Question about cheats on 0.9.7!
Im currently playing Persona 3 FES ps2 iso and i was wondoring how do you import cheats into the pcsx2 version 0.9.7 (r3113)? Ive looked it up and found tutorial on .pnach files or whatever but I do not understand them so im in need for some help to get cheats.

**JUST REMEMBER IF YOU GO TO TELL HOW ITS DONE MAKE IT OBVIOUSLY STUPID =D**

The cheats im looking for are:

-About 3000 exp after battles for player/party (cause leveling in getting hard since im near finished)
-About 3000 exp after battles for persona (cause leveling in getting hard since im near finished)

If anyone could explain to me how to get these cheats and to enable them it would be very appreciated.

Sponsored links

It's really simple, every pnach code has the form
Code:
patch=1,EE,xxxxxxxx,extended,yyyyyyyy  (where the x part is the address offset and y part is the actual value to be placed in that address)

--- "byte", "short" and "word" can be used instead "extended" but we will stick with this last one.

Now you'll need the actual code for your game correct version, you should not attempt to use a NTSC code in a PAL game or otherwise. The codes can be from several actual devices, the most commonly used is the codebreaker although the same reasoning applies to the other formats.

All codebreaker codes consist in one or more pairs "address - value" and they MUST be decrypted before being placed in the pnach. To do it you can use the "omniconvert" utility you find in the web (Internet). It's important you note the code's version, code breaker has two encrypting forms, the first for all versions unto v6 and the second from version 7 and above, the first commonly called v6 and the second v7+.

Enter the codes pairs into the omniconvert left window and chose one those above versions as Input and standard/raw as output.

Replace the decrypted address (always the first on the pair) for the xxxxxxxxx in pnach and the value replaces the yyyyyyyy (remember, all the leading zeros must be there, never change 00000063 for just 63). All addresses and values are 8 digits longs and are hexadecimal and not decimal, keep it in mind if changing values.

repeat one line for each code pair (that means if the actual code has 2 or more pairs it will have 2 or more pnach lines.

Don't use the master code in pnach files.

obs: the patch=1 means the code is continually applied, you should use this value always (zero means the code is applied only once but is not trivial the usage).

Important, when creating a pnach file make sure Windows explorer is seated to SHOW file extensions, if it's not the final result will be somename.pnach.TXT and this does not works of course.

to avoid/prevent a cheat from being applied just comment it's line with a double slash "//"

That's it, now you just need the actual codes.
Imagination is where we are truly real
I really don't want to hijack someone's thread, but this question seems relevant enough for me to ask here-if it doesn't I'll make a thread about it separately. Does pcsx2 0.9.7 use a different format of cheats, etc than the previous 0.9.6? I am currently trying to play FFXII and cannot get the cheats to work-I know my cheats folder is set up right because the cheatsg worked fine for FFX. Now in case my pnach file was wrong, I loaded FFXII up in 0.9.6 with the same pnach file and everything worked out great. Should I have changed something? Of course I can always just play using 0.9.6, but I was just curious. And because 0.9.7 is awesome so I would prefer to use it.
No, it's the same format, just the files are now placed in the "cheats" folder instead the "patches" folder (this folder goes in the same place the pcsx2.exe is).

Still you need to explicitly "enable cheats" in the GUI, notice the "Enable patches" is for another purpose now, and it can automatically apply the game fixes for the game being played provided it is in the Games Database file supplied with the emulator.

If it still fails, look at that Windows "feature" to "hide the extension for known files" thing ... or you will get an invisible .txt in the file instead a .pnach

PS: Never is too much to remember: avoid installing games (any game) in the C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) folder, this can spare you from many headaches. This is for Vista and Seven only... XP users don't have problem with it.
I finally opened up the output and see this lovely error message when I load the game

[wx] can't open file 'cheats\0779fbdb.pnach' (error 2: the system cannot find the file specified.)

I have double-checked to make sure it is a .pnach file and I can't for the life of me figure out why it works for FFX and not FFXII.
Are they in the same folder? are you sure it's a 0779fbdb.pnach and not 0779fbdb.pnach.txt file?
is the CRC (it's name) the same reported in the emulator's console?

Finally, is the emulator installed in the C:\Program Files (x86) if windows Vista or 7?

PS: Notice none these issues above are PCSX2 to blame.

To gain time and to help someone yet not acquainted with that "lovely" feature from windows ... Open the Explorer

Click "Organize" -> Click "Folder and Search Options" -> in the new window click the "View" tab ... locate the "Hide extension for known files" and make sure this accursed thing is NOT ticked.
Oh my god, I finally figured out the problem! You were right! It was in the wrong programs file folder! I had an exact copy of the pcsx2 folder on my desktop that I thought it was running from because it had all the cheats, but I forgot I put a copy of the FFX cheats in the program files folder!

I feel really stupid now, but thank you so much!!
You shouldn't. These lapses are more common than you imagine, myself being very acquainted with them Smile

The only thing I'm sure to never forget anymore is the Golden Rule: Never install games in those Program Files folder ...
One day you'll find out why. PS: Murphy's Law will grant it will happen with some those games that allow mods and after many of them are already installed....
(08-12-2010, 08:47 AM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: It's really simple, every pnach code has the form
Code:
patch=1,EE,xxxxxxxx,extended,yyyyyyyy  (where the x part is the address offset and y part is the actual value to be placed in that address)

--- "byte", "short" and "word" can be used instead "extended" but we will stick with this last one.

Now you'll need the actual code for your game correct version, you should not attempt to use a NTSC code in a PAL game or otherwise. The codes can be from several actual devices, the most commonly used is the codebreaker although the same reasoning applies to the other formats.

All codebreaker codes consist in one or more pairs "address - value" and they MUST be decrypted before being placed in the pnach. To do it you can use the "omniconvert" utility you find in the web (Internet). It's important you note the code's version, code breaker has two encrypting forms, the first for all versions unto v6 and the second from version 7 and above, the first commonly called v6 and the second v7+.

Enter the codes pairs into the omniconvert left window and chose one those above versions as Input and standard/raw as output.

Replace the decrypted address (always the first on the pair) for the xxxxxxxxx in pnach and the value replaces the yyyyyyyy (remember, all the leading zeros must be there, never change 00000063 for just 63). All addresses and values are 8 digits longs and are hexadecimal and not decimal, keep it in mind if changing values.

repeat one line for each code pair (that means if the actual code has 2 or more pairs it will have 2 or more pnach lines.

Don't use the master code in pnach files.

obs: the patch=1 means the code is continually applied, you should use this value always (zero means the code is applied only once but is not trivial the usage).

Important, when creating a pnach file make sure Windows explorer is seated to SHOW file extensions, if it's not the final result will be somename.pnach.TXT and this does not works of course.

to avoid/prevent a cheat from being applied just comment it's line with a double slash "//"

That's it, now you just need the actual codes.

Sorry for the late reply, was little busy yesterday. But thanks for the information but since im not all that smart with the "decrypting" part of this thing. How do i get these decrypted codes with omniconvert? And what are these v6 and v7+ you speak off? The rest i think i understand but its just the decryting codes and stuff near the top im confused about. Sorry for the trouble =)
Well, for the decryption part you just need to copy/paste those code pairs into the omiconvert left window, click the button and the result shows up in the right window.

v6 means all versions of codebreaker from the first until 6 and v7+ means all versions from the seventh to the last one. That is meaningful because from version 7 the encryption method was changed.

The usage is really simple, no secrets at all.