drops a lot,the gpu usage goes up but the gpu core speed goes down

8 bit textures shouldn't really affect the CPU or system RAM. Only VRAM and shader.

It seems your GPU dynamically allocates itself, and when there is high shader use, it lowers the core clock a bit. It's expected that allowing 8 bit textures would increase shader use.

That's all I can tell you.